12-17-2015 04:53 PM
141 ... 23456
tools
    I have had really good and some pretty crummy in-store dealings with at&t sales staff. With that in mind, I went to my local at&t store today around lunch. I was going to pick up a 950. It turned out to be a fail on my part, I had forgotten my wallet, so they couldn't start a transaction without a photo ID. The guy there was cool, he seemed bummed, but was happy to walk me to the display unit, which was working properly and looked good. He didn't talk down on Microsoft or Lumia, nor did he try to steer me toward another phone.
    libra89 and wpguy like this.
    11-23-2015 05:04 PM
    In all seriousness, this is really good news. One of the few positive experiences we've encountered when it comes to a Windows Phone purchase.
    11-23-2015 06:20 PM
    On T-mo when the 925 came out everyone I know that got one had to argue with the sales person because they were insisting that we were buying junk and we should get an iPhone instead. I had to threaten to leave to get them to shut up and sell me a phone.
    Thank goodness that wasn't my experience with I got the 925 at a local T-Mo. I knew what I wanted. I walked in and:
    Sales lady: "Hi! Can I help you with anything?"
    Me: "I hope so. I want to buy a Nokia Lumia 925."
    Sales lady: "Ok. Let me see if we have any in stock" ----- ......------ "Yes we do." (and she brought it out)
    Me: "Great. I'll take it"

..... she then said she'd take the SIM out of my Lumia 521 and insert it in the new phone for me .. and she did. She asked if I would like a screen protector and I did ---- she put it on for me.

It was very pleasant hassle-free experience for me.
    Last edited by mark233; 11-24-2015 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary banter
    11-23-2015 06:28 PM
    I don't know if Microsoft actually pays AT&T to carry Windows Phones, but it fits right in with all the other "facts" thrown around here.
    Still, they did agree to carry the phone, so they should put as much effort as any other phone they sell. At the very least not having their employees deride it seems the professional thing to do.
    wpguy likes this.
    11-23-2015 07:55 PM
    Its interesting to see some so quick to defend what amounts to poor customer service. It does sound like things are getting better though, many positive experiences have been mentioned. Its also good to hear that AT&T is training stores on these phones by bringing in a rep to demo the experiences.

Look, I get that MS has to market their phones as part of the larger strategy to promote the product, but how in the world does that excuse AT&T employees that treat customers when it comes to Windows? AT&T employees are not expected to be knowledgeable about the products they sale and actually be helpful when selling a phone that someone is clearly interested in?

This idea that because Windows has a 3% marketshare, AT&T employees shouldn't know anything about the phones and shouldn't be able to help a customer that wants to buy one. Regardless of marketshare, AT&T is selling Windows phones. Do we think AT&T is cool with a whole bunch of inventory sitting there collecting dust because their employees cant talk about the product? AT&T is all about selling service. They really don't give a crap if its an iPhone or a Windows phone as long as the customer is paying for service. Why else carry a Windows phone in the first place if you don't intend for your employees to sell it?

Its one thing to point out the reality that most people working at these stores are already married to a phone brand, so its going to be hard to motivate them to care about any other phone, but that doesn't mean they cant have a basic knowledge in order to help someone buy any phone they sell at the store.
    11-23-2015 08:16 PM
    Again, people want to place the blame on the OS and apps, but I would venture to say 80% or more of most people purchase their phones through a carrier. And if the employees don't recommend the phone they will always sell poorly. These employees know nothing about windows phone. If that doesn't change nothing will save this OS. Not even a Surface phone.
    JohnStrk, Jeddic and wpguy like this.
    11-23-2015 10:53 PM
    I am off contract with ATT. Thank God! I ordered an unlocked 950XL a week ago. What plan should I switch to at ATT? Or T-Mobile? Or an somewhere else?
    11-23-2015 11:38 PM
    I had a good experience in the Memphis corporate store. They had a working demo out when the store opened, but it was not labeled. The sales rep I got said he was the "odd bird" a windows phone guy, he had a 640XL. I walked out with two 950's and I saw another customer buying two when I was there.
    JohnStrk and RumoredNow like this.
    11-23-2015 11:48 PM
    I went into an AT&T Corporate store in Spokane Friday at noon. They had a demo unit on display, a Full poster for the 950 and full poster for the Surface 3. I know two of the sales guys and bought a 640XL + Surface bundle about 3 months ago. They said I was the first to get a 950 from their store and they had 5 in stock. The sales people while not pushing Windows Phones have always been decently knowledgeable and I haven't had any negative comments from them about Windows Phone. Guess I have had good luck from AT&T here.
    11-24-2015 02:13 AM
    So let me get this straight... Keeping in mind I dont have a degree in marketing and am an owner and proponent of the platform. You want hourly workers to educate themselves, or have the carrier pay to train them, on a platform with less that 3% market share. WOW-wee. Makes sense to me. The dill-holes selling the phones are, themselves, isheep and fandroids. What else do you expect them to shill to know-nothings walking into the store?! Yes, the [platform] sucks people need to be fired, period. But they are sales people, and lets face it, our stuff doesnt sell. AT&T is a business, first and foremost. I blame the lack of market share on MS solely. If they gave the retailers the same incentives as crApple and Samsung, it would be different. Despite the "mobile first" hoo-ha, its obvious their attention is elsewhere. So, until then, dont go into a store and harass an employee whos job it is to sell phones and not EDUCATE the general public. I would love nothing more than to get to a solid 10-12% market share, but MS controls that. Yes, they do, dont even try to argue they dont. If you dont advertise a product, get it into the hands of celebs that the typical consumer mimics, we are <3%. And it seems their goal is to go after businesses, which is actually ok because they mostly use MS products. A PC in your pocket.... may decrease laptop sales a bit but would be great for the market share. This whole thread is turning into the typical "chicken and egg" discussion. The phones dont sell because the ones selling phones dont sell them. The phones dont sell because the ones making the phones dont promote them.
    I believe you missed the point. It IS their JOB to be educated. If they are selling something, they need to be knowledgeable about it or simply don't carry it. To carry something and not know nothing about it...that's called POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.
    Maybe the store managers need to be more involved in training or whatever the case maybe, but simply put, there is no excuse, you carry it, you need to know about it.
    wpguy, to_be_announced and ajj3085 like this.
    11-24-2015 03:22 AM
    Went into a corporate AT&T store to ask about the 950 a couple of days before it came out. There was no demo, no poster, nothing. I asked an employee. He knew nothing about it but asked the manager. The manager said to me, "I'm not sure when we'll get them. Doesn't really matter though. Nobody buys Windows Phones because they're garbage."

And that's not an isolated incident. I've heard similar things from service reps at stores for AT&T and Verizon literally for YEARS.

Windows Phone is dead.
    11-24-2015 07:47 AM
    I am off contract with ATT. Thank God! I ordered an unlocked 950XL a week ago. What plan should I switch to at ATT? Or T-Mobile? Or an somewhere else?
    If they both have the coverage you need, I would (and did) go with T-Mobile. They are cheaper than AT&T and I didn't see any offseting reason to use AT&T unless it would be coverage. Since the best value from either is no-contract, its simple to switch if what you pick first doesn't work. The plan I have now is $24.xx per person for unlimited voice, text and data but only 2.5GB per person is LTE. That's for 6 lines but I think the break down is: $50 for 1st, $30 for second and $10 for the others (before taxes). The 24.xx average is after taxes. They have options of 6 or 10GB LTE per line as well OR and you can add extra roll over LTE data per individual line.

T-Mobile seems to be the innovator at present and with the other carriers eventually doing something to try to match their moves. T-Mobile, for instance, has let you stream music from most major services without it counting toward your high speed data. They just announce Binge which does the same for video (but with downscaling).

For customers with weak signal in parts of their home, they provide free equipment to alleviate that. I got an almost $200 ASUS AC router for free (goes back if I leave T-Mobile) but I didn't need it for coverage. They may be handing out cheaper solutions now that are in essence a mini-tower that connects to their network over your home internet. That's actually better for factory unlocked phones if you need it because WiFi calling doesn't work with many factory unlocked phones - waiting to see about the 950s; they have WiFi calling built-in but I don't know if T-Mobile blocks that or uses their own proprietary method.

With the MVNOs (StraightTalk, Cricket, etc.) make sure you get everything you need. They usually have similar speeds, but not always, and they invariably cut costs with things like VVM, roaming fees, etc. But they also are no contract so its no big deal to jump ship if you didn't realize a shortcoming until after the fact.
    Last edited by HoosierDaddy; 11-25-2015 at 07:43 AM.
    jmajid and libra89 like this.
    11-24-2015 07:51 AM
    Well, let's face it: after five years of failing to get much progress in market share, I think we can safely say that's not going to happen.
    11-24-2015 07:53 AM
    pay full price, buy an unlocked phone, and go to straighttalk.

it's $45 / month, uses the same towers as ATT/TMO/VW, with exactly the same coverage/speeds.
    11-24-2015 08:13 AM
    Unfortunately, AT&T sales people have never promoted a nokia/msft phone, on contrary, they discouraged people to buy them. It happen several times. One time I wanted to switch from Sprint just because of the windows phone and I was discouraged by their salespeople.
    Titaniumgiant likes this.
    11-24-2015 11:21 AM
    Unfortunately, AT&T sales people have never promoted a nokia/msft phone, on contrary, they discouraged people to buy them. It happen several times. One time I wanted to switch from Sprint just because of the windows phone and I was discouraged by their salespeople.
    I am not surprised. I was VZW corporate sales for 3 years and a Motorola Rep for 3. Sales reps sell what is easy and incentivised by the manufacture. Myself and many reps would push exclusively whichever manufacture had the best spiff plan that month. When I was on the other side and rep'd for Motorola my best months were always the ones during our spiff competitions.

FWIW: I don't remember a single sales competition for windows phones over my 6 years in wireless. MS needs to pay up and it will help somewhat.
    11-24-2015 11:40 AM
    Visited my local AT&T shop to glimpse at the 950. I walked in and asked if they have it on display and I kid you not, the employee pointed without looking up to the corner of the store that gets little to no foot traffic. Practically dumbfounded by this. If I was MS I would have stipulated to AT&T that since you're the only carrier in the States we are allowing to sell this phone with a contract, that you at the bare minimum make it more noticeable in the stores and train the workers bees to be knowledgeable about the device.
    11-24-2015 12:00 PM
    What a load of bull. Business is business, if you promote your business correctly then you have a good chance of success. Fill it with uninterested people then you have a bigger chance to fail. If that was my business all employees would know everything about all products that we sell. This is a business not a kindergarten.
    William Sanderson and wpguy like this.
    11-24-2015 12:02 PM
    I am not surprised. I was VZW corporate sales for 3 years and a Motorola Rep for 3. Sales reps sell what is easy and incentivised by the manufacture. Myself and many reps would push exclusively whichever manufacture had the best spiff plan that month. When I was on the other side and rep'd for Motorola my best months were always the ones during our spiff competitions.

FWIW: I don't remember a single sales competition for windows phones over my 6 years in wireless. MS needs to pay up and it will help somewhat.
    ^^ This. Why else would they push Apple/Samsung over everybody else? They're doing what makes them more money. Throwing out imaginary numbers here: If you make $50 for selling an iPhone, and $30 for selling a Lumia, which are you going to push? The carrier themselves likely only cares about selling a plan, and getting you to use as much data as possible. Of course, I'm sure Apple and Samsung are the best at making you burn through data. But that's besides the point. If a rep simply didn't like the OS, what does he/she care if you're the one using it? They don't. They care because they will personally make more if you buy an iPhone.

