Disappointing 950 review on Cnet!

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Ugh, read between the lines. I actually thought was a fair review putting all aspects in concept. the iVerge was just blasting the phone, this one took a little more fair look at the phone for what it is, as a WHOLE PACKAGE, not just the 950 itself.

When you really buy a phone these days, you have to look at the WHOLE picture, not just what the phone offers for features but, the whole support systems that is in place, for apps, or other features (NFC, Mobile payments, etc)...It's not just a Phone any more.

I can say I agree on this. Microsoft is KNOWN to release products before they are fully ready (I understand what needs to go into a release like a PC or mobile OS and sure there will ALWAYS be bugs), Continuum looks like a GREAT feature but, in practice, to be a replacement for a laptop (and should be the goal here) is not even near ready yet. Many reviews show this, and I have never touched it yet. As Daniel said on this site "Who will use this ?".

The app, mobile payment, if your coming from a Apple or Android world, these features you just EXPECT these days. Every other phone has it. Windows Phone, no matter how you look at it or LOVE it, it still is lacking. We had mobile payment for a while and as it was cool, I think google purchased it, just to stop Microsoft from accessing it....from there...ANYTHING ? Oh, wait..."Commning soon?"...Something WP owners from WP7 are getting used to.

Apps ? Sure, for every 1 person who has every app they want, there is 9 people who are wishing for that 1 app that is available on other platforms. Banking apps ? How about LOCAL apps (local TV, news, radio) ? How about the TOP 10 mobile apps available for iOS ? Maybe 2-3 are on WP. Will Universal apps work ? Who knows, way to early to know. You buy a phone for today, not a possibility in 6-8 months.

There is NO getting around this, These issues she said are solid issues, they were there when Windows Phone 7 came out and they are even worse now (big banks pulled out)...

Tom's hardware did a review on continuum and loved it. The goal was to write the review using continuum. That is how you truly test what the product is. And as a result he ended up loving it.

How Productive Can You Be With Microsoft's Continuum And The Lumia 950? (Hands On Video)

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Honestly I'm with Pierre Blackwell here, it's suppose to be a "phone" review not a eco-system/accessories review..
Cnet reviewer's 950 Phone's "Bad" list ;
*Windows phones still have a huge app deficit compared to iPhone and Android. (Not the Phone, its a MS mobile issue)
*The 950's standout Continuum feature is buggy and cumbersome, and requires separate hardware to use. (It's a "Accessory" for the phone, doesn't come in the box, 90-95% of phone users would never buy this "accessory")
*The phone's ho-hum design feels dated-(I'll give her that one lol)

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone check out Cnet's crappy review of the Lumia 950 yet??
I have to say the comment section blasts the reviewer BUT why they let a Google Android lover review a Windows phone is beyond me... Very disappointing, she gave it a 7 out of 10, I certainly put my 2 cents in :eck:
Microsoft Lumia 950 review - CNET
MS said it when they released 950 and 950XL - these are mostly targetted for fans. If you like it, buy it. All these vague reviews will be there.

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Honestly I'm with Pierre Blackwell here, it's suppose to be a "phone" review not a eco-system/accessories review..
Cnet reviewer's 950 Phone's "Bad" list ;
*Windows phones still have a huge app deficit compared to iPhone and Android. (Not the Phone, its a MS mobile issue)
*The 950's standout Continuum feature is buggy and cumbersome, and requires separate hardware to use. (It's a "Accessory" for the phone, doesn't come in the box, 90-95% of phone users would never buy this "accessory")
*The phone's ho-hum design feels dated-(I'll give her that one lol)
True. With new iPhone / Samsung phone release they should review it starting with stating whats new in Apple or Android App store!!

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
A review from an android user point of view.

All the stuff she wants like Gmail, google map, google doc, are non issues. the native outlook/mail handles Gmail fine. OneDrive and office is better for me than google docs. Here maps are the best esp for offline use.

Funny she said the living images are like iPhone, when it was iPhone that copied Lumia.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
You can't review/judge a phone/pc/tablet/whatever based on what third-party apps are available. It makes no sense. You have to base it on the core apps and experience using the tools that ARE included. A phone is a small computer so you need the core software like email, web-browser and so on. If people continue to judge based on wether or not snapchat makes its app for the OS there will allways be impossisble to introduce new products and systems to rival android and ios. That's NOT good for the consumers.

They don't attack the Mac when it lacks all the software available for PC's, so why is this so hard not to do regarding Windows phones?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, you cant say it's a 0....The phone it self, from reviewers, is about a 7-8 on the 0-10 scale. One thing to remember on all this. It's one of those, TO EACH THEIR OWN.

If you don't need 1,.2 billion apps and the APPS you DO need on Windows Phone are available, then it could be a 10 to you but, in other cases it might not be that.

When it comes down to it, it's all about everyone's needs. This review from CNET was DEAD on with that statement and a general review on the device, almost mirrors what Daniel here said.

There was a day where I was ok, with the apps.....but, I lost Bank of America...So I need to DRIVE to the bank now to deposit a check.... I had tap to pay, that was available in a bunch of places around where I live and it was nice, just to tap and go... I used to be able to Mute Cortana with the power button but, cant do that any more...oh, wait, that is a 10 thing...anyway...

So, in a nut shell, it's a nice phone but, the App problem is not getting better, if anything it's getting a lot worse and there is a BIG question if Microsoft's efforts (universal apps, iOS/Android to WP), will resolve this problem and if any time soon.

I wish Microsoft would find that PERFECT angle here to make it grow... Go with the old apple thing "Think Different" and market it that way....Maybe Windows Phone might have a chance here...

Slightly OT: Speaking of Cortana, what the hell did Microsoft do with that in W10M? It's pretty much useless beyond the most basic things (setting alarms, reminders, starting a song, etc). Here's what I asked today: "is sweet tomatoes open right now". This is the answer I got:
wp_ss_20151122_0003.png

And I don't even live in California! That result is a complete joke (and yes, I double checked that Cortana was actually on and that Location was as well).

I tried it on my Moto E too (which cost me all of $50 no contract) and OK Google of course answered with voice ("sweet tomatoes is currently open") and a page with links to the nearest store, directions, and business hours.

This is what Cortana used to do too, I'm pretty sure! It seems to be crippled in W10M. How is Microsoft expecting to compete here? Is this "cloud first, mobile first"? How can a reviewer be expected to give a good review to a phone that can't even do this sort of tasks (which should be required today)?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
IMHO, it is just not about 950/XL or any windows phone. The article appeared quite honest to me and yes there is an app gap on windows store and it is getting worse over time. As a consumer, I would like to see apps I need and most users would feel disappointed after seeing loads of third party apps and very less official but incomplete apps after switching to Windows Mobile. As long as design of 950 is concerened, it looks more like a mid-range than a flagship phone. OS does have little quirks here and there and does not look visually great (not sure why do they think everything should be grey!) build apart from smooth/fast performance. MS have to close the app-gap and fine tune the OS (both lookwise and should feel like a complete OS).

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't get why people get mad or defensive when a reviewer argues that WP lacks Apps... it's a complete truth. You may have the best device ever, hardware wise, if there is nothing to take advantage of the hardware or that will make you use it, why would you buy this "expensive" phone over another? That's the point. WP is the challenger here and is treated as such. The phone itself is great but compared to other windows phones on the market, what's new? Compared to the competition, besides continuum for a few people, what will make people buy this phone?

People buy a device knowing they will be able to use the apps they have loved and known for years. All new apps, even the most insignificant ones, are released on IOS or Android and that's reassuring for the people who are buying a device, specifically at this price point. There is no need to start reviewing Android devices or iPhones based on their stores. We know it's full of apps and the number is still growing. The goal is to review how new Android phones and iPhones improve the overall experience.

So, the camera on the 950 seems amazing and I was doubting it at first. Even if I still wait for more reviews to make up my mind. Windows Hello is nice but really slow compared to a fingerprint scanner. Continuum is a great feature but a niche one. On the other hand, WP wants to be for "productive" people. Where is SugarCRM, where is Salesforce, where is basecamp, where is Webex, where is Teamwork, where's Google docs/drive and so on? That's only for professionals.... now for the masses, the list goes on and on. So yeah, great device... that can't do much compare to the competition despite it's blazing fast hardware.

