12-17-2015 03:53 PM
141 12345 ...
tools
    I went to an ATT corporate store last night. The 950 was on display and working, the dock was displayed with it. The salesman that helped me knew the phone. He let me know about all offers that were available with the phone, like the Surface 3 deal. He showed me a case, screen protector and the dock while my new phone was updating. I ended up buying the phone, dock and a screen protector when all was done. I had a very good experience.
    You should email the store manager and mention the sales person and thank them for being knowledgeable and professional.
    11-22-2015 11:21 PM
    First off, did you go to a AT&T corporate store or a 3rd party store? If it was a Corporate store I find it hard to believe because I did training with them and they loved the 950 and 950 xl and all of it's amazing abilities. I went to the device night and it was 75% AT&T employees. Now if you are in a market that didn't have a device night then those employees need to be drawn and quartered because they are morons, just kidding. Then the problem lies with AT&T and their lack of training as usual.
    11-23-2015 12:01 AM
    when will people realise , its not about volume anymore , microsoft have given up . All these devices are for fans. Not consumers , if you want to expereince that stuff visit microsoft store. Here in australia there is no stores to see that even , not even single carrier is selling it. But fans will buy it from overseas.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    11-23-2015 03:59 AM
    The phone market in US is seriously messed up
    Not just over there though.
    The sale guy at my local EE store did his very best to stop me getting a WP phone.
    11-23-2015 04:06 AM
    I don't know about you guys but here in Kenya we have shops everywhere you look selling phones. It would be madness for an operator to sell phones that are locked to them. Some tried years ago and it backfired terribly. Phones sold by telcoms are unlocked.

In the major cities, every tenth shop is a phone selling shop. From tecno to samsung to nokia to lg to htc to sony to bird and others. You walk in the streets and you'll see tecno or samsung or nokia smartphones. You'll barely see anyone with an iphone. Those that you do see with an iphone probably got it from their relatives abroad

I can buy any phone I want from the city center and the prices will more or less be the same. If telcom companies have the model I'm looking for, they might even have it on offer or lower priced. That's how I bought my lumia 1020 at 450USD when other shops were sellinh at 610USD or higher

Telcom shops or normal phone shops never push you to buy a certain phone. You ask any phone and they'll find it for you. I've never seen sales rep criticising phones or OSs. Most telcom shops even have sales reps from the phone companies

There are even shops that are completely for one phone company like tecno or samsung or Nokia. You can find them in every town and city

I don't know what developed nation markets are thinking. I thought we live in a free market where anything sells and can be bought? It looks like it works a whole lot better in developing nations rather than developed nations. No wonder Nokia/MS smartphone share in Kenya is 15% or higher (based on my daily observances in public transport and tech events)
    11-23-2015 04:21 AM
    But its like our politics. We get what we deserve because we don't educate ourselves and vote smart at either the ballot box or with out wallets.
    Beat me to it, A good candidate could save a baby from a fire and not be news worthy a bad candidate that the media likes could beat his wife and it will never make the news
    11-23-2015 07:05 AM
    I went in on Saturday and my local AT&T had a big center display with the 950 and the Surface 3 along with a few other phones. I asked the rep about it and they only had 2 white in stock and so they pointed me to another AT&T store with the black version in stock. She did talk to me for a moment about the phone though, and seemed pretty positive.

The second store was much smaller (the first was a service center too) and did have the phone on display, though it wasn't labeled. Which was kind of funny because there was this big banner across the back of the store with the iPhone, Galaxy and 950 with pictures and such, but they didn't label the unit itself. Once I pointed it out, the guy went back and picked me up one. He seemed a bit confused at first, but once it turned on and he saw the OS, it clearly clicked for him. He told me that all the store employees had been trained on them recently and the trainer had come in with a display dock and showed it off and he kept talking about how cool it was.

Overall it was a good experience, everyone seemed positive about the phone and nobody ever tried to push me in another direction. I was pretty amazed by how much advertising was in the store for it, and it seems like both stores I went to were low on stock.
    11-23-2015 09:17 AM
    "Oh You're a Windows guy. I hate Windows Phone".
    And people wonder why WP is such a hard sell in the U.S. This pretty much sums up every sales person biased about WP ever.
    11-23-2015 10:18 AM
    I had a great experience at the AT&T store in Raleigh, NC. It was early evening on a Saturday and only 1 other customer (actually an AT&T Uverse employee that cam in to buy the 950 too). One rep had been dogfooding the 640XL for a few weeks and liked it, especially for a budget phone. No one was remotely disparaging about Windows phones or anything. They said they definitely don't get as many customers as iPhone, Galaxy, etc. but those that do come in know what they want (and know all about it). They ported our 2 VZW numbers and got everything setup in about 45 minutes.
    RumoredNow, libra89 and Jeddic like this.
    11-23-2015 10:28 AM
    Frankly, I think the bigger issue with these sales reps is one of "disparagement". Loooooooong time ago, 20 some years, I worked for Circuit City in sales, and a HUGE no no was talking badly about ANY product sold in the store. You would try and explain benefits of one over another, why something may not be right for needs, creative type things, but NEVER say "that sucks" or "nobody buys that" or anything similar. It was considered, look, we sell this product, we don't want to **** off the manufacturer. I don't get why this is tolerated now in these stores. We could actually get fired back then for saying similar things about any product sold in the store.
    11-23-2015 10:41 AM
    Frankly, I think the bigger issue with these sales reps is one of "disparagement". Loooooooong time ago, 20 some years, I worked for Circuit City in sales, and a HUGE no no was talking badly about ANY product sold in the store. You would try and explain benefits of one over another, why something may not be right for needs, creative type things, but NEVER say "that sucks" or "nobody buys that" or anything similar. It was considered, look, we sell this product, we don't want to **** off the manufacturer. I don't get why this is tolerated now in these stores. We could actually get fired back then for saying similar things about any product sold in the store.
    Oh man Circuit City lol memories.
    11-23-2015 10:44 AM
    So let me get this straight... Keeping in mind I dont have a degree in marketing and am an owner and proponent of the platform. You want hourly workers to educate themselves, or have the carrier pay to train them, on a platform with less that 3% market share. WOW-wee. Makes sense to me. The dill-holes selling the phones are, themselves, isheep and fandroids. What else do you expect them to shill to know-nothings walking into the store?! Yes, the [platform] sucks people need to be fired, period. But they are sales people, and lets face it, our stuff doesnt sell. AT&T is a business, first and foremost. I blame the lack of market share on MS solely. If they gave the retailers the same incentives as crApple and Samsung, it would be different. Despite the "mobile first" hoo-ha, its obvious their attention is elsewhere. So, until then, dont go into a store and harass an employee whos job it is to sell phones and not EDUCATE the general public. I would love nothing more than to get to a solid 10-12% market share, but MS controls that. Yes, they do, dont even try to argue they dont. If you dont advertise a product, get it into the hands of celebs that the typical consumer mimics, we are <3%. And it seems their goal is to go after businesses, which is actually ok because they mostly use MS products. A PC in your pocket.... may decrease laptop sales a bit but would be great for the market share. This whole thread is turning into the typical "chicken and egg" discussion. The phones dont sell because the ones selling phones dont sell them. The phones dont sell because the ones making the phones dont promote them.
    I also don't have a marketing degree, but as a consumer, I want my salesperson to be educated about EVERY product in the AT&T store. This isn't a huge store. They don't have THAT many phones. How much of a mind-numb robot have salespeople become if they don't care about what they sell? You say it's their job to sell phones and NOT to educate customers. WHAT?! What they *(&(*& do I need a sales associate for? I'd rather have an AT&T phone vending machine.

To your point of "selling phones", educating yourself and being impartial would improve your sales. Do you think Windows Mobile users want to buy from iBots or Droids? These "phone sellers" just lost out on a sale due to their ecosystem bigotry.
    editguy, wpguy and Jeddic like this.
    11-23-2015 10:56 AM
    Went to the AT&T store in Northern California Friday afternoon, 11/20, and asked the salesperson if he had any of the Lumia 950 in. His response, "The what?" When I told him that Microsoft's new phone came out today, he was befuddled, but was willing to go look and see if he had it in stock. Came back out with a box that had "display" written on it. "Oh, we were supposed to set this up this morning, but I guess we haven't gotten around to it." It was 6:00pm. After I explained all of the interesting features of the phone to him, he seemed to be impressed, but not enough to set up the display. When I was done looking, the box went back into the stock room. Luckily, they had two phones for purchase in stock. I was, apparently, the only person to ask about the phone all day. When I said that I wanted to buy it, he replied, "Really? But they have no apps..."
    11-23-2015 11:52 AM
    Except that they do push the phones they want to, like iPhones and Galaxies. I wouldn't care that they're not pushing them, but On T-mo when the 925 came out everyone I know that got one had to argue with the sales person because they were insisting that we were buying junk and we should get an iPhone instead. I had to threaten to leave to get them to shut up and sell me a phone.
    Maybe the answer is, when the rep insists you buy an iPhone or Galaxy with the newest number tacked on the end...

Insist they buy you the phone they want you to have out of their own pocket. Otherwise, since you are the one paying you should be given what you want without all the grief.
    11-23-2015 12:24 PM
    Went to the AT&T store in Northern California Friday afternoon, 11/20, and asked the salesperson if he had any of the Lumia 950 in. His response, "The what?" When I told him that Microsoft's new phone came out today, he was befuddled, but was willing to go look and see if he had it in stock. Came back out with a box that had "display" written on it. "Oh, we were supposed to set this up this morning, but I guess we haven't gotten around to it." It was 6:00pm. After I explained all of the interesting features of the phone to him, he seemed to be impressed, but not enough to set up the display. When I was done looking, the box went back into the stock room. Luckily, they had two phones for purchase in stock. I was, apparently, the only person to ask about the phone all day. When I said that I wanted to buy it, he replied, "Really? But they have no apps..."
    "They have no apps"? That is a blatant lie. Or maybe just plain ignorance.
    11-23-2015 12:41 PM
    My AT&T store has a display unit but the screen is cracked. I asked, "how can the screen already be cracked on a phone that's only been on display for one day?" He told me, "Oh, I did that. When I was installing the anti-theft device I cracked it." I didn't bother to even ask why he didn't get another phone and send that one back...

Not going to sell well if the display unit already looks like a car ran it over.
    RumoredNow and Jeddic like this.
    11-23-2015 12:48 PM
    Maybe the answer is, when the rep insists you buy an iPhone or Galaxy with the newest number tacked on the end...

Insist they buy you the phone they want you to have out of their own pocket. Otherwise, since you are the one paying you should be given what you want without all the grief.
    It's like they are afraid Windows will gain market share.
    jmajid and editguy like this.
    11-23-2015 12:57 PM
    My AT&T store has a display unit but the screen is cracked. I asked, "how can the screen already be cracked on a phone that's only been on display for one day?" He told me, "Oh, I did that. When I was installing the anti-theft device I cracked it." I didn't bother to even ask why he didn't get another phone and send that one back...

Not going to sell well if the display unit already looks like a car ran it over.
    That does need to be reported up the corporate ladder...
    jmajid, jmshub, Jeddic and 2 others like this.
    11-23-2015 01:00 PM
    The store I went to didn't even know the phone existed. I had to let them know they had it and that it existed.
    Jeddic likes this.
    11-23-2015 01:27 PM
    My encounter at a local ATT store was quite different from my past dealings in relation to Windows phones. They were quite busy and we just wanted to play with the device and get a hands on feel for it. As we shuffled around folks in the crowded store ( not big at all not a huge town) we were intercepted by an employee asking if we needed help. We told him what we were there for and he took us to the phone straight away. He seemed like he might be somewhat versed as he asked if we had any questions, and I said no, today was just about checking it out and we already own 8.1 phones. It was set up right next to the new Crapple device ( not sure if that's good or bad). I flagged him down once just to ask him about color availability and if they would carry the MOZO . He said unfortunately no although they had other cases and both black and white variants were in stock. I also asked about Hello feature and he wasn't sure how to activate or test it with the display device. Overall, not a bad experience , especially compared to my past Window experiences in this same store.
    11-23-2015 01:33 PM
    Picked up a 950 last night at an AT&T store. Having never seen the phone in person before I looked at their display model (displayed as the 950, with 950 spec sheet) and I thought, "Wow this is huge!".

It wasn't until we unboxed (in the store) our new 950 that we realized they actually had a 950 XL on display instead of a 950. Not even the sales staff realized it.

Isn't AT&T the only carrier in U.S. that has the 950? And this is the best MS and AT&T can do? lol

On the brightside, a different store we called when checking for availability, the guy was SUPER excited for the new Lumia's. Although I would say maybe the initial experience I described above is unique, based on this forum thread it seems it's the opposite, and instead finding an enthusiastic Lumia/Windows Phone salesperson is actually extremely unique.
    11-23-2015 01:59 PM
    Picked up a 950 last night at an AT&T store. Having never seen the phone in person before I looked at their display model (displayed as the 950, with 950 spec sheet) and I thought, "Wow this is huge!".

It wasn't until we unboxed (in the store) our new 950 that we realized they actually had a 950 XL on display instead of a 950. Not even the sales staff realized it.

Isn't AT&T the only carrier in U.S. that has the 950? And this is the best MS and AT&T can do? lol

On the brightside, a different store we called when checking for availability, the guy was SUPER excited for the new Lumia's. Although I would say maybe the initial experience I described above is unique, based on this forum thread it seems it's the opposite, and instead finding an enthusiastic Lumia/Windows Phone salesperson is actually extremely unique.
    That was most likely the 640XL, as AT&T won't be carrying the 950XL anytime soon if ever.
    Landsharkk likes this.
    11-23-2015 02:02 PM
    That was most likely the 640XL, as AT&T won't be carrying the 950XL anytime soon if ever.
    If that's the case, well that's still bad!

I didn't verify in the system settings of the display, so I can't be 100%. I'm also not at all familiar with the 640XL. Does the 640XL have rounded corners? The display '950' had rounded edges.
    11-23-2015 02:05 PM
    Yeah, mine has the 640XL on display too and the staff had to go verify what it was. It looks similar enough to the 950 line
    11-23-2015 02:11 PM

I don't know what developed nation markets are thinking. I thought we live in a free market where anything sells and can be bought? It looks like it works a whole lot better in developing nations rather than developed nations. No wonder Nokia/MS smartphone share in Kenya is 15% or higher (based on my daily observances in public transport and tech events)
    I think the fact that MS smartphones are dirt cheap might play a role in that.
    11-23-2015 03:00 PM
141 12345 ...