And regardless of how bad AT&T can be with WP phones, they will never be as bad as Verizon is regarding WP. They demanded exclusivity with the Icon, pushed people away from buying it (personal experience!), then killed it off under a year. The 930 would've been a great phone for AT&T, but no Verizon had to be jerks.

And shame on MS for allowing it, all phones should be on all carriers if they want to sell more. And surely they know how Apple and Samsung push the reps to sell their phones. It amounts to extortion, IMO, but they make a ton more money doing it, so I suppose it pays off in the end.
    11-24-2015 12:43 PM
    ^^ This. Why else would they push Apple/Samsung over everybody else? They're doing what makes them more money. Throwing out imaginary numbers here: If you make $50 for selling an iPhone, and $30 for selling a Lumia, which are you going to push?
    But it's not just how much they make on a sale. It's how may sales they can make and the percent of successes.

The lionesses definitely focuses on the slowest prey. Same with phone sales. Remember people who will buy an Android or iPhone are "slower" and easier to take down.

But seriously, becoming an expert on WPs will close fewer sales than being an expert on iPhones. Plus a much higher percent of walk-ins are already thinking iPhone or Android.
    11-24-2015 12:53 PM
    My standard advice is to try the non-corporate stores. I've had good experiences at the third party stores...
    11-24-2015 01:08 PM
    And shame on MS for allowing it...
    To be fair, Microsoft inherited Nokia's agreements with US carriers. By most accounts there was an antagonism there that festered for years. So far as I can tell up through 640/XL that was playing out.

Now we have a new dynamic with Microsoft driven negotiations. Here is my take on what probably happened...

AT&T: "Sure we can work with that distribution model. We have many ATT and Cricket customers using your platform and we want to offer them something."

T-Mobile: "Yeah yeah, just dump some budget model with us and we'll sit on updates. We want to appear consumer friendly while sticking 'em in the back end."

Verizon: "How dare you? We are the mighty red Vzw. Tremble before us, you puny mortals, and weep tears of blood."

Sprint: "Guys? Guys? There's no seat here for me? Guys? Why are you closing the door on me? Looks like the meeting started without me..."

All conjecture on my part.
    HotFix, libra89, wpguy and 1 others like this.
    11-24-2015 01:37 PM
    All conjecture on my part.
    And probably no more reliable than if I drop a rock it will fall.
    11-24-2015 02:09 PM
    Windows Phone will never be able to succeed with a partner like AT&T.

I've never owned a mobile phone that wasn't a Windows OS, but after today I'm convinced MS is doomed for failure with these. The 950 was released to market, in the US being limited to AT&T, last Friday. This should be a big deal for any company that has any concept of marketing and customer sales. About 2:00 pm I strolled over to the AT&T store in downtown Boston. They never heard of the phone, had no display information, and of course had no phones in the store and had no idea when they would. This was on "release" day.

So, 4 days later, today, Nov. 24, I strolled back over at noon. I was the only customer in the store with 4 salespeople. Three of them didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for the 950. The one person who knew took me over to the corner of the store where a 950 was on display, without any signage or even a card identifying what phone it was. Nothing. Of course, they had no phones to sell, and had no idea when they would get any phones to sell. This is the AT&T store in Downtown Crossing in Boston, a major business and pedestrian way. Shocking to me, another customer came in also looking for the 950 while I was there, he was also ready to buy.

Can you imagine any other company treating their release of a new "flagship" phone this way? I just don't get it at all. It's as if MS wants to fail. I think they're going to get their wish.
    11-24-2015 02:20 PM
    What do you expect from people who make diddly squat and could honestly care less?

Its like people whining about going to McDonalds and the person taking their order not offering to go over the items on the menu.

You want a better experience? Go to a Microsoft store where the people are educated and (should at least) care about the products they are selling.
    11-24-2015 02:32 PM
141 ... 23456