AT&T Sales Staff Not Helping

AtlantaMike

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I bought my Lumia 950 at a corporate AT&T store this weekend. It was front and center, on the very first table as you walk in, across from the Galaxy phones and next to a Surface. I didn't notice any signs or banners for it, partially because I quit looking when I ran into it. When it was my turn to get helped, I told the rep I wanted a white one and she went and got one from the back. She was very pleasant and helpful, and never tried to "bash" Windows Phone or sell me something else, although she implied that she didn't know that much about it relative to Android and iPhones. While waiting on my backup to process, she mentioned that a Microsoft rep had been by to show them about the phone. She also mentioned that I was the first Lumia 950 she's sold. She was very friendly and I really had no problems. My previous Windows Phone buying experience, at a different corporate store, was also fine. It probably skews things that I had already done my homework and had no questions.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
What do you expect from people who make diddly squat and could honestly care less?

Its like people whining about going to McDonalds and the person taking their order not offering to go over the items on the menu.

You want a better experience? Go to a Microsoft store where the people are educated and (should at least) care about the products they are selling.
That's really a nonsense argument. I'm going to spend $600 on a "flagship" phone, yes, the single company that is selling it should be marketing and promoting it with knowledgeable staff. They should be providing a customer service. This isn't a $2.99 burger (or whatever they cost at McDonalds). And if I'm MS, and I want this new flagship product to succeed, I want my premier and only partner to give a damn, and market and sell the product. At least that's what a normal business would want. Heck, if I were to go to McDonalds I'm confident I will walk out with my burger. I've made 2 trips to the AT&T store since the 950 was released and still haven't been able to make a purchase. Ridiculous.

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Similar instance in a major NJ store. They had a 950 sitting without signage and no internet connection. This was the second trip for me to see the phone. The last trip had the phone display but no charge on the phone Today I walked out and went next door to the BB. I picked up a 640 as a holdover to the anticipated Surface Phone. Even if it's a year the 640 is a very livable phone. The salesperson at BB matched the Black Friday price of $30. The manager overrode the price without a problem. Very happy with that. Not happy with ATTs weak attempt at trying to sell this phone.

AbstractKiller

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
It's not just AT&T in US - I've always had the same experience for all past Lumia phones. Three were particularly bad - I actually got a credit to my account after raising a formal complaint to their customer services.

When upgrading from my Nokia N8 the sales teams tried to block me from getting the L920 at all costs - pushing every other phone on me first and directly telling me I didn't want one. Had similar experience when buying the L735 in-store as a 'temporary' stop-gap when I accidentally smashed my screen earlier this year... (waiting for the L950, but not yet convinced it's the phone for me)

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've heard that good carrier sales reps can make $50-65 K a year. Most of that comes from sales bounties paid by Apple and Samsung.

The game is rigged.

If that's the case, then it should be a simple matter for Microsoft to get in the game. They have deep pockets; they can afford to pay SPIFFs out the wazoo if that is what it takes.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
This is why I have ALWAYS bought my Windows Phones over the Internet and activated them myself. Can't stand the idiots at Verizon who don't know squat about Windows Phones or act like you're some kind of ***** for wanting one.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If that's the case, then it should be a simple matter for Microsoft to get in the game. They have deep pockets; they can afford to pay SPIFFs out the wazoo if that is what it takes.

Except that's anti-consumer interest.

I'd rather see anti trust filed. The game is crooked and the money should be halted. Apple and Samsung should pay all American consumers for deceiving them.

Marekt77

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
Hey All,

I was at my Local T-Mobile shop in Chicago trying to get their Personal Cell Spot device. Anyways while the rep was looking things up on my account and waiting for something from corporate on my account he asked about my phone. I presently have a Nokia 1520.

He was like, oh that a Windows Phone? I responded yeah it was. He asked how I liked it, I once you get used to it, it's much easier than iOS and Android. He replied, yeah but they have no apps. I replied, yes they are missing some, but most of the majors are there, and for things like Tinder, there is an stand in app called 6Tin that is arguably better than the actual Tinder App. His reply, Really? I never knew that. I showed him the app and he was impressed by how nice it ran and looked. I told him that developer has made a whole series of apps for WP for the popular social apps and sometimes they are better than the originals.

Anyways, my point is this, I am not sure what the MS reps tell these Sales Associates, if more of them knew about 6tin and the like, the App Gap doesn't seem so bad.

His interest was peaked, so I told him some of the other unique features of the phone, and at the end his reply was: "I guess they are not as sh*tty as everyone makes them out to be..."

If I were MS I would setup huge displays in these stores to showcase Continuum and Office. It's the one stand out feature they have now. Its cool to see running and it gets people talking.

But I'm thinking they are saving the big push for the Surface Phone. WM10 still doesn't feel right for prime time, so no need to make a big push. But when the Surface Phone comes out and they can show that you can run Photoshop on your phone, that will make some waves.

Also since the Surface is so well received and dare say respected, a Surface Phone should by its name alone get some instant street cred.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what developed nation markets are thinking. I thought we live in a free market where anything sells and can be bought? It looks like it works a whole lot better in developing nations rather than developed nations. No wonder Nokia/MS smartphone share in Kenya is 15% or higher (based on my daily observances in public transport and tech events)

That's where you've gone wrong, here in the US we don't believe in free markets anymore. Generally our markets are so congested with regulation that drives the cost of entry up, which makes it hard for new competitors to arise.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Except that's anti-consumer interest.

I'd rather see anti trust filed. The game is crooked and the money should be halted. Apple and Samsung should pay all American consumers for deceiving them.

Apple and Samsung are deceiving nobody. Nobody is being forced to buy anything they do not want. As far as I know most of them are happy, and return for more when it's time for an upgrade. A recent report says that 82% of Android users and 73% of iOS users upgrade to a new device of the same OS. Compare that to Windows Phone, where 20% of its users upgrade to another Windows Phone.

Who is being deceived here?

Last edited by a moderator:

Edmund Burke

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
This is my experience in the UK too. I was not hopeful after reading this site, but all the staff seemed to know it was on the way. Also I have always found the store staff to be very positive about windows phone here in the UK. My opening gambit is always do many people change and what do they think. The change from iOS to windows seems to be the strangest, but decreasingly so, or maybe I just ask different staff.

It makes me sad that the USA seems to be willing the destruction of one of its most successful exports.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...Who is being deceived here?

Who is being deceived? Every consumer that walked in and got steered to a model and told "this is the best phone for your needs" when the reality is "this is the phone that pays me when you buy it."

For it not to be deceptive the reps would have to be up front and honest. How many products would they sell if they told customers the truth? "Any one of these 3 phones gives me a bonus when you buy it so no matter what you say, those are the only phones I'll be pleased to see you with."

Last edited:

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
ah tmobile. where the online reps say one thing and another rep says another thing. i was told i could only have my galaxy s6 replaced by mail. having it replaced again today cause of video noise issues and i was told i could go to the store. i said i can do that? i was told by mail only the first time. he took a 10 minute pause and told me to call customer service. im like really? the first rep did it through live chat.

oh right currently waiting for 950xl to come to the store so i can dump this samsung to someone else.
never used a windows phone before so i have been doing some reading. app gap i am expecting, expecting some bugs too. happens with all phones, heck im having my galaxy s6 replaced a second time, video noise and back button spamming like crazy

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
When I went to the AT&T store for help, I found only 1 or 2 of the staff was familiar with the
Windows phone, the rest only knew I phone or Android. Calling on the phone for help it would
be hit or miss on finding someone to help you. I imagine Tmobile would be the same, the best
bet, you need to go to a t-mobile store for help.

tanders04#WN

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Who is being deceived? Every consumer that walked in and got steered to a model and told "this is the best phone for your needs" when the reality is "this is the phone that pays me when you buy it."

For it not to be deceptive the reps would have to be up front and honest. How many products would they sell if they told customers the truth? "Any one of these 3 phones gives me a bonus when you buy it so no matter what you say, those are the only phones I'll be pleased to see you with."

I imagine it would be exactly the same. I really think you are looking for a explanation for something that isn't there. Can you 100% tell me that they are actively getting spiffs on those products right now? Based on my experience I'd say that right now they're getting spiffs (or some metric) on direct TV tie ins, home security, and plenti. Those are the things the hit in a script on the end, those are the things they're handing me their card for.

Lets be honest, windows phone's problems start well before the door of an AT&T store. That is what is going to inform the reps and the consumers regardless of fancy displays, spiffs, or anything else. How MS addresses that is anyone's guess at this point, but a literal federal case isn't the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

tweet2nowhere

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
They need the XBOX marketing team to handle Windows Phone. I see their commercials all of the time.

Also, a thought occurred to me yesterday when I forgot to skip past commercials. Star Wars Movie. In my mind, every dollar spent on Star Wars advertisement is a waste. Why spend money on advertising a new Star Wars movie? Disney can rest assured that the movie is going to make tons of money without all of the TV spots, talk show tie ins, etc. BUT they still do it. And my kids, after watching the trailer last night, woke up and wanted to play Lego Star Wars when they woke up this morning.

Microsoft seems to believe "If you build it, they will come" but reality says people need a little brain washing.

Long of the point is, waiting to advertise till they have a perfect device is just plain stupid. Advertise, Advertise, Brainwash, Brainwash. Then people will want it and won't know why or care about a few apps. Forget this subliminal product placement garbage. Real "BUY ME!" advertising is needed.

Thorgal Aegirsson

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
True. Sometimes I think AT&T and Microsoft should refuse to show the phone to anyone who doesn't have another Windows phone running a preview release in their possession. Seriously.

Well, that way you should say the same about Surface Pro 4 or Surface Book. They are full of glitches and bugs as well. And yet people buy it. For some reason

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
This is why I have ALWAYS bought my Windows Phones over the Internet and activated them myself. Can't stand the idiots at Verizon who don't know squat about Windows Phones or act like you're some kind of ***** for wanting one.
Unfortunately I've similar experiences at both AT&T and Verizon stores. They both suck when it comes to WP.

Nick Metro

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same experience at a store in NJ on Friday, no label or signage, dead battery and the screen was scratched. Agree on the 640, very livable phone. I bought one for my son and he has none of the issues I have with my 830 (freezing, random reboots). $30 for that phone is a steal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99