AMA with Dan Rubino: Everything Lumia 950

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Hey Dan, sorry if this first question has been asked before but It's literally the only thing between me and purchasing the phone

1) what are the chances of the XL coming to at&t too in the near future? (shelling out full price for the unlocked device is not an option now)

2) many people thought the back ring on the 950 looks pretty ugly in pictures, did it look better to you once you got it in your hand?

3) the difference between the 808 and 810 processors is not only speed, but the 810 also has a better GPU. Do you think it will make a difference in the long term with games and Continuum?

4) If the 950 has GG3 and 950xl GG4. How is the latter better than the former?

Thanks!

1. As of now, it is not happening. If it does happen, won't be until spring 2016 as those things can take a few weeks/months. Thow in the holidays/new years and everything slows down even more

2. Honestly, you don't even notice it in real life. It's there, it's metal, you don't stare at it like a photo on a computer. Adds weight to the phone and protects the OIS housing.

3. I think only with Continuum will it matter. All games in the Store now perform the same IMO on high-end hardware.

4. Probably more to do with the XL having a larger, thinner display and needing GG4 more. Honestly, no idea if it something I'd notice in real life, but I'll know more when I get it in.

Donald Simard

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I know windows phones lets you pin website to the start screen - they used to display an image of the site in Windows 8.1 - but in Windows 10 - they are simple blue squares... is there a way to get them to be more informative?

Azizelh

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I know windows phones lets you pin website to the start screen - they used to display an image of the site in Windows 8.1 - but in Windows 10 - they are simple blue squares... is there a way to get them to be more informative?

It is one of the top requests on Windows Feedback for Edge, so im sure they're aware of it. Hopefully they'll bring it back soon. I find it pretty annoying too to have many links all with the same icon on the Start screen.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Somewhat off topic, but does the XBOX One work as a miracast device to use with the 950? If not, is there any chance that will be implemented in an XB1 refresh (when is that happening btw ... I feel like the original XB1 is getting a little long in the tooth).

Thanks!

umovies

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
sorry haven't read every post but what i want to know is continuum and video, like for instance my 2 year old loves thomas the train and wheels on the bus he constantly want to get on phone a watch wheels on bus off of youtube, does continuum do video on big screen and if so can the phone still be used, also how does continuum and gaming work, don't get me wrong I want to browse web on use office on a big screen but none of those things are exciting.

markk132

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey Dan,

question about the insider program going forward. I was reluctant to join because Win 10 mobile was rough. now that it's shipping, will the insider program be more reliable going forward? I feel like it'll be easier for us all to join now, going forward. what do you think?

gunmetalskyline

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Dan! will keep an eye out for the Miracast stuff.

Unfortunate about lenses (mine don't show at least!)

Good to note Proshot works well with the new hardware.

Skynetz

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi Dan, I'm a developer for windows phone, had a 920, than 930 and now I'm stuck for almost 4 months with N95, lol, because I got my 930 stolen. I was waiting for the 950 for 4 months now, and today I ordered the XL version. Do you think I will be disappointed with it or will I be happy with the new phone ?

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

I think this is up to the website, as some websites that you pin will have the sites logo on the tile, while others are the generic Edge logo.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Dan,

Somewhat off topic, but does the XBOX One work as a miracast device to use with the 950? If not, is there any chance that will be implemented in an XB1 refresh (when is that happening btw ... I feel like the original XB1 is getting a little long in the tooth).

Thanks!

Miracast support has been there since April for preview members. Also, it's a bit laggy.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Daniel

Very interested in getting more info about the camera. Could you upload a couple of RAW files (.dng) of typical scenes (outdoor, high dynamic, etc.) so that we mobile photographers are able to assess the quality of the camera? Algorithms, etc. are fine, but I work exclusively with .dng on my 1020 and I'm excited to play with raw files coming from a 950.

Thanks.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Ashram ...
A question for Dan then: Do you know when this will be officially released (i.e. not just preview) ... Also still curious about the XBOX refresh :) I have an aging second gen PS3, and I have been thinking of upgrading that to an XBOX One (which would make the purchase of a 950 much more likely ... I really would like the ability to do miracast on my TV).

zeke009

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi Daniel. I have been grumbling about some issues on the forums here for the last few days, but I'm not ready to give up. I do have a few questions I'd like your insight on though.

1. Visual Voicemail - others have it, other do not (I am one). I can trigger it and it prompts for a password/pin, but it never displays my voicemails and becomes a nag screen. I have reset the phone once already and that didn't help, do you think it is a SIM problem (new one with Lumia 950) or a phone problem (replace it)?
  2. A ton of text messages were backed up and auto-magically downloaded when I set up my Lumia 950, except for 11/30/2013 - 11/18/2015, those were all missing and still reside on my Lumia 920. Any ideas or tips? I guess I can live without them, but that sucks.

MBY

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Dan,

I listened to your opinions about the materials (plastic vs. metal/glass) in your review. While a lot of people have busted on the construction as uninspired, it seems there are a lot of practical reasons for the plastic, two of which you mentioned (durability and weight). The two others that I have thought of are:
  • Removable back plate, meaning you can have a replaceable battery. How would you do this metal/glass?
  • Wireless charging: wasn't it only recently that someone figured out how to do this with metal?

What are your thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss