Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hey Daniel, 2 questions...

First, what percentage of issues with the 950 do you attribute to updateable software/firmware in comparison to hardware issues?

Second, what advice would you give to a Verizon user in an ATT deadzone that wants to stay on W10 Mobile? Wait to see if MS can get the 950/XL on VZW? Hold out for a possible Surface phone? Stick w/ the Icon and eventually be forced to switch os's?

Thanks!

I haven't had any real issues with the 950 besides just 'meh' looks. But sure, I expect it to get even better with more updates. Look at Win 10 vs Win10 TH2, some real big improvements there including enabling of Intel's new Step technology that I wrote about for Skylake PCs. Things like Windows Hello will need some fixes and I think MS will enable and add features to these phones over the next few months, not just release 'em and forget 'em.

2. Real tough. I can't say to wait for Verizon. Maybe it will happen, maybe not. It won't happen until at least spring. Any "Surface phone" won't be until late Q3 or Q4 of '16, not earlier. TBH, Icon with 10586 is a nice combo still. Not sure what else to tell you, you're in a tough situation.

shparvez001

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Do you think a 41 megapixel camera would have been a better choice.
I feel like a 41 megapixel [or even higher] option would have blown minds all over.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
2. Real tough. I can't say to wait for Verizon. Maybe it will happen, maybe not. It won't happen until at least spring. Any "Surface phone" won't be until late Q3 or Q4 of '16, not earlier. TBH, Icon with 10586 is a nice combo still. Not sure what else to tell you, you're in a tough situation.

This is exactly why I changed to a iPhone 6SPlus for now. I hope/expect to come back to Windows Phone next year when and if a Flagship device finally comes back to Verizon! I was tired of the Icon even with Win10M. I had been an insider on Fast Ring forever. Just couldn't see sitting around waiting another year. I didn't abandon Windows Phone, Microsoft abandoned me... for now.

ASirolly

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm about to invest in my first smartphone, and I'm going between the Nexus 6P and Lumia 950. I really want to go with the Lumia 950 and ive waited some extra weeks to pick it up, but now that I'm actually seeing reviews for it, I'm worried that the failings will lead to buyers remorse.

In terms of hardware I've read some stuff about the lack of quality in the build of Lumia 950 - how true is that? - there was a picture of the case around the USB type C port bending over the hole, and that the buttons feel a bit loose.
In terms of software, I don't use much and stick mainly to productivity and basic entertainment apps, so while the Lumia 950 has those, how does the quality of some apps (facebook, twitter, Spotify), including Microsoft ones, from a user and feature perspective, compare to the android platform? For me, Microsoft apps are the big seller, and while they have promised they would put W10M first, it seems they need more time before making good on that promise.

What seems to be the biggest failings with both the software and hardware right now? I know the software has a lack of features, and hardware wise the screen is dim (but that can be fixed with a firmware update).

For me the Camera and UX of W10M is a reason to go with the Lumia, but the refined Android and its app platform is a reason to take the Nexus.
Comparatively is the camera on the Lumia 950, for a photobuff like me, enough of a seller over the Nexus camera in which it would make sense to pick it over Google's phone? or does the still shallow app ecosystem have a much more significant implication to usage meaning I should put off picking up Windows 10 Mobile for a year to see where it goes?

as another influence to my decision, I'm also a computer science major at Georgia Tech, I need a platform where I can comfortably develop. and I can code in both C++ and Java allowing me to go on either platform. While Windows 10 Mobile has cool features with a lot of implications such as continuum and the Universal App Platform, with the lack of reach for W10M, which device seems to have more of a use for developers, taking into account reach and capabilities?

And while this isn't quite Lumia 950, it is a influence into my decision to purchase. I always assumed that Islandwood and Astoria were meant for the developers to port their apps, but from the leaked build of the now questionable Astoria, it seemed that users were able to run android apps without a recompile (which really confused me) is islandwood different where it requires the developer to port the app and place it on the Microsoft store first, or would the implications be that I am able to run some apps purchased directly from the iTunes store?

Thanks

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Do you think a 41 megapixel camera would have been a better choice.
I feel like a 41 megapixel [or even higher] option would have blown minds all over.
Maybe. Maybe not. The 1020 did not exactly sell a lot. And once again, for what people are doing with their phones 20MP is more than enough imo.

Dennis Bakker

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell us for sure which Gorilla Glass the L950 has? In several review they say GG3 and others say GG4. Even the Microsoft websites tells a different story:

The microsoft.com website says GG3 and the microsoftstore.com website says GG4...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly why I changed to a iPhone 6SPlus for now. I hope/expect to come back to Windows Phone next year when and if a Flagship device finally comes back to Verizon! I was tired of the Icon even with Win10M. I had been an insider on Fast Ring forever. Just couldn't see sitting around waiting another year. I didn't abandon Windows Phone, Microsoft abandoned me... for now.

Asked and answered.

Your question is really about Verizon and not the Lumia 950. Please continue your discussion in this more appropriate thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...unge/387446-verizon-customers-whats-next.html

H_Alex

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dan,

does the Lumia 950 have a FM radio?

And second, do you think the 950 is sufficient for the upcoming updates (like 120 fps slow mo for example)?

LIEBER

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
950 dual sim version (black) will be available in Northern Europe Dec 3, together with standard versions. From MS walkthrough of the 950/950 XL, it looks like there is room for 2 dual sim cards + micro SD card simultaneously within the body. HOWEVER, I've seen various places that if a second sim card is installed, the micro SD card doesn't work. Have now clue as to why.

theta_orionis

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen the 950 with the Mozo replaceable back covers? The renderings on the website are quite handsome and I'm interested in the 950 with one of these covers. Currently have an Icon.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
My apologies if this has already been asked: But how do third-party Universal apps respond to Continuum? All official Microsoft demos have only shown us first-party apps using Continuum, no third party.

Do apps like myTube, Readit and Wolfram Alpha (A few of the first examples I could think of) automatically display their larger versions when used with Continuum?

On that same note: What happens if you try to open a non-universal app on your external display? That is to say: Phone-only apps? Do they appear with a lot of blank/black space around them, or do they just refuse to open at all?

Finally, Edge on tablet/desktop has Flash support. We already know Edge for Windows 10 Mobile doesn't, but does the option appear when running it externally in desktop mode via Continuum? Does the option appear, or nah? I personally have Flash disabled on my Surface because I loathe it, but I'm curious about its presence(Or lack thereof) on Mobile all the same.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for doing this Dan.

As someone who is on the fence, your answers are pushing me to purchase one. I went to my local MS store early this week but they didn't carry one so I'll ask my questions here.

How does it handle multi tasking ? Can you open few apps and use them for a while, switch between the apps without the Resuming... screen appearing in between ?

How fast does the camera launch from a cold start ? One thing I like about iPhones is that the camera is super fast to launch.

A video demo of multi tasking would be awesome but I'm not counting on it :)

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
On that same note: What happens if you try to open a non-universal app on your external display? That is to say: Phone-only apps? Do they appear with a lot of blank/black space around them, or do they just refuse to open at all?

That has been answered in both the AMA and in various boards, non compatible apps are grayed out, attempted to open them results in a pop up. The non compatible app will not show up on the second screen.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Can you tell us for sure which Gorilla Glass the L950 has? In several review they say GG3 and others say GG4. Even the Microsoft websites tells a different story:

The microsoft.com website says GG3 and the microsoftstore.com website says GG4...

I'm quite certain it is GG3, but will double confirm with MS on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss