03-22-2016 10:31 PM
95 1234
tools
    I played with the phone some more. If you rub any of the rear mics, used for noise cancellation, in a call received by the 950 it can be heard by the other person. I'm sticking to my guns with noise cancellation going nuts when it receives a call for some reason. I called the 950 yesterday while it was in a car. Me at home, 950 in the car. I could barely hear them in their car, windows were up and radio off btw. It was like they were sitting on a train engine or something. All I could hear was wind, tire, and engine noise more than the person using the 950. Called me back....all clear.
    What if you actually blow into the microphones? It didn't pick anything up for me then.
    11-24-2015 01:03 PM
    Have the same issues calling people seems to work fine only incoming calls is an issue. Been searching the web and besides a few reviews it seem like only a few people maybe it's a first run issue?
    11-24-2015 02:28 PM
    Exact same issue here. Incoming calls are definitely an issue. Hopefully they can get a fix quickly.
    11-24-2015 02:42 PM
    I have two 950s from ATT and they both have this issue. It seems to help to keep the phone a little away from the face. Works great on bluetooth amd on speaker. It must me an issue with the noise cancelling microphones? Only they work in reverse where they transmit their sounds instead. It's ridiculous and has to get addressed asap. I doubt Microsoft knows yet. This is the basic need of a phone...to make good quality phone calls.
    11-24-2015 07:32 PM
    I'm going to try and pick up a 950 for myself tonight. If the problem doesn't exist on mine then I'll have my Wife exchange hers and assume it's a hardware issue.

Although before doing any of that i want to make sure she's on the latest OS build.
    11-24-2015 08:16 PM
    Now that it appears to be an issue concerning the microphone/speaker combo on receiving calls, I'm fairly confident it can be fixed by a firmware update from Microsoft. I'm not quite sure if Microsoft is aware of the problem given that several reviews a few months ago have already noted calls having an echo issue.

I guess the next step here is to contact Microsoft about the issue to make them aware how many of us are actually having this problem.
    11-24-2015 08:34 PM
    How do we go about contacting Microsoft? I called support and they were clueless. Can we have the WC team involved? This is a real issue for a very basic phone functionally.
    John Frey and rickms80 like this.
    11-24-2015 08:46 PM
    Any luck with finding a fix yet? Does getting a replacement help?
    11-25-2015 11:26 AM
    It's definitely only with incoming calls. Probably an issue with the noise cancellation mics on the back. There seems to be one up top and one at the bottom of the device. Turning off Enhanced Calling (on ATT) "ATT HD Voice", as suggested on the fourms, does not help. Speakerphone or a Bluetooth headset seem to be the only way to receive calls for now...
    leftturney likes this.
    11-25-2015 12:06 PM
    Turning hold on and off again seems to help a lot still there but not bad
    Jon Wolthuis and rickms80 like this.
    11-25-2015 12:42 PM
    I have this same issue..on incoming calls also. Any clue how we let MS know?
    11-25-2015 02:17 PM
    on your device go to the Windows Feedback app and search "echo calls" and Upvote the first 2 things that come up. Someone posted those on there recently it seems like. I think it's best to do it through there? If someone uses twitter you can tweet Gabe about it and see if he replies?
    11-25-2015 02:45 PM
    on your device go to the Windows Feedback app and search "echo calls" and Upvote the first 2 things that come up. Someone posted those on there recently it seems like. I think it's best to do it through there? If someone uses twitter you can tweet Gabe about it and see if he replies?
    Can't find it.
    11-25-2015 06:38 PM
    Think I'm on to something when you had the issue did you use an aux cable headset or wire. On your device got a new phone and backed it up from an old file. And had no issues it worked perfectly as soon as I hooked up my earbuds and un plugged then it went right back to the old way
    11-29-2015 03:51 PM
    I had the caller echo on my 950. Swapped it for a replacement 950 at the AT&T store. Not related to HD Voice, as both phones worked with HD Voice, albeit with a better sounding echo on the first phone.

Replacement phone has no caller echo, and HD Voice sounds great.
    jfreiman likes this.
    11-29-2015 08:00 PM
    Just a quick update after a week:

The echo is definitely a problem only with incoming calls. If someone does call you and they're getting the echo, just toggle "hold" and "unhold." It should fix the issue. I've decided not to bring my device back to the ATT store and I'll stick it out, hoping this is an issue Microsoft could easily fix. It's interesting to see that some units have this issue, while others don't. Not sure how to explain that as I thought it might be firmware related.
    11-30-2015 12:11 AM
    Going to do a factory reset to see what happens there. Not going to restore from a backup either.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    11-30-2015 12:36 AM
    No call quality issues with either my or my wife's AT&T 950s. Both are using HD Voice and sound great.
    11-30-2015 01:58 PM
    Interesting, I had people complain about an echo on my 950XL. I wonder if there's a firmware issue related to the noise suppression system or so. Too soon to tell, let's see how many people report similar issues.
    11-30-2015 02:12 PM
    Having the same problems with my new 950 I just bought last week through ATT.

I can confirm 100% that it happens during both incoming and outgoing phone calls. I have to ask the person on the other end of the call to turn their volume down and it's not as bad but it's still there. Very disappointing and I'm seriously considering returning the phone and going back to my Note 2 :/
    jfreiman likes this.
    11-30-2015 03:01 PM
    I'm getting the same echo complaints from all callers on my 950 regardless ox incoming or outgoing calls.
    I'm really disappointed that I can't enjoy my phone literally everyone had complained so far - then I tell them it's a new phone, a Microsoft Windows Mobile phone, and I can hear their mocking tone. It's awful.
    12-01-2015 03:05 AM
    Do people here hear the echo themselves as well? I don't hear it, suggesting that the speaker signal somehow makes it to the microphone, or maybe that the ambient noise suppression is a little overzealous. Is there already a Feedback item for this problem? What's the title so we can search for it?
    12-01-2015 08:51 AM
    Do people here hear the echo themselves as well? I don't hear it, suggesting that the speaker signal somehow makes it to the microphone, or maybe that the ambient noise suppression is a little overzealous. Is there already a Feedback item for this problem? What's the title so we can search for it?
    You on the 950 do not hear the echo. Who ever calls you will complain that they can hear their self when talking to you. They will sound fine to you however. Toggling them on and off hold usually fixes it or calling them back. It's frustrating.
    12-01-2015 10:45 AM
    I'm going to try and pick up a 950 for myself tonight. If the problem doesn't exist on mine then I'll have my Wife exchange hers and assume it's a hardware issue.

Although before doing any of that i want to make sure she's on the latest OS build.
    Now that I have two Lumia 950's, bought at different stores, both have the echo issue when receiving calls.

We only have 14 days to return/exchange from what I understand. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everyone that calls us we tell them we'll call them right back to stop the echo issue. It's not just echo though, it's like we put them on speakerphone ( a really poor quality one) too.

Has anyone seen anything official from Microsoft on this issue? Where do we go to make them aware of the issue?
    12-01-2015 02:25 PM
    Now that I have two Lumia 950's, bought at different stores, both have the echo issue when receiving calls.

We only have 14 days to return/exchange from what I understand. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everyone that calls us we tell them we'll call them right back to stop the echo issue. It's not just echo though, it's like we put them on speakerphone ( a really poor quality one) too.

Has anyone seen anything official from Microsoft on this issue? Where do we go to make them aware of the issue?
    No need to call back to fix it. Just put them on hold for a second and it'll clear it up. Some people have even said muting might work too, although I haven't personally tried it.
    12-01-2015 03:58 PM
95 1234