AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viipottaja

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Doubtful, but it may keep the pulse on Windows Mobile alive until later next year. I think there will be a lot of progress in the OS and apps over the next six months that will keep things interesting.

Actually, (depending on meaning of "resounding"), it is likely to be quite succesful, as WPs go, in the countries where WP has 10% or so market share.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hey Dan, thanks for the AMA, one question. Do you foresee MS implementing native wifi calling on these phones/WM10?

What is weird is when I first setup my 640 the native WiFi calling was working, and since then setting is there and it is turned on but it never shows it is using it. (So native WiFi calling is in the OS, it is buried deep in the phone/SIM settings.)

Maxwell Fong

May 4, 2014
Visit site
How can I get the white unlocked Lumia 950 in the US? The Microsoft Store doesn't have that option. Or is it an AT&T exclusive model? Some European countries have the white unlocked Lumia 950 option as well, so I think it's weird for the U.S. not to have it.

Anil Ghatikar

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I am using windows hello with my surface pro and it is 99.99 accurate and fast. If it is the same scanner in 950 i expect the experience to be very good .
for comparison I have Galaxy note 4 ( long sype fingerprint) Tab s 10.5 ( swype fingerprint) and Galaxy S6 ( hold finger finger print) . I also dabbled in Android face unlock on my nexus 4 a So far I prefer the windows hello better and in terms of usability it is much ahead due to speed

Anil Ghatikar

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
MS store in India clearly mentions DUAL sim on front page for both 950 and 950Xl while US and UK store do not. I think the dual sim version is only for developing countries

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
I am using windows hello with my surface pro and it is 99.99 accurate and fast. If it is the same scanner in 950 i expect the experience to be very good .

No, the Surface Pro 4/Surface Book use a IR face camera, while the 950/950XL use an IR iris camera. So completely different methods.

RyanAMG

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
MS store in India clearly mentions DUAL sim on front page for both 950 and 950Xl while US and UK store do not. I think the dual sim version is only for developing countries

last week the US MS store didn't say anything for the XL but today when I was checking about WiFi call it now shows unlocked XL Dual Nano SIM

206Husky

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi Dan,

With gorilla glass, do you think it is good idea to get a screen protector as well, or do you think the gorilla glass provides sufficient protection? I've also never had a tempered glass screen protector, so I was wondering about that as an option.

Hoekie

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm having issues with the new Heath App on the 950 and my Band 2. MS support says the band 2 is not yet compatible with Windows 10. Have you been able to sync your 950 phone with your Band 2?
Already answered. I (Lumia 735/W10(latest build) and Band2) have no issues.

Anil Ghatikar

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

1. I hope you will do a side by side of continuum on 950 and 950XL. Apart from the display size that is the only difference which can decide between the two as most other features are same. If you are not gaming I don't think the 810 will make a drastic difference in everyday use of phone call and messaging .

2. Also does it get warm when using continuum and processor heavy tasks such as watching 1080P . videos or large excel speadsheet set to auto calculate

3. What about Surround Audio does the display dock support 5.1 audio out over HDMi when connected by cable. It will make a great plex player for video and audio if it does

4. last question - does the surface dock work with USB drives/ keyboard when not powered sort of OTG use just to transfer files

Qi Zheng

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
It's very fast. No complaints. Not sure what the Verge was alluding to in their "review".
Yeah the "review" from Verge is a joke. I am wondering why so many websites and media look down on Microsoft (mobile especially) and reviews are with obvious bias. And little response during press conference. I know there are lots of flaws in their products. but it seems all the good points are being ignored

gr021857

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for taking the time to do this Dan. I've looked over multiple reviews of continuum and other users posts but can't find anyone saying how the VLC app runs on it (if at all, although it is a Universal app so should do). Can you try it if you haven't already?

I have seen the photos app can play video, but that is the Microsoft photos app so I'd expect that to work, I'm wondering how a third party app plays.

Thanks again.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Is USB OTG on 950 support external DAC? Wanting to buy FiiO E7 or the iBasso variant soon so wanted to check if it will work on W10m.

dfaris

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan, in your review you said it was a good phone but questioned the flagship status. What would you have liked to see in order for it to be a flagship other then the looks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb