Why bad reviews are a good thing right now.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I called it, the 950 was released with a beta software that didn't make such a good impression.
However most of the people already invested in WP are immune to bad reviews now, they don't care about the shortcomings of the OS and they thoroughly enjoy the OS's unique features.

Let's be honest even if the 950/XL got raving reviews developers wouldn't flock to the ecosystem for two phones, and I know some of you will argue for universal apps (WP8 in 2012 preached that too along with Win 8)

Also good reviews wouldn't make people jump into an OS without Google services, specially outside of the US where Microsoft's localization can reach the level of being a joke! except for few lucky countries.

So why exactly bad reviews are a good thing?
  • Microsoft will drop prices sooner and will be forced to sell directly to customers.
  • Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates

So I say don't worry about it, if you still believe in the OS and are willing to spend your cash on them don't let no bad review stop you
If you want to have a cheap but great second phone/camera with a more polished software buy this phone six months from now.

Finally it's not the reviewers job to impress people or give phones a chance, it's Microsoft's job to create a product that wows reviewers.

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates
I don't see that happening nor necessarily helping the situation. WP has had lackluster reviews for years, not because of a buggy OS but because of the lack of apps. The bugs in W10M are just icing on the cake for reviewers and critics.

Microsoft needs to figure out how to get people to write apps for W10 (here's hoping that Islandwood helps). Without that, adding more resources to the W10M team isn't going to yield any return on investment.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Bad reviews, much like bad news, is never a good thing. Even if by mid December MS got everything fixed, most reviewers will not append the bad review and mist readers won't re-read them either. Once something is viewed as not good, it tends to stick. Which sucks as the 950 isn't as bad as most reviewers are making it sound.

With the exception of an unfinished OS and lack of apps compared to IOS and Android, there isn't much else to complain about.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So why exactly bad reviews are a good thing? Microsoft will drop prices sooner and will be forced to sell directly to customers.Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates

1. Microsoft is already selling these devices at good prices (compared to the market) and I doubt that reducing them any further will make a load more people buy them. I don't think the price of these phones is what may hold people back. People aren't just investing in a device to make calls, they're investing in an entirely new ecosystem and everything that comes with that and that's where people are pausing right now.
2. Microsoft have clearly stated their intentions. They were going to release a phone for Windows Phone fans, and they did exactly that. They are now regrouping under the supervision of Panos Panay and will most likely look to 'surface book' the mobile market (by which I mean find a way to change this market up and make it unique compared to all other devices). To do this successfully they will continue to develop W10 Mobile and its ecosystem, pushing forward the iOS app conversion utilities.

Personally I find this quite an exciting time, but it's not because of bad reviews. Bad reviews tend to be pretty much universally...bad.

These devices are needed but mainly for the existing fans of the platform that have spent 18+ months crying out for a new flagship and here they are.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a hard time deciding if I think selling more phones is better than not selling phones to non-enthusiasts who aren't going to be tolerant of the huge list of bugs and glitches. Now if new Android releases are as bad, it won't matter but I haven't used one for a long time now.

That said, for anyone who is tolerating the Insider releases on their daily driver, why NOT jump to these now? The OS isn't going to be worse and hardware specs are much better. Makes no sense for those people to hold out for a ready-for-prime-time release.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Bad reviews, much like bad news, is never a good thing. Even if by mid December MS got everything fixed, most reviewers will not append the bad review and mist readers won't re-read them either. Once something is viewed as not good, it tends to stick. Which sucks as the 950 isn't as bad as most reviewers are making it sound.

With the exception of an unfinished OS and lack of apps compared to IOS and Android, there isn't much else to complain about.

An unfinished OS and a HUGE lack of apps are two very glaring issues in the eyes of almost everybody who isn't an avid fan of the platform. We have to keep that in mind.

Also, the spin that these phones were made for the fans is, in fact, just a spin. They're unfinished devices, plain and simple. These two devices are going to shape the face of W10 mobile with no first party flagships due for another 9-12 months. That's not what you'd want if you were MS.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I've been saying this for awhile. Who the hell reads reviews? I think if you are tech minded you can figure out what platform you want without reviews. I think (and this is a guess on my part) most OSs are sold based on recommendations from friends or they see someone with a phone and curious about it. Just a couple days ago a co worker was trying to add an email account on his phone and was having issues. I asked him what OS he had and he had no clue. I can promise you guys like him don't read reviews or decide on what phone to get from some review. lol

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Yeah prices will drop and that's good for me Windows lover haha :D on the other hand, yeah I'd wish it was popular enough for Devs.

Ogdin

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I've been saying this for awhile. Who the hell reads reviews? I think if you are tech minded you can figure out what platform you want without reviews. I think (and this is a guess on my part) most OSs are sold based on recommendations from friends or they see someone with a phone and curious about it. Just a couple days ago a co worker was trying to add an email account on his phone and was having issues. I asked him what OS he had and he had no clue. I can promise you guys like him don't read reviews or decide on what phone to get from some review. lol

Most people just buy whatever the phone reps push at the stores.

Posted via my Moto x

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
"Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates"

This is a hilarious concept. Microsoft didn't impress The Verge, so things will magically get fixed? That's not how this works. They already have what is likely a tight timeline to bring new features to the OS and fix the hiccups of the current/old ones (like double-tap to wake). By your logic, the complaints of the app gap for the past 3 years would have led to more resource commitment to fixing it. Instead, we're not much better now than we were 2 years ago. Some devs have even abandoned the platform, even if some have jumped on-board.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Dear Satya Nadella, the pitiful Lumia 950 signals Microsoft should give up on mobile

If someone decides to purchase a Lumia 950, which is way too expensive by the way, they are in for a world of hurt. Other than some Microsoft fanboys and beat-writers like Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley, it's about as wanted as diarrhea. I argue that it is almost unethical to sell a product that you know will cause nothing but despair.

I wonder when that guy did a research on how windows phone users felt about windows phone and windows 10 mobile.

I personally am extremely happy with windows phone and WM10. I have the greatest camera, the fastest OS, the best camera apps, the most fluid OS, best keyboard and best hardware. No one can say I'm unhappy with my phone because that would be a lie. If windows phone doesn't sell in your country, that's the problem with that country. Don't assume it's replicated everywhere else in the world. I know hundreds of people I've met with a windows phone and they chose to be on it. No one made them choose it. My brother and I both ditched other platforms because they were frustratingly slow, complicated and convoluted.

I'm sticking with my lumia 1020 until it crashes for good and then I'll buy another windows phone because that's what I like and I know they will be there in the future

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
most reviewers will not append the bad review and mist readers won't re-read them either. Once something is viewed as not good, it tends to stick.
This is more dangerous than anything.

No matter how many people would be satisfied by the better state of app availability, people still will act like its 2012/2013 where Windows Phone barely had 150,000 apps under its belt.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a feeling that Surface phone will actually sport a processor like Intel? Atom? x5-Z8500 and will actually run Windows 10. I know this is not on topic, but the urge to say this is strong lol.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Any ways, you guys are over exaggerating.. There is so many comments on YouTube, where people are freaked out about Lumia 950 and 950 XL, and even be like "I'm dropping my iPhone 6S order for Lumia 950XL !!" And things like that :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99