AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Today we see the inaugural Ask Me Anything (A.M.A.) with our very own Editor-In-Chief, Dan Rubino. Dan has been writing insightful articles for Windows Central for quite a while and we've all enjoyed his candid views on everything Microsoft. So here's your chance to have a 'sit-down' and get some of those burning questions off your chest.

The topic for this AMA? Microsoft's new flagship phone, the Lumia 950.

How does this work? Simple, ask your questions about anything related to the Lumia 950 in the thread below, and Dan will be on-hand to answer your questions, thoughts, comments about this device, how it will resonate with consumers and the industry as a whole and how it will perform in the real world. Dan will be answering questions today from 4pm ET through the weekend as and where he can.

Get your thinking caps on and ask away!

[note]Please keep questions on topic at all times. We expect all members to respect one another and adhere to the Mobile Nations Community Rules & Guidelines[/note]

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions, Dan!

Based on pictures/videos I've seen of the Lumia 950 & 950XL, it doesn't look like these new Lumias have the curved glass display edges that previous flagship Lumias have had. The glass just looks completely flat. Is that the case? And if so, why do you believe the Lumia team moved away from that style of display glass?

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I know your review has your impressions of the camera on the 950, Dan, so please humour me. How would you rate it, on a scale of 10? Especially when compared to other flagship cameras out there?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Will the Lumia 950 be a resounding success outside the United States?

Doubtful, but it may keep the pulse on Windows Mobile alive until later next year. I think there will be a lot of progress in the OS and apps over the next six months that will keep things interesting.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I know your review has your impressions of the camera on the 950, Dan, so please humour me. How would you rate it, on a scale of 10? Especially when compared to other flagship cameras out there?

Easily a 9 maybe a 10. I would like a few more features e.g. ability to blur the background like on the Nexus 5x or some 'plugins' like my Galaxy S6 Edge.

Image quality, however, is outstanding. Images are super sharp with a lot of detail.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
It's been mentioned that you can record calls on the 950. Is this something exclusive to the new flagships or is this something coming to existing phones?

jeffgeno

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
How about the speed of the camera? The time out of the pocket, holding down the camera button to launch the software, and getting a picture? The 920 and 1020 were somewhat slow to launch the camera application and then slow to focus and get a shot.

MMissionary

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
How well does the windows Central app run? Also does it run hot? In the review you said comfortably warm but that varies between the individual.

jsblumen

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I am thinking about upgrading my Lumia 920 to the Lumia 950, but I have a few reservations. I plan on getting the Lumia 950 on a two year contract and fear that a better Windows Phone may be released (one with an intel processor) and I will still be stuck with the Lumia 950. Is it worth getting the Lumia 950 over upgrading my Lumia 920 to Windows 10 mobile? Is there flash support in the edge browser both on the phone and when using continuum? Do you think the app situation will improve one project islandwood is completed?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
It's been mentioned that you can record calls on the 950. Is this something exclusive to the new flagships or is this something coming to existing phones?

Yeah, audio recording for calls is super cool. I'll do an article on that soon. Regarding coming to existing hardware I am not too sure, but it sounds like it may either need firmware or it is a new hardware feature of these Lumias. I'll try to find out more.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
How fast is the camera? Lumia cameras always took high quality pictures, but they were slow to capture images, which caused me to miss a lot of shots. Has this improved?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How well does the windows Central app run? Also does it run hot? In the review you said comfortably warm but that varies between the individual.

I'm only running our new universal app, which runs fantastic.

I never had the phone get hot. It can get warm under heavy load, but nothing to worry about and it is kind of rare TBH. My Lumia 1520 runs hotter and this is much more evenly distributed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb