11-25-2015 12:05 AM
89 1234
tools
    Hey it's their opinion fair enough I guess, if someone rated it a 4/10 then that means war

well 7 hour onscreen time, that is a wow for me, no android except Oneplus one or iOS have come that far..

oh yeah 5110 24 hours on screen time hehe
    Wow!! Do you have most of the apps disabled to run the background to get that 7 hours or no?
    11-22-2015 12:11 AM
    To quote the summary paragraph of Daniel Rubino's review:

"However, its ho-hum design and meager app selection will keep switchers at bay leaving just enough to satisfy the die-hard Microsoft fans."

He doesn't like it. Moreover, he has the same criticisms of it that the other reviewers do. So yeah, I see a pattern.
    This post is complete nonsense! Rubino does like the phone and is comfortable using it as a daily driver.
    libra89, Hoekie, willied and 1 others like this.
    11-22-2015 12:28 AM
    This post is complete nonsense! Rubino does like the phone and is comfortable using it as a daily driver.
    Rubino is also a die hard Windows man. Thing is, her review does state the facts. The app gap is still an issue and for a lot of people that is enough to make them jump straight on the nope train to **** that ville. Me however, I'm planning to buy the Lumia 950 (XL too big, went back to my 920 from my 930 and prefer that size), just getting a dual sim variant in the UK is proving to be a pain.
    11-22-2015 04:49 AM
    lets be honest here...the 950 and XL are NOKIA technology, MS are clearing out the cupboard and no doubt numerous Microsoft phones are in different stages of development. Whenever the 'Surface Phone' is anounced it will have to be with a technology that makes people take notice (they really dont care about the success or failure of the 950, you could tell by the way Panos described them at with an off the shoulder remark at the announcement last) I believe MS have to release Surface Phone with something like a revolutionary new battery technology, that works and leaves others behind.

As for 950/XL - 7/10 is fair for what they are. OS is buggy, I wear glasses and if there are issues with recognition then it is 100% useless (can anyone with glasses confirm or deny 950 has issues) as for benchmarks, well im not surprised either, MS havnt gone all out (understandably) and the OS is not ready for prime time, the 950/XL is a public testbed to get the OS straightened out, were still 6 months to a year away from something we can all feel very very happy with, MS know that and certainly are committed and have the resources to eat up any loss between now and then. Windows 10 universal apps will also have been developed in that time frame so less of an app gap issue.
    MikeSo likes this.
    11-22-2015 04:57 AM
    No issue with iris scanner while wearing glasses. It's fantastic in fact
    Hoekie, Great deal, Jazmac and 1 others like this.
    11-22-2015 05:33 AM
    Nokia technology with liquid cooling from Surface? This is nonsense. Also is nonsense to review a phone and taking away points for the OS. 1 point should be taken away because of the lack of the 3D Touch screen, maybe in GUI isn't that useful but I am playing Freeblade on my iPhone 6s and it's awesome, something truly ahead of all other phones. But it should take back one point for design because it feels great in the hand comparing with the iPhone which is slippery and feels too heavy for its dimensions or comparing with my Lumia 930 which because of the aluminum sasi sometimes heats very bad and it's uncomfortable to hold on the hand.
    11-22-2015 06:18 AM
    I've also noticed slight similar talk from Yahoo's review http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-lumi...214316372.html
    Captpt likes this.
    11-22-2015 06:33 AM
    I agree with cnet. Not because it have so much specs, it needs a functioning OS and varieties apps options. Only then will windows be truly respected by others.
    DavidinCT, illidanx and Clinton_O like this.
    11-22-2015 06:41 AM
    Well, there are quit some positive reviews too? So?
    I feel a lot are glass half full/empty reviews. Trying to make a postive or negative twist. In this case it's glass half empty. Any phone can get a glass half empty review. Including Android en i phones. Point is: you make up your own mind and not just believe reviews. Actually user experience is most important. I for one really see no flaws, so that makes a Lumia 950 a GREAT phone. I see a lot of flawes on Android and i phones.
    Glass half full review: Surprise fan review: Lumia 950 | Microsoft Devices Blog
    11-22-2015 07:28 AM
    Do you know how long it takes to make a mobile device, from design to delivery? Then look at how long it takes for a company to migrate to another company especially the size of Nokia. Do you know how long it takes to allign systems, processes, software, hardware, people from one to another? All the while NO development is happening from either party due to restrictive covenents and laws. You cant seriously expect the 950 to be a 100% Microsoft designed device can you? if you do think that is the case then you are mistaken.

Nokia technology with liquid cooling from Surface? This is nonsense. Also is nonsense to review a phone and taking away points for the OS. 1 point should be taken away because of the lack of the 3D Touch screen, maybe in GUI isn't that useful but I am playing Freeblade on my iPhone 6s and it's awesome, something truly ahead of all other phones. But it should take back one point for design because it feels great in the hand comparing with the iPhone which is slippery and feels too heavy for its dimensions or comparing with my Lumia 930 which because of the aluminum sasi sometimes heats very bad and it's uncomfortable to hold on the hand.
    11-22-2015 07:30 AM
    Anyone who think this device is awesome is hallucinating !!
    LumiaWorld and illidanx like this.
    11-22-2015 07:48 AM
    MS should've used the McLaren design for these phones. That is also a Nokia design, right? Even though they cannot push the 3D Touch feature on that thing, I'm pretty sure they can still use its design. I really can't understand why MS chose such designs for the 950 and 950 XL. Are they purposely destroying their mobile business? LOL
    11-22-2015 08:42 AM
    "Google Android lover review a Windows phone is beyond me"

Because nothing needs to be reviewed from the blinders of a fan bias. If they had a WP fan review it and give it a 9, would that be acceptable? No, because that's a pro-MS bias muddying the waters of objectivity just the same. That's why I was so pleased with the Windows Central review, Daniel repeatedly attacked things both as a WP fan and a general consumer, and I think he nailed both perspectives.

Still, CNet's not a great site for objectivity or intelligent journalism in the first place. 7/10 isn't bad, and it's probably what the 950 deserves. It might be a well-written article, but I honestly don't care. I know the reality of these phones better than the writer, no question, and the folks I know who would consider this phone will ask me, not CNet, so this review affects me in no way.
    11-22-2015 08:43 AM
    I went to ATT today to see it and hold it. I literally had to look twice at it because I thought it was the 640. I took my 640 out and compared the phones. There is very little difference in the look and feel of the 640 and 950. Other than the ring around the camera and the speaker grill, I don't see much difference. Windows hello is the only reason I would get this phone. Continuum is not a incentive for me. BUT I would prefer keep using my 640 with insider builds until next year. Next year is make or break for me and windows phones. Surface phone designed by Panos??? We'll see. Judging by Panos kind of glossing over the phone at the last reveal I don't think MS wants this phone so why would I. Plus, to release a phone at the end of 2015 without a payment system is just foolish and borderline lazy. I mean, when you going to start competing in the phone market?
    An article did a break down of time spent on everything and me they actually spent quite a lot of time on the phone during the event. People just failed to see that.
    11-22-2015 08:48 AM
    And please stop talking about surface phone. It's confirmed it will be a lower spec business phone and new Lumias will come as flagships. They will have the snapdragon 820. No one knows what the business phone will be like. My guess is it will tie in heavily with enterprise windows and offer insane security.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-22-2015 08:50 AM
    Ya but that is what apple and Samsung are advertising so it is now a must have. It amazes me the iPhone doesn't have wireless charging. Wireless charging!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    DavidinCT and RichHowerton like this.
    11-22-2015 09:02 AM
    In my opinion, the reviews of iPhones and Androids start at a 10 and then they find reasons to take off points. With Windows, they start with a 5 and find reasons to add points.
    runamuck83, Captpt, a5cent and 4 others like this.
    11-22-2015 09:27 AM
    Finding a non-Android fanboy to write a review for CNET would require a 1981 Indiana Jones.
    Clinton_O likes this.
    11-22-2015 11:10 AM
    Ugh, read between the lines. I actually thought was a fair review putting all aspects in concept. the iVerge was just blasting the phone, this one took a little more fair look at the phone for what it is, as a WHOLE PACKAGE, not just the 950 itself.

When you really buy a phone these days, you have to look at the WHOLE picture, not just what the phone offers for features but, the whole support systems that is in place, for apps, or other features (NFC, Mobile payments, etc)...It's not just a Phone any more.

But when you consider all the things that make up a modern mobile operating system -- mobile payments, access to limitless apps, software extras that work consistently well -- Windows 10 doesn't fix enough past problems and only introduces others. I was hoping for more with Windows 10 on phones, wanting to believe in the promise that Continuum would give the Lumia a competitive edge by boosting your productivity. It doesn't.
    I can say I agree on this. Microsoft is KNOWN to release products before they are fully ready (I understand what needs to go into a release like a PC or mobile OS and sure there will ALWAYS be bugs), Continuum looks like a GREAT feature but, in practice, to be a replacement for a laptop (and should be the goal here) is not even near ready yet. Many reviews show this, and I have never touched it yet. As Daniel said on this site "Who will use this ?".

The app, mobile payment, if your coming from a Apple or Android world, these features you just EXPECT these days. Every other phone has it. Windows Phone, no matter how you look at it or LOVE it, it still is lacking. We had mobile payment for a while and as it was cool, I think google purchased it, just to stop Microsoft from accessing it....from there...ANYTHING ? Oh, wait..."Commning soon™"...Something WP owners from WP7 are getting used to.

Apps ? Sure, for every 1 person who has every app they want, there is 9 people who are wishing for that 1 app that is available on other platforms. Banking apps ? How about LOCAL apps (local TV, news, radio) ? How about the TOP 10 mobile apps available for iOS ? Maybe 2-3 are on WP. Will Universal apps work ? Who knows, way to early to know. You buy a phone for today, not a possibility in 6-8 months.

There is NO getting around this, These issues she said are solid issues, they were there when Windows Phone 7 came out and they are even worse now (big banks pulled out)...
    MikeSo likes this.
    11-22-2015 11:31 AM
    This isn't a Windows Mobile review, it's a Lumia 950/950XL review. The phone itself is pretty amazing. The camera is superior to any other out on the market in a phone. The processor is as well. I guess I might be the only one here, but cracked screens have become synonymous with iOS and Andriod premium phone builds. I don't care how elegant a phone is, if it's going to shatter upon the first drop, you can keep the glass and metal. The display is amazing, and the Qi wireless charging, iris scanner, and continuum features make it a great phone. I get the restrictions of apps and the fact that the OS is still in beta, but that's on the OS, not the phone itself.
    Narr, Alroy Swain, Captpt and 2 others like this.
    11-22-2015 11:58 AM
    Michael Fischer at Pocketnow seems to be liking it a lot. He hasn't done a full review yet, but he does have an initial impressions video:

pankaj981 and Alroy Swain like this.
    11-22-2015 12:05 PM
    I dunno. I've been a WP fan since the beginning, but I really can't find fault with anything she said. I mean, she says she actually likes the phone but the ecosystem itself is just lagging so far behind that it's hard to recommend it.

- Boring but good hardware. Yup
    - OS still has too many rough edges. Yup
    - No payments system. Yup
    - App gap. Yup
    Pretty much sums up the state of the windows mobile union in 2015

If they didn't spend the last few years constantly throwing out the bathwater and starting over, we might be in a better place.

I'll add this

two of my most used app's just quit the entire windows ecosystem (Mint & Comixology)
    Amazon does't want to work with the platform (can't use my Prime subscription on the phone)
    Ditto for Google Drive/Google docs - everyone in my writing group uses this for critique, it seems the defacto choice these days

Also, WTH didn't they enable *ALL* windows apps to run in continuum, even in a basic rudimentary form - turns a cool feature into somewhat of a limited thing if I can only use certain apps and I can't predict which ones those are.
    Clinton_O likes this.
    11-22-2015 12:07 PM
    This isn't a Windows Mobile review, it's a Lumia 950/950XL review.
    Yea but, this is something MOST Windows Phone/Mobile fans don't understand. When you BUY a phone, you buy into the ecosystem. As we have learned, it's one of most important features of a phone today.

If you have always had Windows Phone and never touched Android or iOS for a week or 2 (buy a used phone to play with) as I did (Windows Mobile to Windows Phone, never owned a Android device) and with my LG G3 the apps were AMAZING. Local, major, my bank, the little store down the street, even the place I work has a Android/iOS app... The OS on Android, that is for another discussion.

If your a Android or iPhone user looking at Windows Phone for the first time, this is something CRITICAL to them to know before buying one....Many of those beloved apps WONT be available.

I think the review was right in line...Phone/features/camera was nice, Continuum was a little buggy and might not be useful as a laptop replacement at this point but, one fact that has been said by reviewer and reviewer...the App problem is the big issue with ANY Windows Phone device..
    Clinton_O and MikeSo like this.
    11-22-2015 01:03 PM
    I did not think the review was a good read, but 7/10 is fair for the Lumia 950.

There was a time when developer support of a platform did not affect the value and perception of a phone, but in these days it does. It really does... Those who say otherwise are only disrespecting those who continue to contribute to the Windows ecosystem.

Keep saying "apps don't matter" as it is clear that a large number of WP fans are not interested in app development for their platform, and obviously have no intention of purchasing let alone using apps on their phones.

This attitude is both ironic and circular in logic.
    11-22-2015 01:14 PM
    Yea but, this is something MOST Windows Phone/Mobile fans don't understand. When you BUY a phone, you buy into the ecosystem. As we have learned, it's one of most important features of a phone today.

If you have always had Windows Phone and never touched Android or iOS for a week or 2 (buy a used phone to play with) as I did (Windows Mobile to Windows Phone, never owned a Android device) and with my LG G3 the apps were AMAZING. Local, major, my bank, the little store down the street, even the place I work has a Android/iOS app... The OS on Android, that is for another discussion.

If your a Android or iPhone user looking at Windows Phone for the first time, this is something CRITICAL to them to know before buying one....Many of those beloved apps WONT be available.

I think the review was right in line...Phone/features/camera was nice, Continuum was a little buggy and might not be useful as a laptop replacement at this point but, one fact that has been said by reviewer and reviewer...the App problem is the big issue with ANY Windows Phone device..
    Honestly, just based off the app situation alone, I would give the Lumia 950/950XL a 0/10 because the app situation is that mission critical to most people. Call me a troll or whatever, but when dealing with the Joe Public the apps are what make or break a device.

Edit: I currently have a Lumia 920. To the Joe Public it's a 0/10 because of the app situation, though for me personally it's an 8/10. The 950 looks like a 10/10 for me personally but for Joe Public it's once again a 0/10 because of the app situation.
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-22-2015 01:15 PM
89 1234