AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
So W10M is officially released - do you expect updates to the build faster then what is done for the W10PC version? Will you join the insider program with this? Do the current glitches seem app related or OS related?

I'll likely do the Insider program, yes. Not sure if updates will be faster than PC. I expect the same schedule.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dan, a few questions here. 1: How is wordflow/swipe on the 950? I have the latest build on a 920, 635 and 640 and typing is damn near impossible. Wordflow seems to have devolved to the point it no longer recognises the word "Wordflow".

2: Does the 950 have anything close to the Lumia Refocus app where you can select "all in focus"? I use this a lot in macro photography.

Thanks Dan!

I haven't used Swipe too much, but it seemed okay for me? I'll have to give it another go.

Stuperior

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi Dan, in Continuum, can you open a normal looking file explorer window? In which you could easily copy data from one USB flash stick to another? And does the phone memory show up like a C drive? I assume the SD card shows as a D drive too?

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I moved away from Windows Phone after four years because I got tired of having to purchase my devices(HTC Titan, Samsung Focus, Lumia 920 and 1020) unlocked for my carrier.(T-Mobile) Outside of a Lumia 1020 successor with a Snapdraggon 820 I vowed never to purchase another Lumia phone or any phone for that matter of high end quality if I couldn't purchase it through my carrier. Do you think this is a great strategy and is Microsoft pushing away fans and enthusiasts to other platforms who would otherwise still be riding it out with Microsoft?

One picture at a time -- LG V10

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I currently use Glance on my 1020 as my bedside clock, propped up on a Tylt wireless charging dock. You mentioned in the review that Peek is not available, which really blows, but can I at least use Glance for my bedside clock in Red at night and then Green during the day as I currently do?

So, Peek is by default, actually and there is Night Mode. I think it should be fine for your usage scenario especially when charging.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
When using Continuum connected to a Miracast device (e.g., the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter), what display resolution and refresh rate does it run at? And I guess likewise when connected to the dock

1080p and 60FPS I believe. That's how it works when docked.

caspervir1

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I know you don't like the Project Astoria very much Daniel, I don't do either. But since it's freezed, how long time do think it will take before developers are going to use for example Project Islandwood? I'm not so much in to it, but do you think it's easy for Companys to port apps? Does it cost much?

Allan Cantillo M

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello Dan, is it possible to connect the xbox wireless adapter to connect the xbox controller? or at least a wired xbox controller to the continuum dock? I mean it is absolutely possible but the phone does recognize the controls? in games like halo Spartan strike.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
When is the 950XL coming? Why is it taking longer than the 950? Is there a problem with the production? (Lets be honest here...the XL is the one we all really want :eek:)

Not sure what happened but there was a delay. Should be here in the next few days. Fingers crossed.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
One's a tablet, one's a phone. Entirely different HW requirements....

there's less then 3" of difference between he screen size. both are LTE connected windows devices. both can make phone calls. both can do messaging.

if you take the 3" off the hp, it's basically a surface phone.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for answering so many questions and thanks for the review you posted. One question: Does the retail package come with earphones/mic?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
You mentioned in the review that there's no payment from wallet. Is this something that may be coming to the 950 in the future, or it's not even happening for W10?

I just mean a universal payment system like Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, etc. Microsoft says they're working on it, but no ETA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb