11-26-2015 01:23 PM
34 12
tools
    Well, I called it, the 950 was released with a beta software that didn't make such a good impression.
    However most of the people already invested in WP are immune to bad reviews now, they don't care about the shortcomings of the OS and they thoroughly enjoy the OS's unique features.

Let's be honest even if the 950/XL got raving reviews developers wouldn't flock to the ecosystem for two phones, and I know some of you will argue for universal apps (WP8 in 2012 preached that too along with Win 8)

Also good reviews wouldn't make people jump into an OS without Google services, specially outside of the US where Microsoft's localization can reach the level of being a joke! except for few lucky countries.

So why exactly bad reviews are a good thing?
    • Microsoft will drop prices sooner and will be forced to sell directly to customers.
    • Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates

So I say don't worry about it, if you still believe in the OS and are willing to spend your cash on them don't let no bad review stop you
    If you want to have a cheap but great second phone/camera with a more polished software buy this phone six months from now.

Finally it's not the reviewers job to impress people or give phones a chance, it's Microsoft's job to create a product that wows reviewers.
    11-22-2015 09:03 AM
    Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates
    I don't see that happening nor necessarily helping the situation. WP has had lackluster reviews for years, not because of a buggy OS but because of the lack of apps. The bugs in W10M are just icing on the cake for reviewers and critics.

Microsoft needs to figure out how to get people to write apps for W10 (here's hoping that Islandwood helps). Without that, adding more resources to the W10M team isn't going to yield any return on investment.
    11-22-2015 01:16 PM
    Bad reviews, much like bad news, is never a good thing. Even if by mid December MS got everything fixed, most reviewers will not append the bad review and mist readers won't re-read them either. Once something is viewed as not good, it tends to stick. Which sucks as the 950 isn't as bad as most reviewers are making it sound.

With the exception of an unfinished OS and lack of apps compared to IOS and Android, there isn't much else to complain about.
    msirapian and a5cent like this.
    11-22-2015 02:46 PM
    So why exactly bad reviews are a good thing? Microsoft will drop prices sooner and will be forced to sell directly to customers.Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates
    1. Microsoft is already selling these devices at good prices (compared to the market) and I doubt that reducing them any further will make a load more people buy them. I don't think the price of these phones is what may hold people back. People aren't just investing in a device to make calls, they're investing in an entirely new ecosystem and everything that comes with that and that's where people are pausing right now.
    2. Microsoft have clearly stated their intentions. They were going to release a phone for Windows Phone fans, and they did exactly that. They are now regrouping under the supervision of Panos Panay and will most likely look to 'surface book' the mobile market (by which I mean find a way to change this market up and make it unique compared to all other devices). To do this successfully they will continue to develop W10 Mobile and its ecosystem, pushing forward the iOS app conversion utilities.

Personally I find this quite an exciting time, but it's not because of bad reviews. Bad reviews tend to be pretty much universally...bad.

These devices are needed but mainly for the existing fans of the platform that have spent 18+ months crying out for a new flagship and here they are.
    11-22-2015 03:01 PM
    I have a hard time deciding if I think selling more phones is better than not selling phones to non-enthusiasts who aren't going to be tolerant of the huge list of bugs and glitches. Now if new Android releases are as bad, it won't matter but I haven't used one for a long time now.

That said, for anyone who is tolerating the Insider releases on their daily driver, why NOT jump to these now? The OS isn't going to be worse and hardware specs are much better. Makes no sense for those people to hold out for a ready-for-prime-time release.
    11-22-2015 03:11 PM
    Bad reviews, much like bad news, is never a good thing. Even if by mid December MS got everything fixed, most reviewers will not append the bad review and mist readers won't re-read them either. Once something is viewed as not good, it tends to stick. Which sucks as the 950 isn't as bad as most reviewers are making it sound.

With the exception of an unfinished OS and lack of apps compared to IOS and Android, there isn't much else to complain about.
    An unfinished OS and a HUGE lack of apps are two very glaring issues in the eyes of almost everybody who isn't an avid fan of the platform. We have to keep that in mind.

Also, the spin that these phones were made for the fans is, in fact, just a spin. They're unfinished devices, plain and simple. These two devices are going to shape the face of W10 mobile with no first party flagships due for another 9-12 months. That's not what you'd want if you were MS.
    11-22-2015 03:15 PM
    I've been saying this for awhile. Who the hell reads reviews? I think if you are tech minded you can figure out what platform you want without reviews. I think (and this is a guess on my part) most OSs are sold based on recommendations from friends or they see someone with a phone and curious about it. Just a couple days ago a co worker was trying to add an email account on his phone and was having issues. I asked him what OS he had and he had no clue. I can promise you guys like him don't read reviews or decide on what phone to get from some review. lol
    11-22-2015 04:00 PM
    II can promise you guys like him don't read reviews or decide on what phone to get from some review. lol
    How's he liking the bridge you sold him?
    theefman likes this.
    11-22-2015 04:03 PM
    Yeah prices will drop and that's good for me Windows lover haha :D on the other hand, yeah I'd wish it was popular enough for Devs.
    11-22-2015 04:06 PM
    I've been saying this for awhile. Who the hell reads reviews? I think if you are tech minded you can figure out what platform you want without reviews. I think (and this is a guess on my part) most OSs are sold based on recommendations from friends or they see someone with a phone and curious about it. Just a couple days ago a co worker was trying to add an email account on his phone and was having issues. I asked him what OS he had and he had no clue. I can promise you guys like him don't read reviews or decide on what phone to get from some review. lol
    Most people just buy whatever the phone reps push at the stores.

Posted via my Moto x
    jlzimmerman and Ryujingt3 like this.
    11-22-2015 04:28 PM
    "Microsoft will have to save face and commit more resources to the WM10 team which will yield faster updates"

This is a hilarious concept. Microsoft didn't impress The Verge, so things will magically get fixed? That's not how this works. They already have what is likely a tight timeline to bring new features to the OS and fix the hiccups of the current/old ones (like double-tap to wake). By your logic, the complaints of the app gap for the past 3 years would have led to more resource commitment to fixing it. Instead, we're not much better now than we were 2 years ago. Some devs have even abandoned the platform, even if some have jumped on-board.
    11-22-2015 11:57 PM
    This is a hilarious concept. Microsoft didn't impress The Verge, so things will magically get fixed?
    Nothing impresses The Verge unless it's released out of Cupertino.
    11-23-2015 10:37 AM
    Verge had gained so much unpopularity in the last couple of days that they should fire the guy who did that review of Lumia 950
    Jazmac likes this.
    11-23-2015 10:47 AM
    bryan-cranston-laptop.jpg
    Vijay_Anand likes this.
    11-23-2015 09:56 PM
    Dear Satya Nadella, the pitiful Lumia 950 signals Microsoft should give up on mobile

If someone decides to purchase a Lumia 950, which is way too expensive by the way, they are in for a world of hurt. Other than some Microsoft fanboys and beat-writers like Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley, it's about as wanted as diarrhea. I argue that it is almost unethical to sell a product that you know will cause nothing but despair.

11-24-2015 01:59 AM
    Dear Satya Nadella, the pitiful Lumia 950 signals Microsoft should give up on mobile

If someone decides to purchase a Lumia 950, which is way too expensive by the way, they are in for a world of hurt. Other than some Microsoft fanboys and beat-writers like Paul Thurrott and Mary Jo Foley, it's about as wanted as diarrhea. I argue that it is almost unethical to sell a product that you know will cause nothing but despair.

I wonder when that guy did a research on how windows phone users felt about windows phone and windows 10 mobile.

I personally am extremely happy with windows phone and WM10. I have the greatest camera, the fastest OS, the best camera apps, the most fluid OS, best keyboard and best hardware. No one can say I'm unhappy with my phone because that would be a lie. If windows phone doesn't sell in your country, that's the problem with that country. Don't assume it's replicated everywhere else in the world. I know hundreds of people I've met with a windows phone and they chose to be on it. No one made them choose it. My brother and I both ditched other platforms because they were frustratingly slow, complicated and convoluted.

I'm sticking with my lumia 1020 until it crashes for good and then I'll buy another windows phone because that's what I like and I know they will be there in the future
    Jazmac likes this.
    11-24-2015 02:59 AM
    most reviewers will not append the bad review and mist readers won't re-read them either. Once something is viewed as not good, it tends to stick.
    This is more dangerous than anything.

No matter how many people would be satisfied by the better state of app availability, people still will act like its 2012/2013 where Windows Phone barely had 150,000 apps under its belt.
    11-24-2015 07:23 AM
    I have a feeling that Surface phone will actually sport a processor like Intel Atom x5-Z8500 and will actually run Windows 10. I know this is not on topic, but the urge to say this is strong lol.
    11-24-2015 09:02 AM
    Any ways, you guys are over exaggerating.. There is so many comments on YouTube, where people are freaked out about Lumia 950 and 950 XL, and even be like "I'm dropping my iPhone 6S order for Lumia 950XL !!" And things like that :)
    Jazmac likes this.
    11-24-2015 09:05 AM
    And making phones easy to replace covers is genius.
    11-24-2015 09:06 AM
    And making phones easy to replace covers is genius.
    I'm a Lumia fan, but its not genius. Others not doing it is moronic. So I can see if someone is grading on a curve they would think its genius. LoL
    11-24-2015 09:09 AM
    Any ways, you guys are over exaggerating.. There is so many comments on YouTube, where people are freaked out about Lumia 950 and 950 XL, and even be like "I'm dropping my iPhone 6S order for Lumia 950XL !!" And things like that :)
    I dropped android, I don't regret it. I've had ios Droid and W.P, W.P has not let me down. All the issues that are happening are normal especially when a new phone combined with a new O.S are released at or around the same time.
    Slovenix likes this.
    11-24-2015 09:30 AM
    I'm a Lumia fan, but its not genius. Others not doing it is moronic. So I can see if someone is grading on a curve they would think its genius. LoL
    Well I "laugh" when people destroy their "Samsung and Apple" phones and pay another 200 to repair it. I was never a fan of metallic phones either although I use 830. Hot in summer, freezing in winter and thus discharging the battery faster than it should.
    11-24-2015 09:33 AM
    And if something is really cool, when I asked my class which material I should use in my concept phone design, it was Wood. Where it could be actually done for 950s. Totally up to it.
    11-24-2015 09:38 AM
    And if something is really cool, when I asked my class which material I should use in my concept phone design, it was Wood. Where it could be actually done for 950s. Totally up to it.
    The structure needs to be something like polycarb because of how the backs are removed and installed but I would LOVE for someone to make a back that just has a full height and width recessed area to put various material and colored panels in. That would also eliminate the downside of paying for NFC and wireless charging OR to move the built-in components for every different look. And on the inside mold in edges for where to put the factory components so customers can't put them in wrong if buying the version that doesn't come with those parts.
    Slovenix likes this.
    11-24-2015 10:04 AM
34 12