AT&T Sales Staff Not Helping

anon(8532178)

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Frankly, I think the bigger issue with these sales reps is one of "disparagement". Loooooooong time ago, 20 some years, I worked for Circuit City in sales, and a HUGE no no was talking badly about ANY product sold in the store. You would try and explain benefits of one over another, why something may not be right for needs, creative type things, but NEVER say "that sucks" or "nobody buys that" or anything similar. It was considered, look, we sell this product, we don't want to **** off the manufacturer. I don't get why this is tolerated now in these stores. We could actually get fired back then for saying similar things about any product sold in the store.

Oh man Circuit City lol memories.

Will Gilliland

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
So let me get this straight... Keeping in mind I dont have a degree in marketing and am an owner and proponent of the platform. You want hourly workers to educate themselves, or have the carrier pay to train them, on a platform with less that 3% market share. WOW-wee. Makes sense to me. The dill-holes selling the phones are, themselves, isheep and fandroids. What else do you expect them to shill to know-nothings walking into the store?! Yes, the [platform] sucks people need to be fired, period. But they are sales people, and lets face it, our stuff doesnt sell. AT&T is a business, first and foremost. I blame the lack of market share on MS solely. If they gave the retailers the same incentives as crApple and Samsung, it would be different. Despite the "mobile first" hoo-ha, its obvious their attention is elsewhere. So, until then, dont go into a store and harass an employee whos job it is to sell phones and not EDUCATE the general public. I would love nothing more than to get to a solid 10-12% market share, but MS controls that. Yes, they do, dont even try to argue they dont. If you dont advertise a product, get it into the hands of celebs that the typical consumer mimics, we are <3%. And it seems their goal is to go after businesses, which is actually ok because they mostly use MS products. A PC in your pocket.... may decrease laptop sales a bit but would be great for the market share. This whole thread is turning into the typical "chicken and egg" discussion. The phones dont sell because the ones selling phones dont sell them. The phones dont sell because the ones making the phones dont promote them.
I also don't have a marketing degree, but as a consumer, I want my salesperson to be educated about EVERY product in the AT&T store. This isn't a huge store. They don't have THAT many phones. How much of a mind-numb robot have salespeople become if they don't care about what they sell? You say it's their job to sell phones and NOT to educate customers. WHAT?! What they *(&(*& do I need a sales associate for? I'd rather have an AT&T phone vending machine.

To your point of "selling phones", educating yourself and being impartial would improve your sales. Do you think Windows Mobile users want to buy from iBots or Droids? These "phone sellers" just lost out on a sale due to their ecosystem bigotry.

jprose30

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Went to the AT&T store in Northern California Friday afternoon, 11/20, and asked the salesperson if he had any of the Lumia 950 in. His response, "The what?" When I told him that Microsoft's new phone came out today, he was befuddled, but was willing to go look and see if he had it in stock. Came back out with a box that had "display" written on it. "Oh, we were supposed to set this up this morning, but I guess we haven't gotten around to it." It was 6:00pm. After I explained all of the interesting features of the phone to him, he seemed to be impressed, but not enough to set up the display. When I was done looking, the box went back into the stock room. Luckily, they had two phones for purchase in stock. I was, apparently, the only person to ask about the phone all day. When I said that I wanted to buy it, he replied, "Really? But they have no apps..."

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Except that they do push the phones they want to, like iPhones and Galaxies. I wouldn't care that they're not pushing them, but On T-mo when the 925 came out everyone I know that got one had to argue with the sales person because they were insisting that we were buying junk and we should get an iPhone instead. I had to threaten to leave to get them to shut up and sell me a phone.

Maybe the answer is, when the rep insists you buy an iPhone or Galaxy with the newest number tacked on the end...

Insist they buy you the phone they want you to have out of their own pocket. Otherwise, since you are the one paying you should be given what you want without all the grief.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Went to the AT&T store in Northern California Friday afternoon, 11/20, and asked the salesperson if he had any of the Lumia 950 in. His response, "The what?" When I told him that Microsoft's new phone came out today, he was befuddled, but was willing to go look and see if he had it in stock. Came back out with a box that had "display" written on it. "Oh, we were supposed to set this up this morning, but I guess we haven't gotten around to it." It was 6:00pm. After I explained all of the interesting features of the phone to him, he seemed to be impressed, but not enough to set up the display. When I was done looking, the box went back into the stock room. Luckily, they had two phones for purchase in stock. I was, apparently, the only person to ask about the phone all day. When I said that I wanted to buy it, he replied, "Really? But they have no apps..."

"They have no apps"? That is a blatant lie. Or maybe just plain ignorance.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T store has a display unit but the screen is cracked. I asked, "how can the screen already be cracked on a phone that's only been on display for one day?" He told me, "Oh, I did that. When I was installing the anti-theft device I cracked it." I didn't bother to even ask why he didn't get another phone and send that one back...

Not going to sell well if the display unit already looks like a car ran it over.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Maybe the answer is, when the rep insists you buy an iPhone or Galaxy with the newest number tacked on the end...

Insist they buy you the phone they want you to have out of their own pocket. Otherwise, since you are the one paying you should be given what you want without all the grief.

It's like they are afraid Windows will gain market share.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T store has a display unit but the screen is cracked. I asked, "how can the screen already be cracked on a phone that's only been on display for one day?" He told me, "Oh, I did that. When I was installing the anti-theft device I cracked it." I didn't bother to even ask why he didn't get another phone and send that one back...

Not going to sell well if the display unit already looks like a car ran it over.

That does need to be reported up the corporate ladder...

cincykid76

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
My encounter at a local ATT store was quite different from my past dealings in relation to Windows phones. They were quite busy and we just wanted to play with the device and get a hands on feel for it. As we shuffled around folks in the crowded store ( not big at all not a huge town) we were intercepted by an employee asking if we needed help. We told him what we were there for and he took us to the phone straight away. He seemed like he might be somewhat versed as he asked if we had any questions, and I said no, today was just about checking it out and we already own 8.1 phones. It was set up right next to the new Crapple device ( not sure if that's good or bad). I flagged him down once just to ask him about color availability and if they would carry the MOZO . He said unfortunately no although they had other cases and both black and white variants were in stock. I also asked about Hello feature and he wasn't sure how to activate or test it with the display device. Overall, not a bad experience , especially compared to my past Window experiences in this same store.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Picked up a 950 last night at an AT&T store. Having never seen the phone in person before I looked at their display model (displayed as the 950, with 950 spec sheet) and I thought, "Wow this is huge!".

It wasn't until we unboxed (in the store) our new 950 that we realized they actually had a 950 XL on display instead of a 950. Not even the sales staff realized it.

Isn't AT&T the only carrier in U.S. that has the 950? And this is the best MS and AT&T can do? lol

On the brightside, a different store we called when checking for availability, the guy was SUPER excited for the new Lumia's. Although I would say maybe the initial experience I described above is unique, based on this forum thread it seems it's the opposite, and instead finding an enthusiastic Lumia/Windows Phone salesperson is actually extremely unique.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Picked up a 950 last night at an AT&T store. Having never seen the phone in person before I looked at their display model (displayed as the 950, with 950 spec sheet) and I thought, "Wow this is huge!".

It wasn't until we unboxed (in the store) our new 950 that we realized they actually had a 950 XL on display instead of a 950. Not even the sales staff realized it.

Isn't AT&T the only carrier in U.S. that has the 950? And this is the best MS and AT&T can do? lol

On the brightside, a different store we called when checking for availability, the guy was SUPER excited for the new Lumia's. Although I would say maybe the initial experience I described above is unique, based on this forum thread it seems it's the opposite, and instead finding an enthusiastic Lumia/Windows Phone salesperson is actually extremely unique.
That was most likely the 640XL, as AT&T won't be carrying the 950XL anytime soon if ever.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
That was most likely the 640XL, as AT&T won't be carrying the 950XL anytime soon if ever.

If that's the case, well that's still bad!

I didn't verify in the system settings of the display, so I can't be 100%. I'm also not at all familiar with the 640XL. Does the 640XL have rounded corners? The display '950' had rounded edges.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, mine has the 640XL on display too and the staff had to go verify what it was. It looks similar enough to the 950 line

jbestman

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what developed nation markets are thinking. I thought we live in a free market where anything sells and can be bought? It looks like it works a whole lot better in developing nations rather than developed nations. No wonder Nokia/MS smartphone share in Kenya is 15% or higher (based on my daily observances in public transport and tech events)

I think the fact that MS smartphones are dirt cheap might play a role in that.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had really good and some pretty crummy in-store dealings with at&t sales staff. With that in mind, I went to my local at&t store today around lunch. I was going to pick up a 950. It turned out to be a fail on my part, I had forgotten my wallet, so they couldn't start a transaction without a photo ID. The guy there was cool, he seemed bummed, but was happy to walk me to the display unit, which was working properly and looked good. He didn't talk down on Microsoft or Lumia, nor did he try to steer me toward another phone.

TheTruQ

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
In all seriousness, this is really good news. One of the few positive experiences we've encountered when it comes to a Windows Phone purchase.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
On T-mo when the 925 came out everyone I know that got one had to argue with the sales person because they were insisting that we were buying junk and we should get an iPhone instead. I had to threaten to leave to get them to shut up and sell me a phone.

Thank goodness that wasn't my experience with I got the 925 at a local T-Mo. I knew what I wanted. I walked in and:
Sales lady: "Hi! Can I help you with anything?"
Me: "I hope so. I want to buy a Nokia Lumia 925."
Sales lady: "Ok. Let me see if we have any in stock" ----- ......------ "Yes we do." (and she brought it out)
Me: "Great. I'll take it"

..... she then said she'd take the SIM out of my Lumia 521 and insert it in the new phone for me .. and she did. She asked if I would like a screen protector and I did ---- she put it on for me.

It was very pleasant hassle-free experience for me.

Last edited:

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if Microsoft actually pays AT&T to carry Windows Phones, but it fits right in with all the other "facts" thrown around here. :angel:

Still, they did agree to carry the phone, so they should put as much effort as any other phone they sell. At the very least not having their employees deride it seems the professional thing to do.

trooper11

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Its interesting to see some so quick to defend what amounts to poor customer service. It does sound like things are getting better though, many positive experiences have been mentioned. Its also good to hear that AT&T is training stores on these phones by bringing in a rep to demo the experiences.

Look, I get that MS has to market their phones as part of the larger strategy to promote the product, but how in the world does that excuse AT&T employees that treat customers when it comes to Windows? AT&T employees are not expected to be knowledgeable about the products they sale and actually be helpful when selling a phone that someone is clearly interested in?

This idea that because Windows has a 3% marketshare, AT&T employees shouldn't know anything about the phones and shouldn't be able to help a customer that wants to buy one. Regardless of marketshare, AT&T is selling Windows phones. Do we think AT&T is cool with a whole bunch of inventory sitting there collecting dust because their employees cant talk about the product? AT&T is all about selling service. They really don't give a crap if its an iPhone or a Windows phone as long as the customer is paying for service. Why else carry a Windows phone in the first place if you don't intend for your employees to sell it?

Its one thing to point out the reality that most people working at these stores are already married to a phone brand, so its going to be hard to motivate them to care about any other phone, but that doesn't mean they cant have a basic knowledge in order to help someone buy any phone they sell at the store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99