AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDannyboy

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I just got my 950 today. Set up was a breeze. Loving the new Windows 10 UI. However, I lost the ability to use my Nokia Treasure Tag; no app now. Any ideas why? Or when a WP10 version will be made available? Thanks Dan. -Dan G

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
OK, I have 2 questions....

1: With the dock, can you select screen mirroring? Similar to the way you can using Continuum via wireless?
2: Have you tried some native USB C adapters like USB C to displayport, hdmi, ethernet, etc?

GDannyboy

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Got an ATT Lumia 950 and am impressed with my experience so far. One thing I am not finding however, is the Hey Cortana function. Is it in this build or planned for future release?

It's there. Open Cortana, tap the hamburger in the upper left corner, tap 'Settings', second on/off toggle on the page is 'Hey Cortana'. But you have to teach Cortana to know your voice first; also on that page.

bsbharath1987

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dan, I know you've liked the Galaxy 6 Edge's camera quite a lot. In your time with the new Lumias, do you think the camera is as good or better than the Samsung?

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dan, I really liked (to point of relying on) Gestures Beta on my Lumia 920 but it doesn't seem to work in the W10 preview. Does the Lumia 950 have anything similar out of the box?

cwmcgowen

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dan,

I also like this question, but would like to broaden it a bit. I suspect many of us are trying to decide whether to buy the ATT 950 now or buy the unlocked one next week. What we need to know is what are the differences between the two products?

Wireless Charging: Qi, PMA, Both, are they different in this regard?
Updates: Will Microsoft Branded phone get updates that ATT will block or delay (Outside of Insiders)?
Is the Unlocked one still an ATT branded phone, just unlocked?
Are the cellular bands and frequencies the same for both phones?
Are there any other differences?

anon(9163873)

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
1. What do you think will be the successor to the 950?

2. Do you think it would be a good idea to merge the previous plans with McLaren with the Surface Phone?

3. Do you think its successor will have better sounding equipment (speakers and Dolby Audio support)?

eternaldoom

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
A question regarding Continuum:
- Can you turn off the phone's screen when the phone is connected to the Dock and used as a PC for Universal apps ?

wopsterix

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi Dan,
I was wondering if you can use office (not just read, but editing and creating new documents as well) with continuum without having an office365 subscription? Since they said office is basically free to use under probably 8" or so, but with continuum you use it with a device under 8" on a display over this limit...

dehim1997

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey,
I just saw your video of the USB OTG function of the lumia 950. However, I believe I read somewhere it also supports arduino. Is this true and if so, how does this work exactly?

Dominik Dominik

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
How does camera perform at high ISO levels? I heard it goes to 12 800, but it don't think it makes any sense to go that high if you want your pictures to look good. What is in your opinion the last usable ISO level?

anon9010310

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft says that they will be delivering windows as a service. Does that mean once OEM/Carrier deliver Windows 10 mobile update, from that point onwards Microsoft deliver windows 10 mobile future updates independent of the carrier's??

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Just looked at the 950 review on TheVerge, they seem to have had nothing good to say about the 950. What are your thoughts on theverge's review of the 950?

I consider the Verge a 'lifestyle' site and not very serious about reviews. I don't look to many of their writers in awe. Meanwhile, Peter Bright, Thurrott, Brett Howse, etc. are all on another level for technical backgrounds that I truly respect. It's akin to WSJ/USA Today, where it is just some personality giving an opinion with little substantive comparisons/data/analysis. I'm not entirely against those types of reviews as they are the complete opposite of something AnandTech would consider a review and I'd like to think Windows Central is in between. However, I do wish people understood the difference. Better to read all the reviews and make up your own mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99