AT&T Sales Staff Not Helping

edchair

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Stopped at AT&T to check out Lumia 950. None on display. Had to ask two salespersons before being told they had two in the boxes in the storeroom. Won't sell many handsets that way. Microsoft needs to get AT&T engaged.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I had the same experience at my local AT&T store. I walked in and asked about the 950, and the guy behind the counter, without looking up from the iPad he was working on, muttered something along the lines of "we don't have the display units in yet". This was yesterday on the 20th.

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Yea, AT&T staff do not have a wide knowledge on all the phones they have in stock. They know only Apple and Samsung and a few other Android phones. I went to three local stores and none of the staff knew anything about the 950 or the new Blackberry Priv. I had to educate them about the 950 specs and features...now that is sad. The guys at the Microsoft store are knowledgeable...that is where I would buy a unlock no att version that is cheaper after 11/26/2015 . When I mentioned the rumored Surface Phone to the MS guys they looked funny and said we have never heard of a Surface phone. I know they are on gag order so that can sale 950's. It was funny tho...

RuleOfSines

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have kind of mixed feelings about this, the AT&T I went to was the same way. The Reps knew about the 950, but didn't have any promotional material or even a working demo unit.

However, with Windows 10 Mobile being the way it is I imagine this would not be a good way to get people who aren't already windows mobile fans started. I'm glad they made this phone, but it really seems geared to those of us who are already fans of the OS. Maybe once it is a bit cleaner they will push it more. I'm used to the quirks and bugs from using the insider preview on my 640, and this has all the same bugs on it.

boneycat

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Just got back from AT&T store here in the Bay Area and same thing. No display unit and none in stock. There was another person in there asking for it as well. The salesperson was helpful and even offered that the L635 sells very well due to its low price, mostly to kids. If we can get more kids using it the better. They grow up being WP users!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have kind of mixed feelings about this, the AT&T I went to was the same way. The Reps knew about the 950, but didn't have any promotional material or even a working demo unit.

However, with Windows 10 Mobile being the way it is I imagine this would not be a good way to get people who aren't already windows mobile fans started.
True. Sometimes I think AT&T and Microsoft should refuse to show the phone to anyone who doesn't have another Windows phone running a preview release in their possession. Seriously.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
My local store, an hour out from Vegas, won't have them in till Monday the earliest. They didn't even have a dummy phone. I went looking for a case and the salesperson seemed excited and wanted to know how I liked it so far. The manager there still rocks a 1020.

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My rep sold me one with no issues, but after activation he just gave it to me and said "you're the Windows guru I don't know anything about those" and went on to the next customer. It was kind of abrupt, but I suppose suffice.

jpburr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I went yesterday to trade in my 830 for a 950. They did have a display unit which is something.

Unfortunately when I spoke to the first rep and showed her my 830 she said. "Oh You're a Windows guy. I hate Windows Phone". She also somehow brought up my wife's 4 month old Moto G when checking the upgrade status and said I would have to pay $180 to upgrade.

I had to wait a little after that but I got a much more helpful rep who was actually positive about the phone talking about how MS had come and demoed some cool stuff. She got everything set up for the upgrade but when she went to get the phone she found they didn't have any in stock on launch day.

Ended up placing an online order which I could have done days ago. Just figured it would be quicker to grab a unit form the store.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
The store I deal with, I only talk to one sales guy there. He didn't know anything about the 950 when I first went in 2 weeks ago, so I was telling him all about it. On Wed I texted him and asked him a question. He answered, but followed it up with "but I haven't heard anything about them yet." I just texted him back "you will. They go on sale Friday, so you'll be receiving them today or tomorrow."

4 hours later, he texted me back and wanted to know how many I wanted. He set aside 4 for me. I made an appointment to pick them up at 10AM Friday.

On Friday, when the doors opened, I was the 3rd one through the door. The guy in front of me wanted 2 of the 950s, but they had only shipped the store 5 total units. Soooo.... My AT&T store launched the 950 on Friday at 10AM (when the store opened) and sold out at 10:02AM.

Sadly, the guy I deal with is a 1 of a kind. While we were there picking up the phones, I overheard one of the other reps telling a customer " Yeah, if it's not an iPhone, don't even bother. Every other phone is complete garbage. Only the iPhone is good. "

augustin25

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I was at a.corporate store in Mountain View today. They have the display dock on display next to the Surface 3, signage for the 950, a price tag for the 950, but no display unit. The manager said they haven't put it out yet but they have six in stock.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I was at a.corporate store in Mountain View today. They have the display dock on display next to the Surface 3, signage for the 950, a price tag for the 950, but no display unit. The manager said they haven't put it out yet but they have six in stock.

That the one on Grant? Thinking of going to Westgate one, that used to be their regional office

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes, yes, yes. One employee adjustment could mean dozens of new WM users over time.

Not one employee, I'm talking about retraining everybody at the store so they don't push Android and iPhone down people's throats. People that are on contract with AT&T don't pay the money and go to the stores so that they can get suggested the phone that they don't want, we go there because most of us don't like waiting for things to be shipped so we buy it there and then. Going to the AT&T store sometimes feels like going to buy used to car, I know the reps need to make their quota to get paid but you can do that by letting their customers actually choose what they want.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I went to two stores here. The first is a newer store in our mall. They have a mix of live demo units and dummy phones. The 950 was out there, but it was a dummy. I wanted to try the thing a bit, and so I went to our corporate store. They had a working 950 demo unit. Got a decent feel for it, and it's a fine device. I still think my aim will be a 950 XL and Display Dock (which is about $130 cheaper than going with the 950 and Display Dock on AT&T for me). I'll have to debate if I want the 950 or XL (well, I know I want the XL, but nor sure about the added $100 and heft for travel).

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Went to the local AT&T store yesterday (N of Charlotte) and looked at the 950, it was as big as an iPhone 6+, and it had W8.1 on it, so I grabbed the one next to it with the label Nokia 650XL and viola! it had W10M and continuum on it.

I told a sales rep nearby that the two phones were mismatched to their data cards and he laughed and said they noticed it this morning. it was 2:30 pm and they didn't think it was important enough to correct. The manager was there as well, he introduced himself to me when I arrived but was with a customer so I did not interrupt him.

Think I'm going to the Microsoft store when I get one. I want the 950, not the XL so when will Microsoft have it at their stores? BTW, I like the idea of a non-branded phone for once, but I really want a x86 phone LOL!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3