11-23-2015 01:35 PM
454 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    If I purchase the unlocked 950 from Microsoft, I know I'll get OS updates directly from MS. But what about firmware updates? Will those come from MS as well, or only from the carrier I connect to?
    Good question. My hunch is this "AT&T only" thing is about AT&T letting Microsoft directly update the phones with very little interference. My guess is other carriers could not guarantee that. Since WaaS is such a big deal even for Mobile, I think Microsoft said "it has to be this way or no way".

Only way to prove this will be to see how AT&T 950 is treated for its first update. Time will tell, but that is my best guess.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:33 AM
    Also, Dan? Arts Technica reported some 3D performance degradation on Gfx bench marks. Can you try resource intensive games like Asphalt 8 and Mortal Combat to see how it substantiates into real world performance?
    Peter also noted he saw no real world effect of those benchmarks and I'd agree. Games run fast and smooth, no issues.
    DoctorSaline likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:33 AM
    Will the 950 or any Win10 phone ever get T-Mobile WiFi calling and VVM? Is this a TMo thing or a MS thing? I just made the switch from ATT to TMo and I miss VVM: And I really miss the WiFi calling my wife's crApple 6Sux has. Please puffer some sign of hope, especially for the white dual SIM 950 that is waiting at the MS store for me to pick up.
    VVM maybe if it's standard. Not sure bout Wi-Fi calling but last I heard there is some special firmware needed to make that happen.
    11-21-2015 11:34 AM
    Hi Dan

Two questions which has not been asked anyone in the forumn

1) Do you know who makes the image sensor of 950? As L1020 was made by Toshiba

2) LG V10 has both AMP & DAC which will be great for Audiophile fans, do you see Lumia or Surface Phone ever going down the Audio route?

Thanks!
    1. I do not, but will try to find out
    2. I mean, we had that in some HTC windows phones I believe. Yeah, I would imagine a 'Surface Phone' would have those too.
    Rickosw and jmajid like this.
    11-21-2015 11:35 AM
    Hi Dan,

Maybe a dumb question, but what do you expect to be the differences between the AT&T 950 and the unlocked one. Other than the phone being locked to AT&T and the obvious pre-installed apps, should we expect no other differences? AT&T will fling tons of money at me for buying a 950 and trading in my Icon, but I don't want to be stuck waiting on AT&T for upgrades or other issues.

Thanks!
    I do not expect any other differences besides the inclusion of PMA in addition to Qi. See my earlier response about AT&T upgrades. My hunch is AT&T will let MS update these frequently. AT&T and MS have a very good relationship.
    11-21-2015 11:38 AM
    I read a review on C|NET that said the Continuum dock was constantly losing its connection to the phone, have you been having the same problem?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    I have had no issues. I mean, it's cables, so if one is bad or loose...
    the_moesiah likes this.
    hi dan
    1.950 or 950XL for a new windows phone user (both phones will be without a contract)
    2.are u using a case or not ? if yes which one?
    Daniel, while using continuum what happens if we try to open a non-universal app in the monitor? Or does it show only universal app in the app list?
    You can't. Those apps are greyed out and you get a message telling you they do not run.
    agent67 and ectobs like this.
    Are you having any issues with WiFi? My new 950 keeps dropping my Wifi signal and yet my 1520 has no problems (running side-by-side with SIM in 950). Also, I've noticed that after about 7 hours of use everything on my 950 has come to a crawling stop. Have you experienced this? Store freezes when opening, apps like Audible, Store, ESPN or Shazam get a white screen when I try and open and then just shut the app down.
    No, I have not.
    11-21-2015 11:45 AM
    Windows 10 mobile seems to have many rough edges. Do you think that Microsoft is committed to their mobile OS business or going to kill it eventually.
    Yes, as i have explained before mobile is a big part of their Windows 10 UWP model.
    Dan

Do you know if AT&T kept the data toggle option in the action center for W10M 950?
    Hi Dan,

Got an ATT Lumia 950 and am impressed with my experience so far. One thing I am not finding however, is the Hey Cortana function. Is it in this build or planned for future release?
    It is there. I'll be doing a how-to likely today.
    Hi Dan,

Quick question; does Edge on mobile support cast like on the desktop? I believe other apps such as Music and Videos also support cast on Desktop. Is it the same on Mobile?
    No, I do not see it there. For casting on mobile though i swear by Tubecast.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:46 AM
    I just got my 950 today. Set up was a breeze. Loving the new Windows 10 UI. However, I lost the ability to use my Nokia Treasure Tag; no app now. Any ideas why? Or when a WP10 version will be made available? Thanks Dan. -Dan G
    Try using the Gadgets app to set it up.
    jmajid likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:46 AM
    OK, I have 2 questions....

1: With the dock, can you select screen mirroring? Similar to the way you can using Continuum via wireless?
    2: Have you tried some native USB C adapters like USB C to displayport, hdmi, ethernet, etc?
    1. I'm pretty sure yes, but I'll try to confirm on Monday
    2. No, but I'm looking order a few and will try
    ashram likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:47 AM
    Hey Dan, does 950 have Dolby Digital and Virtual Surround feature in Audio?
    No, not yet. Not sure it is coming although I'd like to think it is.
    Ashish Gupta888 likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:47 AM
    Hey Dan, I know you've liked the Galaxy 6 Edge's camera quite a lot. In your time with the new Lumias, do you think the camera is as good or better than the Samsung?
    I think in many ways it is better, but GSE still has advantages e.g. pano, filters, etc.
    bsbharath1987 likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:48 AM
    Hi Dan, I really liked (to point of relying on) Gestures Beta on my Lumia 920 but it doesn't seem to work in the W10 preview. Does the Lumia 950 have anything similar out of the box?
    Unfortunately, no. I'm not sure if it will either, but it could be taking time to port. I really think Microsoft will add features to these phones over the next few months.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:49 AM
    Hi Dan,

I also like this question, but would like to broaden it a bit. I suspect many of us are trying to decide whether to buy the ATT 950 now or buy the unlocked one next week. What we need to know is what are the differences between the two products?

Wireless Charging: Qi, PMA, Both, are they different in this regard?
    Updates: Will Microsoft Branded phone get updates that ATT will block or delay (Outside of Insiders)?
    Is the Unlocked one still an ATT branded phone, just unlocked?
    Are the cellular bands and frequencies the same for both phones?
    Are there any other differences?
    Unlocked just Qi; only AT&T has PMA + Qi
    See my earlier responses, I think AT&T will still have 'lite' approval but they will let MS update more frequently. I really think this is why AT&T was chosen to sell the 950 as other carriers would not concede that to Microsoft.
    The only thing branded on AT&T's is a globe stamp on the back cover, the firmware specifying and some preinstalled apps. I don't expect any of that in the unlocked version.
    I don't believe there are any other differences with the radios.
    11-21-2015 11:51 AM
    1. What do you think will be the successor to the 950?

2. Do you think it would be a good idea to merge the previous plans with McLaren with the Surface Phone?

3. Do you think its successor will have better sounding equipment (speakers and Dolby Audio support)?
    1. I'll have more on this later this week
    2. Those are two hypotheticals, so I would need to know more before I could weigh in on it
    3. Yes
    jmajid likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:52 AM
    Is Lumia 950 use the same pixel oversampling technique (like Lumia 1520)?
    I'm not sure, but my guess is no due to 20MP being more manageable for the processor. Plus, newer algorithms may have negated its need.
    kittananj likes this.
    11-21-2015 11:52 AM
    A question regarding Continuum:
    - Can you turn off the phone's screen when the phone is connected to the Dock and used as a PC for Universal apps ?
    No, it breaks the connection.
    11-21-2015 11:53 AM
    Hello,
    does the display use a pentile stripe?
    Thanks for the answer.
    I do not believe so. The resolution is so high you cannot 'see' any of the pixels/artifacts typically experienced by AMOLED.
    11-21-2015 11:53 AM
    Hi Dan,
    I was wondering if you can use office (not just read, but editing and creating new documents as well) with continuum without having an office365 subscription? Since they said office is basically free to use under probably 8" or so, but with continuum you use it with a device under 8" on a display over this limit...
    99.9% sure you do not need an Office 265 sub. The phone does not show up under my sub and I have no reason to believe you need one. Office is just free and included AFAIK.
    11-21-2015 11:54 AM
    Hey,
    I just saw your video of the USB OTG function of the lumia 950. However, I believe I read somewhere it also supports arduino. Is this true and if so, how does this work exactly?
    No idea, sorry. Will keep it in mind.
    11-21-2015 11:54 AM
454 ... 910111213 ...