AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Dan, could you combine your upcoming Audio Recording article with the phone speaker Sound Quality review? Perhaps playing some music and also testing the sound and incoming ringer while the phone is laid out flat on wood desk, leather (microfiber) couch, and other sound absorbent material.

Will consider it.

It appears that the rear camera ring protrusion would help the sound propagation (escape) while the device is sitting face up on a flat smooth surface.

It certainly does aid in this, correct.

abond32

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 950 Reboots?

Have you had any reboot issues with your 950? Adding pictures to a text message while in the texting app caused a reboot on my device twice today. Thanks!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dan.
I can see the camera is brilliant but how is loudspeaker for calls? Is it HD? And how is the loudspeaker for playing music?.
How is the call quality with its 2 antennas?
Many thanks

posted from blackberry Priv

It's "okay" is all I can say. Not impressed but it's usable. Honestly, I need to test it more. For calls it's like 8/10 for quality. It's certainly loud.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
What do you think to the speaker on the phone? Is the quality any better than on the 930 and how does it compare to other mainstream devices in audio quality?

Do you think MS should have mounted the speaker on the bottom or even front-facing?

They all have their pros/cons. iphone has a great speaker. I also cover it all the time during games, so...

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Dan, in Continuum, can you open a normal looking file explorer window? In which you could easily copy data from one USB flash stick to another? And does the phone memory show up like a C drive? I assume the SD card shows as a D drive too?

Will have to test that, sorry.

bwgolfer

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I got it. The issue is the MS Heath app that comes pre-loaded on the 950 is an older version. Removing the app and installing the current version from the App store fixed it.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I know you don't like the Project Astoria very much Daniel, I don't do either. But since it's freezed, how long time do think it will take before developers are going to use for example Project Islandwood? I'm not so much in to it, but do you think it's easy for Companys to port apps? Does it cost much?

Islandwood is still being developed and last I heard the APIs/tools were on an iOS 5 or iOS6 level, so still far behind. It's much better for games since those have custom UIs rather than apps, which are more complicated. I expect a few high profile games probably in the next few months.

Martinspire

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for responding to my questions, here's a follow up.
Original questions:
1) Apart from double-tap to wake, are there any other settings missing? Or added that haven't been discussed yet
2) How'd you recommend using it in the car? Any holders you prefer (perhaps with wireless charging)?
3) Do you think we'll see multitasking support with the 950 any time soon (within a year perhaps)?
4) I see the on screen buttons being hidden often, can you keep hem shown?
5) Has there been any improvement in Wireless charging? Faster or allowing more space in between (for cases and stuff)?

Your answers:
Super sensitive touch.
So you can't use it with gloves?
CR-200 seems to be fine for the car.
Yeah but i don't like to push it at the windscreen. But size and weight are fine in it? Nice
Multitasking support?
Yeah, showing multiple apps at the same time as you would do on a desktop. At least showing 2 apps at the same time would be nice. And what about background audio?
You can swipe them away or swipe them up to show again.
But no setting?
Qi is Qi, nothing new there.
Ok, but it could still be improved or whatever.

But thanks for the answers :)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hello Dan, is it possible to connect the xbox wireless adapter to connect the xbox controller? or at least a wired xbox controller to the continuum dock? I mean it is absolutely possible but the phone does recognize the controls? in games like halo Spartan strike.

Just tried directly to the Type-C using an adapter and nothing with Spartan Strike. I'll have to try with Continuum, but I don't have high hopes.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
So when you get the 950, either from the ATT or directly from MS, you'll get build 10586, which is part of the Insider program. Now do you get the Windows Insider app pre-installd too? If you do, or do not, are you becoming part of the Insider program as all the rest of us or there's some 'special treatment' until the RTM comes out?

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Dan,

I just finished watching your review video for the Lumia 950. Thank you for that wonderful overview.

However, I did see that your cat looks dubious

...Is he holding out for the Intel chipped phones rumored to be in the pipe? If so, do you think he's a smart cat or has he gotten into the catnip again?

He's a she ;)

I'll have more on the Intel phone situation next week.

Ghouston

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey Dan, I'm coming from a Lumia 1520. It has been my first and only phablet class device. I am wanting the 950xl but I'm on ATT and do not have deep enough pockets to buy it unlocked. Since you are also coming from the 1520, is the size difference to the 950 significant enough to matter, in your opinion? Have you started to miss the bigger screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre