Lumia 950 WiFi download very slow

albert plytage

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
When my phone is connected to WiFi I get at best .8 mps on a speed test and around 12 when connected to 4g. Every other device on the same router is working fine. Any suggestions? I have tried hard resetting my phone and checking my router for updates but have not found any problems.

Last edited:

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried changing the channels and are you using 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

Also what are you using b, g, n, or ac or a combination?

albert plytage

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
My router has both 2.4 and 5ghz. Both are enabled. Both are set to mixed. I can change it to b/g, n,g,b only on the 2.4ghz and I can change the 5ghz to n,a only. Channel is also set to auto.

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
When my phone is connected to WiFi I get at best .8 mps on a speed test and around 12 when connected to 4g. Every other device on the same router is working fine. Any suggestions? I have tried hard resetting my phone and checking my router for updates but have not found any problems.

Have you tested any other devices to see what speed they get for a transfer rate?

albert plytage

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
My desktop PC is also connected through WiFi. I get 29.5 mbps down and 6.01 mbps up on a speedtest. So I don't think the issue is with my internet or router.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any advanced options under WiFi on the 950?

Also try adding the MAC address of the 950 to your router and have it assign a static IP address then do a speedtest.

If that doesn't work, try a fixed channel such as 14.

There might be a negotiation issue or channel conflict or you have a faulty unit. Hard to say....

albert plytage

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Setting a fixed channel had no effect on the speed. But I found a media prioritization setting. When I prioritize my cell phone I get much faster rates???

William Sanderson

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Setting a fixed channel had no effect on the speed. But I found a media prioritization setting. When I prioritize my cell phone I get much faster rates???

The router might be treating your 950 as a media device. My old router did that with my tablet and when it was given priority it faster. May be a reason?

st1cky

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
Slap me if this sounds dumb but I had a similar problem with the popular speedtest.net app and it was because I had it installed to my micro sd that I think is slowing down or failing. When I moved speed test app over to internal storage my speed test went up to 100+mbps download but still a slow 8mbps upload (I have fiber capable of much fast uploads). My other mobile devices have full 100/100 on 2g and 300/300 on 5g, just not the Lumia 950. frustrating :/

Last edited:

Rse1

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Having the same problem. Not that slow but still considerably slower than my 630(wp8.1) 😕 ! Also I think as a side effect the miracast is way more stable on my 630.. Im having a hard time maintaining a miracast connection on the 950. Also sometimes it dropped from my home network without being able to reconnect, eating my entire data plan without me knowing. Fixed that by switching airplane mode on and off a few times. Anyway it happened on my 930(w10m) too, so its probably not the hardware but a software problem. Hope they patch it soon.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Try disabling Bluetooth,reconnecting, and re-running the test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99