I have a 930 (that I clearly hate hardware wise) and I'm okay with WP in general. However, I do have a nexus 7 tablet on the side. it's night and day in terms of apps availability and support. Most common apps are on WP, sure. But they are mostly from 2-3 years ago compare to Android or IOS. Now, without speaking of "big names apps", I'll mostly take the side of local apps. The ones that companies around you offer. Even Cortana's integration with local public transports is not on par with Google Now. On WP, it's a disaster. You may look at big names apps and think: "it's all there, what are you talking about?" but that's the trees hiding the forrest. In everyday life, it's not the big brands that matter the most but the apps you want and need to use and you don't need to be a hater to realize that Windows phone users are left behind, and unless MS gives an incentive to developers, the situation won't improve anytime soon.

Now going back to the review. I didn't think it was specifically bad. I'm now waiting for Michael Fisher's review to be honest. He used to defend WP and his reviews are always complete, thorough and full of sense. Let's see if he's going to be enthusiastic about the phone or not.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Honestly it's just a software issue, the phones themselves are great tech. Once the memory leaks are patched everyone will stop the qq's. I remember lollipop 5.0 and ios 4 thru current... Battery on lollipop is still crap and ios, if not provisioned correctly can be a serious issue such as no notifications pushed, screen at low settings, closing out apps, etc.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Android Pay was released September 10th, 2015. That's right, 2 months ago. And people are complaining W10M doesn't have it yet?!? Wow... just wow.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Android Pay was released September 10th, 2015. That's right, 2 months ago. And people are complaining W10M doesn't have it yet?!? Wow... just wow.

I don't think it's that big a deal but what really stings is that Windows Phone had it earlier this year and lost it. And even though it's only be out on android for a short time (though mobile pay has been out longer), it IS there and people get used to things quickly and expect them.

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
All this talk about the design being dull is nonsense. I personally love the simple professional clean design and color.
The removable/replaceable back plate all
  1. ows people to change the color and texture if they want.
  2. The removable/replaceable battery makes the phone far more valuable than fixed battery "disposable phones".
  3. The camera button is a great design idea.

Do you really think many case manufacturers would create back plates for this phone? This phone wouldn't sell well. They would just lose money in designing cases for this phone.

Also, most of those back plates/cases are only available in the US. Not all Lumia owners across the globe can buy them.

I still prefer the design of the previous Lumias. Really not a fan of the 950 design. Being simple is not enough. Considering MS' position in the smartphone industry, they should've brought a killer and standout design to bring the attention of people.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
You can't review/judge a phone/pc/tablet/whatever based on what third-party apps are available. It makes no sense. You have to base it on the core apps and experience using the tools that ARE included. A phone is a small computer so you need the core software like email, web-browser and so on. If people continue to judge based on wether or not snapchat makes its app for the OS there will allways be impossisble to introduce new products and systems to rival android and ios. That's NOT good for the consumers.

They don't attack the Mac when it lacks all the software available for PC's, so why is this so hard not to do regarding Windows phones?

So, let's get the 950 and pretend it runs on Sailfish, would you still give this phone a 10/10? If an equivalent of the surface pro 4 was released but you could only run Linux on it, would you buy it even if the specs are amazing?

In a way, if we were following your logic, you are giving a point to Apple fanboys. For years, the Mac had the core apps everyone would need OUT OF THE BOX, e.g : iTunes, iMovie, Garageband, iPhoto already included while none of these tools were included with Windows... So if we were judging by that, Macs should have been more popular instead of having such a small market share.

Now people don't "attack" the mac because there is a third wheel named Linux that does much worse. Also because most apps (Office, mail, browsers, Adobe suite etc) are actually available on Macs, work flawlessly and are up to date.

In a way, WP is the equivalent of Linux on the PC segment. it's there, it's good but not good enough and still lacks what the others have.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's that big a deal but what really stings is that Windows Phone had it earlier this year and lost it. And even though it's only be out on android for a short time (though mobile pay has been out longer), it IS there and people get used to things quickly and expect them.

Apple Pay was released October 2014, Android Pay was released September 2015 (11 months later). It's coming - these things just take time.

I feel like people (not necessarily you, MikeSo) think if a product does not come out doing everything the iPhone can, with all services the iPhone has, and all Apps the iPhone market has, it might as well not be released at all. Apple won - case closed. Everyone go sell your phones and buy an iPhone.

In a world where companies are suing other companies over the shape of their phone (Apple v Samsung), the name of a product (Microsoft v Sky), and basic common sense interface design, such as rubber-banding the end of a scrolling list (Apple v Everyone), making a copy of an iPhone will just get you in hot water. Microsoft can't simply give us the iPhone with their name on it. They have to do things completely differently, or they'll be sued (or have to pay so much in licencing and royalties that it doesn't make financial sense to do it).

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel like people think if a product does not come out doing everything the iPhone can, with all services the iPhone has, and all Apps the iPhone market has, it might as well not be released at all.

For the average Joe Public though, that IS the case. Hence the reason for me saying I'd give the Lumia 950 a 0/10 (something I still stand by, even if it's an opinion that'll get me hated, heck I'd even give any BlackBerry except for the Priv the same rating because of the apps). The fact of the matter is that for many people the iPhone apps and services are critical for them.

In a world where companies are suing other companies over the shape of their phone (Apple v Samsung), the name of a product (Microsoft v Sky), and basic common sense interface design, such as rubber-banding the end of a scrolling list (Apple v Everyone), making a copy of an iPhone will just get you in hot water. Microsoft can't simply give us the iPhone with their name on it. They have to do things completely differently, or they'll be sued (or have to pay so much in licencing and royalties that it doesn't make financial sense to do it).

And herein lies the crux of the issue and proves why Microsoft is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't. Create an iPhone clone, get sued until they go bankrupt, don't make an iPhone clone and people won't touch it with a ten foot barge pole. Then factor in the hatred towards Microsoft by techies and reviewers (I know a lot of techies that have an absolute disdain to Microsoft) and you can see why Microsoft is in an extremely tough position.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 1520 user here. I've been a WP fan since the days of the HTC Trophy which was my first WP (I had a couple of older Windows Mobile devices as well).

My 1520 is on it's very last legs. It has the screen problem of whazzing out on me like so many. The only fix to get it to stop is to bend the phone a little. Having said that, I am off contract so pretty much, the world is mine so to speak when it comes to my options. I really wanted to like these new devices and upgrade to a 950XL myself. Problem is, ATT is not carrying the XL and I really don't want to go back down to a 5.2" screen (see what the 1520 does to you!). So it's either pony up for the XL unlocked at $649, get something else besides a WP (shudder when I think about this), or try to stretch out the 1520 as long as possible. I chose option B which is get something else. As much as I love, LOVE WP, I just cannot justify $649 out of pocket at one time with no subsidy. That, along with the knowledge that WM10 isn't quite ready yet IMO and it will be a nice change having something that doesn't lack for app availability.

Look, this review is spot on. The hardware itself is great, the unfortunate thing is, it is being run by an OS that isn't quite ready with an app selection that while hopefully improving, is still seriously lacking compared to the other platforms. NO big deal though, I'll just sit out this generation and wait a year or so and see what WP is up to then because I am sure I'll be ready to come back at that point.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Look, this review is spot on. The hardware itself is great, the unfortunate thing is, it is being run by an OS that isn't quite ready with an app selection that while hopefully improving, is still seriously lacking compared to the other platforms. NO big deal though, I'll just sit out this generation and wait a year or so and see what WP is up to then because I am sure I'll be ready to come back at that point.

This is exactly what Microsoft does NOT need. If people want Windows Mobile to succeed, they MUST buy it, and fight for it. They must email app developers and demand W10M apps. They must download and purchase existing apps, supporting current developers.

Sitting on the sidelines will only doom the platform.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
No its not something that can be slapped together. But when you are the largest software developer in the world and you are currently a year behind other payments system, something is wrong. While we wait to get it right, the rest of the industry as you know continues to move at a lightning pace. Consumers are not waiting for MS to get it right. Consumers buying into windows phone is the only way this platform will grow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss