AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking about upgrading my Lumia 920 to the Lumia 950, but I have a few reservations. I plan on getting the Lumia 950 on a two year contract and fear that a better Windows Phone may be released (one with an intel processor) and I will still be stuck with the Lumia 950. Is it worth getting the Lumia 950 over upgrading my Lumia 920 to Windows 10 mobile? Is there flash support in the edge browser both on the phone and when using continuum? Do you think the app situation will improve one project islandwood is completed?

It's all but guaranteed a new phone will be released before your upgrade is due. Cadence is annual for most companies, people gave MS LOTS of crap because the Icon was the last flagship, and it's not even 2 years old. If you want to upgrade early, go on AT&T's NEXT plan, or pay full price.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any of the Mozo(?) covers to try? Does that mitigate some of your criticism regarding appearance? EDIT: damn, asked a few seconds too late!

Oh, and did you get a chance to check the audio properties on a video file to see if it records in stereo?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How fast is the camera? Lumia cameras always took high quality pictures, but they were slow to capture images, which caused me to miss a lot of shots. Has this improved?

It's very fast for capturing photos. Just tap tap tap and keep taking images. Processing them using Rich Capture is another thing. That can take 5-7 seconds per image, but it all happens in the background. You could also turn it off. I have seen even Android phones do this when they do extra image features e.g. Nexus 5X and its 'blur background' feature.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How about the speed of the camera? The time out of the pocket, holding down the camera button to launch the software, and getting a picture? The 920 and 1020 were somewhat slow to launch the camera application and then slow to focus and get a shot.

It's very fast. No complaints. Not sure what the Verge was alluding to in their "review".

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's very fast for capturing photos. Just tap tap tap and keep taking images. Processing them using Rich Capture is another thing. That can take 5-7 seconds per image, but it all happens in the background. You could also turn it off. I have seen even Android phones do this when they do extra image features e.g. Nexus 5X and its 'blur background' feature.
Is burst mode available?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I am thinking about upgrading my Lumia 920 to the Lumia 950, but I have a few reservations. I plan on getting the Lumia 950 on a two year contract and fear that a better Windows Phone may be released (one with an intel processor) and I will still be stuck with the Lumia 950. Is it worth getting the Lumia 950 over upgrading my Lumia 920 to Windows 10 mobile? Is there flash support in the edge browser both on the phone and when using continuum? Do you think the app situation will improve one project islandwood is completed?

Tough call. I really think something will be out late next year that will be much better, but that is literally always the case. I'd think about moving to a once-a-year upgrade path if you're this much into technology. Things are changing too fast these days.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
What is, in your opinion, the top one, two or more features that we can point to when (politely of course) telling "Fandroids" and "iSheep" to shut up with the jeering and criticisms?

Oh, and how can we get that new universal WC app?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
How does it feel after playing some games? Does get hot like Icon or 925 or quite better?

It gets warm, but not hot and is evenly distributed. I haven't played too many games on it because I work for a living (JK), but I'll try later tonight for a bit if I get a moment.

coasterfreak212

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey Dan, question about backups. I plan to upgrade to from a Lumia 1520. Do I need to do anything fancy to pull my upgrade from Microsoft Servers, or is it just like previous upgrades?

Shohruh Shamanov

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello Daniel! Since you connected your phone to the monitors via Continuum, the monitor supports only Full HD, but will Microsoft eventually eventually increase the resolution to 4K?

bwgolfer

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm having issues with the new Heath App on the 950 and my Band 2. MS support says the band 2 is not yet compatible with Windows 10. Have you been able to sync your 950 phone with your Band 2?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Is there any reason NOT to buy this particular phone if one is set on getting a Windows 10 Mobile phone? Any potential dealbreakers (apart from apps)?

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm only running our new universal app, which runs fantastic.

I never had the phone get hot. It can get warm under heavy load, but nothing to worry about and it is kind of rare TBH. My Lumia 1520 runs hotter and this is much more evenly distributed.

Maybe you should share some screenshots of that universal WC app. Give us a sneak peek XD

Question: What's the sound quality using headphones on Lumia 950 compared to other Lumias? Is it any louder? Can it stand against iPhone or phones with Beats audio?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The specs seem to support the unlocked version of the 950 on T-Mobile's network in the US. Has anyone tested this with a T-Mobile SIM card?

jmatgood

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Have you noticed the wireless charging not working well? Today I had my 950, on its way back home from ATT, in the CR-200. The 30 min it was in the cradle, the battery dropped 5%. Now I had no apps running, and my 830 charges just fine on the CR-200. I put it on the DT-10 at home and have not see any issues.

Also does the 950 also not feel like a 640 but faster? I have my 830 and am looking at it from the point of view that this device, compared to the 830, is not worth the $598.99 ATT will be charging me for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077