How about a car charger for the Lumia 950?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I don't see any car USB-C chargers available anywhere. The few available on Amazon have horrible reviews.

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
You might want to reconsider..

https://plus.google.com/+BensonLeung/posts/HakwCMmd346

"Q : Why is a bad 3A resistor a problem?
A: 3A is bad because all of these cables and adapters are legacy host port adapter cable, meaning the other end of the cable is Type-A plug. The Type-A port and the vast majority of the devices that have Type-A ports were never designed to support 3A charging.

The cable lies to the phone by telling the phone it's attached to a pure 3A charging path, like the C-to-C cable to the OEM 3A charger that ships with the Nexus 6P/5X. The phone will attempt to draw 3A, but that may damage the weaker device you have the Type-A end of the cable plugged into.

Q: If I have a 1A or 2A charger, am I safe?
No, if you have a weaker charger, you are actually at MORE risk because your phone/tablet/laptop may not know to stop at the 1A or 2A limit the charger advertises because of the improper identifier in the cable."

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

A: 3A is bad because all of these cables and adapters are legacy host port adapter cable, meaning the other end of the cable is Type-A plug. The Type-A port and the vast majority of the devices that have Type-A ports were never designed to support 3A charging.

The cable lies to the phone by telling the phone it's attached to a pure 3A charging path, like the C-to-C cable to the OEM 3A charger that ships with the Nexus 6P/5X. The phone will attempt to draw 3A, but that may damage the weaker device you have the Type-A end of the cable plugged into.

No, if you have a weaker charger, you are actually at MORE risk because your phone/tablet/laptop may not know to stop at the 1A or 2A limit the charger advertises because of the improper identifier in the cable."

Thanks, however the context here is about Car Chargers :).

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
? house charger or car charger it still applies. If the cable fools the device into thinking it can charge at a higher amperage, you could have some problems. Type A ports were never spec'd to supported 3A.

Now, I hope the cable that was shipped with our phones is properly built even though it seems almost no other manufacturer can build one correctly. But I suspect it's there mainly as a data cable since type c is so new.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

If you read the entire FAQ, it's entirely safe as long as you're using a cable that meets the specification.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium