I was able to order an Unlocked Black Lumia 950 from the Microsoft Store on the phone 11-17-15. I also received a discount off of the listed price of $549.00 of 10% for being a Veteran of the Armed Forces.

Please do not quote me, but I seem to remember while making my order that they have a discount for College Students as well. Please verify this with Microsoft Store via the phone to make sure!
    Last edited by William Sanderson; 11-21-2015 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Add information about discounts
    libra89, dalydose and TLRtheory like this.
    11-21-2015 10:47 PM
    I also received a discount off of the listed price of $549.00 of 10% for being a Veteran of the Armed Forces.
    Hmmm., I thought that was only for active duty military. Nice.
    11-22-2015 05:32 AM
    Maybe I'll try to see if I can pull off a preorder over the phone too. It doesn't seem they plan on opening up site preorders until (possibly) seconds before the phone releases.
    11-22-2015 05:36 AM
    I made it clear to the representative that I was retired military before purchasing. I want to always give respect to Veterans active or otherwise.
    11-22-2015 08:10 AM
    Maybe I'll try to see if I can pull off a preorder over the phone too. It doesn't seem they plan on opening up site preorders until (possibly) seconds before the phone releases.
    Like I said I made my pre-order on the phone on the 17th. You need to get the right person that knows the right way to set it up. One note is that the unlocked phones are now on backorder until? So, if you pre-order now you will be further up the line to get a phone when they are back in stock.
    11-22-2015 09:55 AM
    No, there is a 5% discount for veterans. Bring your DD-214 or retired badge.
    dalydose likes this.
    11-22-2015 10:04 AM
    No, there is a 5% discount for veterans. Bring your DD-214 or retired badge.
    Sorry that is not correct, I got a 10% discount over the phone. Discount for the Unlocked Lumia 950 was $54.90 for a cost of $494.10 plus tax.
    11-22-2015 10:30 AM
    Sorry that is not correct, I got a 10% discount over the phone. Discount for the Unlocked Lumia 950 was $54.90 for a cost of $494.10 plus tax.
    Glad for you but I'm pretty sure they were confused and gave you the active duty discount. I had a similar thing happen in a chat where the rep didn't even understand the difference between active duty and a veteran.

BTW, how did they validate your status over the phone? I hope they aren't just taking people's word or the discounts may be killed off completely when some manager discovers mass fraud. Over-reaction is the most common response to that sort of thing.
    11-22-2015 10:48 AM
    Glad for you but I'm pretty sure they were confused and gave you the active duty discount. I had a similar thing happen in a chat where the rep didn't even understand the difference between active duty and a veteran.

BTW, how did they validate your status over the phone? I hope they aren't just taking people's word or the discounts may be killed off completely when some manager discovers mass fraud. Over-reaction is the most common response to that sort of thing.
    So, did you call and order one? And are you a Veteran? Did you get a discount?
    11-22-2015 10:54 AM
    BTW, how did they validate your status over the phone?
    Well I'm not in the services, but I notice they do nothing to validate my student status when I'm online or on the phone aside from asking what university I'm at.
    11-22-2015 11:01 AM
    Well I'm not in the services, but I notice they do nothing to validate my student status when I'm online or on the phone aside from asking what university I'm at.
    they never asked me for a DD214...so I'm not sure were he got that. I could provide the proof if necessary to the proper representative. But no one asked and I can't see how they can ask with the privacy laws the way they are, especially if it was a walk in store. Who knows who you are sharing that document with!
    11-22-2015 11:08 AM
    So, did you call and order one? And are you a Veteran? Did you get a discount?
    Yep, I'm a veteran. I ordered on-line before I found out about the 5% discount which is documented on the site. When my phone arrives, I take it to the MS store with my DD-214 for a price adjustment. Active duty and retired are supposed to show their ID cards. I don't know how the on-line store or phone orders validate service.
    11-22-2015 11:40 AM
    they never asked me for a DD214...so I'm not sure were he got that. I could provide the proof if necessary to the proper representative. But no one asked and I can't see how they can ask with the privacy laws the way they are, especially if it was a walk in store. Who knows who you are sharing that document with!
    Let me get this straight. Someone claims to be a veteran but it would be a privacy violation to prove what they voluntarily already told them?

Yeah.... Right.
    11-22-2015 11:50 AM
    Let me get this straight. Someone claims to be a veteran but it would be a privacy violation to prove what they voluntarily already told them?

Yeah.... Right.
    Well, I will not hand my DD214 to just anyone....not going to happen. That is my right to my privacy and my call.

This is really about Microsoft's rules about awarding the discount and who is entitled.

Who you talked to at a walk in store and what you got is between you and that store. I ordered mine over the phone and was awarded a 10% discount at the time of purchase.

Really, the best thing for you to do is take your concerns about the Veteran discount up with Microsoft.
    11-22-2015 01:56 PM
    Well, I will not hand my DD214 to just anyone....not going to happen. That is my right to my privacy and my call.

This is really about Microsoft's rules about awarding the discount and who is entitled.

Who you talked to at a walk in store and what you got is between you and that store. I ordered mine over the phone and was awarded a 10% discount at the time of purchase.

Really, the best thing for you to do is take your concerns about the Veteran discount up with Microsoft.
    Why do you think I have a concern?

Why do you think I talked to anyone at a walk in store about this? I talked to the same group of phone people you did.

And who even remotely suggested giving anyone a copy of their DD-214? Microsoft's written policy is to show NOT give a copy. Do bartenders where you live, keep people's driver's license when they card them?

I never hinted I didn't believe your story although your last post is causing some doubt. But it is obvious that they accidentally gave you an active duty or retired discount. I'm happy for you.

I don't care what happened with you. But your posts are starting to lean towards the "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" category.
    11-22-2015 02:15 PM
    Why do you think I have a concern?

Why do you think I talked to anyone at a walk in store about this? I talked to the same group of phone people you did.

And who even remotely suggested giving anyone a copy of their DD-214? Microsoft's written policy is to show NOT give a copy. Do bartenders where you live, keep people's driver's license when they card them?

I never hinted I didn't believe your story although your last post is causing some doubt. But it is obvious that they accidentally gave you an active duty or retired discount. I'm happy for you.

I don't care what happened with you. But your posts are starting to lean towards the "The lady doth protest too much, methinks" category.
    Please stick to the topic....like I said if you want to take it up with Microsoft about the discount then please do that.
    Thank you
    11-22-2015 02:29 PM