Disappointing 950 review on Cnet!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This is exactly what Microsoft does NOT need. If people want Windows Mobile to succeed, they MUST buy it, and fight for it. They must email app developers and demand W10M apps. They must download and purchase existing apps, supporting current developers.

Sitting on the sidelines will only doom the platform.
Many people have done that for the past 3-4 years.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, and while we wait the rest of the industry is moving past us. I do want them to get it right but at what point do we start to hold the largest software company's feet to the fire? You telling me that apple and android are that much better than MS that they can be at least a year ahead of us in the mobile payment space???? By saying wait to get it right is an excuse we keep giving to this company. It's become a mantra meme or insider joke among other posters. I keep seeing MS should trademark "soon" or "coming soon" Or wait until next year, windows phone will be great.

Dusan Randj

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly what Microsoft does NOT need. If people want Windows Mobile to succeed, they MUST buy it, and fight for it. They must email app developers and demand W10M apps. They must download and purchase existing apps, supporting current developers.

We are not MSFT employes to work their jo, you know. I don't have to pay them for phone and then work for them. If they want their platform to succeed, they could hire a man or two to send mails to companies asking them to make apps. If just a few percent of requests succeed, it'll change things a lot.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
What I don't understand is why they're not selling these at much lower cost. If they want more apps they need more users, and to get more users the price needs to be so good that they use would be willing to live with the app gap. Once more apps start coming in they can start ramping up the profit margins again. Maybe they hope that the 640 and 640XL will bring in the most users and that there are enough WP 'enthusiasts' that they can recoup the 950 development costs?

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

Really? I'm suppose to just stay with WP come hell or high water? That's something a blind ****** does. This however, is the US where capitialism reigns (for the time being at least ;)). If MSFT really wants the phone platform to survive and eventually thrive, they'll get their butts in gear and do what needs to be done. However, those of us who live in the real world, have needs (wants) in terms of app selection and right now, the app store for MSFT just ain't cutting it. With the whole universal app thing happening, I hope that changes in the near future as I really love WP. However, for the time being, I need a new device and the Lumia 950 while awesome hardware, leaves me wanting in other departments. Plus, I am really excited to see what comes of Continum (sp?) and after the Denim update on my 1520, I really don't want to be another beta tester for WM10.

Oh, and I've been supportive of this platform for a long time now and the only thing that has gotten us, is a great device with an OS that needs some serious bug fixes and tweaks. All of this while I watch the app store shrink before my eyes.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What I don't understand is why they're not selling these at much lower cost. If they want more apps they need more users, and to get more users the price needs to be so good that they use would be willing to live with the app gap. Once more apps start coming in they can start ramping up the profit margins again. Maybe they hope that the 640 and 640XL will bring in the most users and that there are enough WP 'enthusiasts' that they can recoup the 950 development costs?

That was Nokia's tactic which Microsoft followed through on while absorbing the phone divisions...

It wasn't a rousing success.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm no blind ******. I had a Iphone 6 for like a month and sold it. Why, because anytime I wanted to know something like news or stock prices I had to click an icon. To be honest I guess they did have that pull down thing for stocks...still lame.

I have also owned 4 android phones this year (Xperia Z ultra, Lg G pro 2, LG Stylo (I like this phone) and a Blu Pure XL). I still have them all, but I miss windows. It's just simple. I make a live tile for the stuff I'm interested in and it's just there when I turn my phone on.

I'm a core app kind of guy, so I'm happy with the direction they are going. I see no reason they can't flip the smart phone market on it's ears. These phones are for us the fans and I'm glad they made them...if only to work out all the bugs b4 the Surface Phone drops.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
We are not MSFT employes to work their jo, you know. I don't have to pay them for phone and then work for them. If they want their platform to succeed, they could hire a man or two to send mails to companies asking them to make apps. If just a few percent of requests succeed, it'll change things a lot.

I respectfully disagree. The reason the app store is lacking is a classic catch-22. Developers look at market share and decide it's not worth it to them to develop for the Windows 10 Mobile platform. The only way developers can be convinced to make apps is if people purchase the phones, download the existing apps, and write developers asking for them to support the platform. Microsoft sending them letters isn't likely enough to do it. It's going to take thousands of people requesting an app before someone thinks, "Hey, maybe I can make some money on the Microsoft app store. I think I'll port my app."

If people think that there's not enough apps, so they'll just wait, or buy an iPhone/Android phone, then the market won't improve.

The reason the Apple app store is as large as it is, was they were first with the concept of a unified store. Once it caught on, there really wasn't much competition so their store grew rapidly and thrived. Android came along and offered an alternative, on a Java platform that developers were used to, and gave away the OS. Phones were cheap and the low end market took off. Microsoft has the tough job of inserting itself somewhere in the middle. They're not going to dominate the market, but no one really should - that just hurts competition. But they can get 20% of the market and be a decent 3rd place, or even 2nd place in the rankings. There's room for all three OSs - 33% each would be nice. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo