AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
1. Are all WP8 apps compatible with W10M?
2. How is performance. My 920 is quite slow these days (multiple seconds to launch apps)
3. How is the groove music app performance? On the 920, the music app is still a cluster f***

Like 98% are compatible. Domino's Pizza crashes and our own Windows Central app (which is being replaced soon) has issues too. But these are really exceptions.

I mean, it's all fast. You're not going to get a faster Windows Phone for awhile. I have no real issues with performance for anything yet.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Can you try to find out if we'll ever be able to access our on-premise SharePoint servers, like in 8.1 Office Hub? So far, it's not working in any of the preview builds.

Lloyd_S

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replying. Are you having any other issues related to apps not loading or hanging up? Even after sitting all night all the apps I mentioned are still hanging up. Even after doing a couple of soft resets.

cpyne

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you know of any features that won't work with an unlocked 950 on att/cricket? Will the voice mail work the same? (my unlocked 830 requires me to dial into cricket to listen to voice mails)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Do you know of any features that won't work with an unlocked 950 on att/cricket? Will the voice mail work the same? (my unlocked 830 requires me to dial into cricket to listen to voice mails)

Eh, it should work, but I cannot guarantee it. I have not heard of issues before in doing that.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for replying. Are you having any other issues related to apps not loading or hanging up? Even after sitting all night all the apps I mentioned are still hanging up. Even after doing a couple of soft resets.

Yes, I have Advanced Info and Lumia Help + Tips that can't/wont update.

ueber

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm a android guy, tablets, phones etc..etc..(never had apple in my life) but the Lumia 950 is interesting because of Camera, Image stabilization, SD card, and removable battery.

1. Can you turn off IRIS scan permanently? I have negative interest in that feature as in I don't care that a corporation "says" they don't send that info anywhere.

2. Are the apps found on the Microsoft store on windows 10 desktop indicative of what will be available on the phone? (but simply a smaller version?)

3. Why doesn't Microsoft do promotions to get android guys to switch? trade in programs + store creds(to buy apps) + 1tb of one drive storage(lol with no fine print because that last one drive move was a d*ck move by them...) :p

4. How is the windows mobile maps app compared to google's?

5. Does windows mobile have translate app? how's that compare to google?

6. Why doesn't Microsoft pay developers to develop? not like for crap apps, but sort of like how the unreal engine guys do it, every if you have a good prototype, they give you $ / mentor to help you get it to market...

7. With all the coders at Microsoft they should be setting up small internal teams to develop apps...

P.S : the app gap is real and it definitely is keeping me on the fence about buying a 950...the 950 is way better than the nexus 5x on paper.

Bradleykinz

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Battery life has become extremely important to me in the last year or so and It may be to early to tell right now but how is the battery life on the 950? I am trying to decide between the 950 (3000 mah) and the s6 active (3500 mah) The s6 would be my first android phone.

eeisner512

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Hey Daniel, 2 questions...

First, what percentage of issues with the 950 do you attribute to updateable software/firmware in comparison to hardware issues?

Second, what advice would you give to a Verizon user in an ATT deadzone that wants to stay on W10 Mobile? Wait to see if MS can get the 950/XL on VZW? Hold out for a possible Surface phone? Stick w/ the Icon and eventually be forced to switch os's?

Thanks!

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm a android guy, tablets, phones etc..etc..(never had apple in my life) but the Lumia 950 is interesting because of Camera, Image stabilization, SD card, and removable battery.

1. Can you turn off IRIS scan permanently? I have negative interest in that feature as in I don't care that a corporation "says" they don't send that info anywhere.

2. Are the apps found on the Microsoft store on windows 10 desktop indicative of what will be available on the phone? (but simply a smaller version?)

3. Why doesn't Microsoft do promotions to get android guys to switch? trade in programs + store creds(to buy apps) + 1tb of one drive storage(lol with no fine print because that last one drive move was a d*ck move by them...) :p

4. How is the windows mobile maps app compared to google's?

5. Does windows mobile have translate app? how's that compare to google?

6. Why doesn't Microsoft pay developers to develop? not like for crap apps, but sort of like how the unreal engine guys do it, every if you have a good prototype, they give you $ / mentor to help you get it to market...

7. With all the coders at Microsoft they should be setting up small internal teams to develop apps...

P.S : the app gap is real and it definitely is keeping me on the fence about buying a 950...the 950 is way better than the nexus 5x on paper.

1. It's off by default and yeah, you absolutely do not have to use it and can just use PIN or nothing too

2. It's mixed as this time with probably <200 non-native apps that are both on phone/PC

3. They have a new app on Android that tells you which apps of yours are available on W10M

4. That's a general question for other forum members and likely too open ended for this thread, sorry

5. Yes and I have not directly compared, sorry

6. They have and they did. Issue is this: (1) some companies still turned them down (2) Once you pay a company to make an app, you eventually give them the finished product and they have to maintain it. That means the company now has to hire a developer or two. Instead, they often threaten MS they will pull the app unless MS continues to pay them and pay for the app. Think of it, if MS pays for the app and its maintenance, what incentive is there for the company to ever take it as their own when they can just blackmail MS to keep paying? It doesn't work.

7. Sorry, but these are not really related to the 950 per se ;)

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Battery life has become extremely important to me in the last year or so and It may be to early to tell right now but how is the battery life on the 950? I am trying to decide between the 950 (3000 mah) and the s6 active (3500 mah) The s6 would be my first android phone.

I think battery life is fantastic. I've been on it and using it most of the morning (since 9am, Twitter, Slack, app updates, email, sms) and I'm at 76%.

Best thing is if I throw it on the Type-C charger, I'll bump up to 100% in 15 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss