AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
If I purchase the unlocked 950 from Microsoft, I know I'll get OS updates directly from MS. But what about firmware updates? Will those come from MS as well, or only from the carrier I connect to?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If I purchase the unlocked 950 from Microsoft, I know I'll get OS updates directly from MS. But what about firmware updates? Will those come from MS as well, or only from the carrier I connect to?

From Microsoft bundled with OS updates if available.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Also, Dan? Arts Technica reported some 3D performance degradation on Gfx bench marks. Can you try resource intensive games like Asphalt 8 and Mortal Combat to see how it substantiates into real world performance?

IFLYME

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
Will the 950 or any Win10 phone ever get T-Mobile WiFi calling and VVM? Is this a TMo thing or a MS thing? I just made the switch from ATT to TMo and I miss VVM: And I really miss the WiFi calling my wife's crApple 6Sux has. Please puffer some sign of hope, especially for the white dual SIM 950 that is waiting at the MS store for me to pick up.

MP3Mike

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Will the 950 or any Win10 phone ever get T-Mobile WiFi calling and VVM? Is this a TMo thing or a MS thing? I just made the switch from ATT to TMo and I miss VVM: And I really miss the WiFi calling my wife's crApple 6Sux has. Please puffer some sign of hope, especially for the white dual SIM 950 that is waiting at the MS store for me to pick up.

What do consider VVM? My 640, running the current TP build, on T-Mobile shows my voicemail in a list, inside the Phone app, and lets me tap on them to listen to/delete them. My 925 running WP 8.1 did essentially the same thing. (I checked and Visual Voicemail is turned on in my phone settings, so it seems to work to me.)

Of course both my 640 and 925 are T-Mobile phones. I know someone with an unlocked 930 but they haven't updated to W10M yet.

As far as WiFi calling it worked on my 640 for a little while, but doesn't seem to anymore. So my guess is T-Mobile has disabled it.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan

Two questions which has not been asked anyone in the forumn

1) Do you know who makes the image sensor of 950? As L1020 was made by Toshiba

2) LG V10 has both AMP & DAC which will be great for Audiophile fans, do you see Lumia or Surface Phone ever going down the Audio route?

Thanks!

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Maybe a dumb question, but what do you expect to be the differences between the AT&T 950 and the unlocked one. Other than the phone being locked to AT&T and the obvious pre-installed apps, should we expect no other differences? AT&T will fling tons of money at me for buying a 950 and trading in my Icon, but I don't want to be stuck waiting on AT&T for upgrades or other issues.

Thanks!

IFLYME

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
What do consider VVM? My 640, running the current TP build, on T-Mobile shows my voicemail in a list, inside the Phone app, and lets me tap on them to listen to/delete them.

Yes, this. Neither my 730 nor 930 have what your describe with my TMo SIM but when either device had the AT&T SIM, VVM worked perfectly. TMo says it's a device issue or app shortage. I disagree, but what do I know? Not all that much. Both devices purchased overseas.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I read a review on C|NET that said the Continuum dock was constantly losing its connection to the phone, have you been having the same problem?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

agent67

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Daniel, while using continuum what happens if we try to open a non-universal app in the monitor? Or does it show only universal app in the app list?

Achike Da

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
hi Dan, & anyone who can help.

Is there any reason the app "Lumia play to" is not compatible (doesn't work) with my L950 but works well with my L930? It's about the only app that allows me wirelessly connect to my Xbox one and stream pics, videos & music from my phone to the xbox/tv without having to buy a wireless display adapter
This leads to my 2nd question, does anyone know of any tried and tested other way to connect wirelessly to an xbox 1 to stream pics and vids from the phone?

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
hi Dan, & anyone who can help.

Is there any reason the app "Lumia play to" is not compatible (doesn't work) with my L950 but works well with my L930? It's about the only app that allows me wirelessly connect to my Xbox one and stream pics, videos & music from my phone to the xbox/tv without having to buy a wireless display adapter
This leads to my 2nd question, does anyone know of any tried and tested other way to connect wirelessly to an xbox 1 to stream pics and vids from the phone?
the xbox one supports miracast, but not sure if that app still requires you to be an insider or not

Lloyd_S

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Are you having any issues with WiFi? My new 950 keeps dropping my Wifi signal and yet my 1520 has no problems (running side-by-side with SIM in 950). Also, I've noticed that after about 7 hours of use everything on my 950 has come to a crawling stop. Have you experienced this? Store freezes when opening, apps like Audible, Store, ESPN or Shazam get a white screen when I try and open and then just shut the app down.

anon9010310

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile seems to have many rough edges. Do you think that Microsoft is committed to their mobile OS business or going to kill it eventually.

russbecker

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Got an ATT Lumia 950 and am impressed with my experience so far. One thing I am not finding however, is the Hey Cortana function. Is it in this build or planned for future release?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Got an ATT Lumia 950 and am impressed with my experience so far. One thing I am not finding however, is the Hey Cortana function. Is it in this build or planned for future release?

That's odd, it's on this build. Dan used it in his continuum break down video. Should be under Settings > extras > Hey Cortana.

mukati

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Quick question; does Edge on mobile support cast like on the desktop? I believe other apps such as Music and Videos also support cast on Desktop. Is it the same on Mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster