Disappointing 950 review on Cnet!

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ya but that is what apple and Samsung are advertising so it is now a must have. It amazes me the iPhone doesn't have wireless charging. Wireless charging!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ric2001

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, the reviews of iPhones and Androids start at a 10 and then they find reasons to take off points. With Windows, they start with a 5 and find reasons to add points.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, read between the lines. I actually thought was a fair review putting all aspects in concept. the iVerge was just blasting the phone, this one took a little more fair look at the phone for what it is, as a WHOLE PACKAGE, not just the 950 itself.

When you really buy a phone these days, you have to look at the WHOLE picture, not just what the phone offers for features but, the whole support systems that is in place, for apps, or other features (NFC, Mobile payments, etc)...It's not just a Phone any more.

CNET said:
But when you consider all the things that make up a modern mobile operating system -- mobile payments, access to limitless apps, software extras that work consistently well -- Windows 10 doesn't fix enough past problems and only introduces others. I was hoping for more with Windows 10 on phones, wanting to believe in the promise that Continuum would give the Lumia a competitive edge by boosting your productivity. It doesn't.

I can say I agree on this. Microsoft is KNOWN to release products before they are fully ready (I understand what needs to go into a release like a PC or mobile OS and sure there will ALWAYS be bugs), Continuum looks like a GREAT feature but, in practice, to be a replacement for a laptop (and should be the goal here) is not even near ready yet. Many reviews show this, and I have never touched it yet. As Daniel said on this site "Who will use this ?".

The app, mobile payment, if your coming from a Apple or Android world, these features you just EXPECT these days. Every other phone has it. Windows Phone, no matter how you look at it or LOVE it, it still is lacking. We had mobile payment for a while and as it was cool, I think google purchased it, just to stop Microsoft from accessing it....from there...ANYTHING ? Oh, wait..."Commning soon™"...Something WP owners from WP7 are getting used to.

Apps ? Sure, for every 1 person who has every app they want, there is 9 people who are wishing for that 1 app that is available on other platforms. Banking apps ? How about LOCAL apps (local TV, news, radio) ? How about the TOP 10 mobile apps available for iOS ? Maybe 2-3 are on WP. Will Universal apps work ? Who knows, way to early to know. You buy a phone for today, not a possibility in 6-8 months.

There is NO getting around this, These issues she said are solid issues, they were there when Windows Phone 7 came out and they are even worse now (big banks pulled out)...

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
This isn't a Windows Mobile review, it's a Lumia 950/950XL review. The phone itself is pretty amazing. The camera is superior to any other out on the market in a phone. The processor is as well. I guess I might be the only one here, but cracked screens have become synonymous with iOS and Andriod premium phone builds. I don't care how elegant a phone is, if it's going to shatter upon the first drop, you can keep the glass and metal. The display is amazing, and the Qi wireless charging, iris scanner, and continuum features make it a great phone. I get the restrictions of apps and the fact that the OS is still in beta, but that's on the OS, not the phone itself.

loribinca

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I dunno. I've been a WP fan since the beginning, but I really can't find fault with anything she said. I mean, she says she actually likes the phone but the ecosystem itself is just lagging so far behind that it's hard to recommend it.

- Boring but good hardware. Yup
- OS still has too many rough edges. Yup
- No payments system. Yup
- App gap. Yup

Pretty much sums up the state of the windows mobile union in 2015

If they didn't spend the last few years constantly throwing out the bathwater and starting over, we might be in a better place.

I'll add this

two of my most used app's just quit the entire windows ecosystem (Mint & Comixology)
Amazon does't want to work with the platform (can't use my Prime subscription on the phone)
Ditto for Google Drive/Google docs - everyone in my writing group uses this for critique, it seems the defacto choice these days

Also, WTH didn't they enable *ALL* windows apps to run in continuum, even in a basic rudimentary form - turns a cool feature into somewhat of a limited thing if I can only use certain apps and I can't predict which ones those are.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This isn't a Windows Mobile review, it's a Lumia 950/950XL review.

Yea but, this is something MOST Windows Phone/Mobile fans don't understand. When you BUY a phone, you buy into the ecosystem. As we have learned, it's one of most important features of a phone today.

If you have always had Windows Phone and never touched Android or iOS for a week or 2 (buy a used phone to play with) as I did (Windows Mobile to Windows Phone, never owned a Android device) and with my LG G3 the apps were AMAZING. Local, major, my bank, the little store down the street, even the place I work has a Android/iOS app... The OS on Android, that is for another discussion.

If your a Android or iPhone user looking at Windows Phone for the first time, this is something CRITICAL to them to know before buying one....Many of those beloved apps WONT be available.

I think the review was right in line...Phone/features/camera was nice, Continuum was a little buggy and might not be useful as a laptop replacement at this point but, one fact that has been said by reviewer and reviewer...the App problem is the big issue with ANY Windows Phone device..

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I did not think the review was a good read, but 7/10 is fair for the Lumia 950.

There was a time when developer support of a platform did not affect the value and perception of a phone, but in these days it does. It really does... Those who say otherwise are only disrespecting those who continue to contribute to the Windows ecosystem.

Keep saying "apps don't matter" as it is clear that a large number of WP fans are not interested in app development for their platform, and obviously have no intention of purchasing let alone using apps on their phones.

This attitude is both ironic and circular in logic.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Yea but, this is something MOST Windows Phone/Mobile fans don't understand. When you BUY a phone, you buy into the ecosystem. As we have learned, it's one of most important features of a phone today.

If you have always had Windows Phone and never touched Android or iOS for a week or 2 (buy a used phone to play with) as I did (Windows Mobile to Windows Phone, never owned a Android device) and with my LG G3 the apps were AMAZING. Local, major, my bank, the little store down the street, even the place I work has a Android/iOS app... The OS on Android, that is for another discussion.

If your a Android or iPhone user looking at Windows Phone for the first time, this is something CRITICAL to them to know before buying one....Many of those beloved apps WONT be available.

I think the review was right in line...Phone/features/camera was nice, Continuum was a little buggy and might not be useful as a laptop replacement at this point but, one fact that has been said by reviewer and reviewer...the App problem is the big issue with ANY Windows Phone device..

Honestly, just based off the app situation alone, I would give the Lumia 950/950XL a 0/10 because the app situation is that mission critical to most people. Call me a troll or whatever, but when dealing with the Joe Public the apps are what make or break a device.

Edit: I currently have a Lumia 920. To the Joe Public it's a 0/10 because of the app situation, though for me personally it's an 8/10. The 950 looks like a 10/10 for me personally but for Joe Public it's once again a 0/10 because of the app situation.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
To quote the summary paragraph of Daniel Rubino's review:

"However, its ho-hum design and meager app selection will keep switchers at bay leaving just enough to satisfy the die-hard Microsoft fans."

He doesn't like it. Moreover, he has the same criticisms of it that the other reviewers do. So yeah, I see a pattern.

Well...the question of liking the design is a subjective assessment. For example, I don't like the design of the iPhone 6. But obviously a lot of people are buying it and I have to assume that they like the design too. In effect, it means nothing. I quite like the 950XL design and, more to the point, the 950XL - in terms of hardware - will serve my purposes eminently. As for the so-called app gap, I don't seem to face it. Banking apps? I have apps for the banks I use in two countries. Maps? The Windows Map (coupled with the Here maps combo) address that. I am an avid Reddit user and there are at least two brilliant Reddit apps (my go-to is Readit and I am test driving the new Baconit); For messaging I use Whatsapp (because I have to) and my personal use is taken care of by Telegram (across my devices). Viber and Skype take care of my calling/ video calling requirements (though, honestly, Skype continues to be terrible).

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
A payment system isn't something you can just slap together ... Besides its not something most people are actually using yet

well they had an NFC mobile payment system with Wallet in Windows Phone 8 (2012!). and then Softcard and the carriers basically killed it in the US by wanting to control it.

the question is what is taking them so long to reboot it? i don't think it's the OS, methods are available to them, contracts with banks maybe?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, just based off the app situation alone, I would give the Lumia 950/950XL a 0/10 because the app situation is that mission critical to most people. Call me a troll or whatever, but when dealing with the Joe Public the apps are what make or break a device.

Edit: I currently have a Lumia 920. To the Joe Public it's a 0/10 because of the app situation, though for me personally it's an 8/10. The 950 looks like a 10/10 for me personally but for Joe Public it's once again a 0/10 because of the app situation.

Well, you cant say it's a 0....The phone it self, from reviewers, is about a 7-8 on the 0-10 scale. One thing to remember on all this. It's one of those, TO EACH THEIR OWN.

If you don't need 1,.2 billion apps and the APPS you DO need on Windows Phone are available, then it could be a 10 to you but, in other cases it might not be that.

When it comes down to it, it's all about everyone's needs. This review from CNET was DEAD on with that statement and a general review on the device, almost mirrors what Daniel here said.

There was a day where I was ok, with the apps.....but, I lost Bank of America...So I need to DRIVE to the bank now to deposit a check.... I had tap to pay, that was available in a bunch of places around where I live and it was nice, just to tap and go... I used to be able to Mute Cortana with the power button but, cant do that any more...oh, wait, that is a 10 thing...anyway...

So, in a nut shell, it's a nice phone but, the App problem is not getting better, if anything it's getting a lot worse and there is a BIG question if Microsoft's efforts (universal apps, iOS/Android to WP), will resolve this problem and if any time soon.

I wish Microsoft would find that PERFECT angle here to make it grow... Go with the old apple thing "Think Different" and market it that way....Maybe Windows Phone might have a chance here...

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
So what would entice me to get this phone over another windows phone if the focus is going to be on the OS? That's my point. Trust me, I get the association the OS is going to have with every phone. That goes without saying, but the point of this review should be focused on the phone itself in how it integrates with the ecosystem. I don't really get the 0/10 grade. That would imply that there are no apps on the Windows mobile ecosystem that are present on others. Now we know that isn't the case. In face where the 7/10 grade does seem adequate would be the app comparison. I'd say that windows 10 has 70% of what the other OS's have when it comes to apps.
The review on here is much more detailed and realistic as it truly provides a break down of pro's and cons from a hardware perspective and software. There are a lot of people who use both a windows and android/iphones.

dibsbibs

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
To quote the summary paragraph of Daniel Rubino's review:

"However, its ho-hum design and meager app selection will keep switchers at bay leaving just enough to satisfy the die-hard Microsoft fans."

He doesn't like it. Moreover, he has the same criticisms of it that the other reviewers do. So yeah, I see a pattern.

I study communication skills and one of the more important things I've learned so far is miscommunication can occur when people do not say exactly what they mean in the verbal symbols they use. Dan didn't say 'I don't like the Lumia 950 in general' but the quote you said above. I'm not saying I believe you're wrong, just that you could be wrong as decoding verbal symbols is complete guesswork, no matter how communication competent we believe we are.

On the 950 reviews, I can understand why people don't like it but at the same time there's a fair bit to like about it. As Nadella said, it's a phone 'for the fans' and in that regard, I believe Microsoft has succeeded. Phone reviewers are looking at its ability to convert people to Windows 10 Mobile which is why I believe it's being criticised the way it is. I agree it's a boring phone but like what an AK-47 is to guns, it's a boring phone that does its intended job very well apart from a few glitches here and there.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, you cant say it's a 0....The phone it self, from reviewers, is about a 7-8 on the 0-10 scale. One thing to remember on all this. It's one of those, TO EACH THEIR OWN.

If you don't need 1,.2 billion apps and the APPS you DO need on Windows Phone are available, then it could be a 10 to you but, in other cases it might not be that.

When it comes down to it, it's all about everyone's needs. This review from CNET was DEAD on with that statement and a general review on the device, almost mirrors what Daniel here said.

There was a day where I was ok, with the apps.....but, I lost Bank of America...So I need to DRIVE to the bank now to deposit a check.... I had tap to pay, that was available in a bunch of places around where I live and it was nice, just to tap and go... I used to be able to Mute Cortana with the power button but, cant do that any more...oh, wait, that is a 10 thing...anyway...

So, in a nut shell, it's a nice phone but, the App problem is not getting better, if anything it's getting a lot worse and there is a BIG question if Microsoft's efforts (universal apps, iOS/Android to WP), will resolve this problem and if any time soon.

I wish Microsoft would find that PERFECT angle here to make it grow... Go with the old apple thing "Think Different" and market it that way....Maybe Windows Phone might have a chance here...

They have, they're just going to allow IOS apps to run on WP. :)

White Raven7

Nov 15, 2015
Visit site
All this talk about the design being dull is nonsense. I personally love the simple professional clean design and color.
The removable/replaceable back plate all
  1. ows people to change the color and texture if they want.
  2. The removable/replaceable battery makes the phone far more valuable than fixed battery "disposable phones".
  3. The camera button is a great design idea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb