Caller Echo?

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
No new solutions from my end either. Like some of the other posters were suggesting, my echo issues seem to only occur with calls that I receive. As an example, I got a call today from somebody that immediately said I had a bad echo. I hang up and called them back with no echo issues.

I'm not sure if placing vs receiving calls is actually the control here, or if it was just coincidence that ending the call removed the echo.

d33pth0u9ht

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. My wife's 950 has a bad echo every time I call her. The problem does not occur when on Bluetooth in her car. I notice it only when she is using the 950 as a stand alone phone (no speakerphone, no Bluetooth, no wired headset).

My thought was that the microphone is picking up sound from the speaker, resulting in an echo. I hope that the noise cancellation algorithms can be updated to correct as this is a serious issue.

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I first noticed the problem when I turned on speakerphone, and then turned it off. It sounded like it turns the microphone input gain very high. However, it seems to go away once I start talking for a bit, which sounds to me like the auto-gain control is messed up. Very frustrating.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I played with the phone some more. If you rub any of the rear mics, used for noise cancellation, in a call received by the 950 it can be heard by the other person. I'm sticking to my guns with noise cancellation going nuts when it receives a call for some reason. I called the 950 yesterday while it was in a car. Me at home, 950 in the car. I could barely hear them in their car, windows were up and radio off btw. It was like they were sitting on a train engine or something. All I could hear was wind, tire, and engine noise more than the person using the 950. Called me back....all clear.

kltye

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I played with the phone some more. If you rub any of the rear mics, used for noise cancellation, in a call received by the 950 it can be heard by the other person. I'm sticking to my guns with noise cancellation going nuts when it receives a call for some reason. I called the 950 yesterday while it was in a car. Me at home, 950 in the car. I could barely hear them in their car, windows were up and radio off btw. It was like they were sitting on a train engine or something. All I could hear was wind, tire, and engine noise more than the person using the 950. Called me back....all clear.

What if you actually blow into the microphones? It didn't pick anything up for me then.

John Frey

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Have the same issues calling people seems to work fine only incoming calls is an issue. Been searching the web and besides a few reviews it seem like only a few people maybe it's a first run issue?

patryk.szady

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have two 950s from ATT and they both have this issue. It seems to help to keep the phone a little away from the face. Works great on bluetooth amd on speaker. It must me an issue with the noise cancelling microphones? Only they work in reverse where they transmit their sounds instead. It's ridiculous and has to get addressed asap. I doubt Microsoft knows yet. This is the basic need of a phone...to make good quality phone calls.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try and pick up a 950 for myself tonight. If the problem doesn't exist on mine then I'll have my Wife exchange hers and assume it's a hardware issue.

Although before doing any of that i want to make sure she's on the latest OS build.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Now that it appears to be an issue concerning the microphone/speaker combo on receiving calls, I'm fairly confident it can be fixed by a firmware update from Microsoft. I'm not quite sure if Microsoft is aware of the problem given that several reviews a few months ago have already noted calls having an echo issue.

I guess the next step here is to contact Microsoft about the issue to make them aware how many of us are actually having this problem.

patryk.szady

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
How do we go about contacting Microsoft? I called support and they were clueless. Can we have the WC team involved? This is a real issue for a very basic phone functionally.

patryk.szady

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely only with incoming calls. Probably an issue with the noise cancellation mics on the back. There seems to be one up top and one at the bottom of the device. Turning off Enhanced Calling (on ATT) "ATT HD Voice", as suggested on the fourms, does not help. Speakerphone or a Bluetooth headset seem to be the only way to receive calls for now...

patryk.szady

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
on your device go to the Windows Feedback app and search "echo calls" and Upvote the first 2 things that come up. Someone posted those on there recently it seems like. I think it's best to do it through there? If someone uses twitter you can tweet Gabe about it and see if he replies?

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
on your device go to the Windows Feedback app and search "echo calls" and Upvote the first 2 things that come up. Someone posted those on there recently it seems like. I think it's best to do it through there? If someone uses twitter you can tweet Gabe about it and see if he replies?

Can't find it.

John Frey

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Think I'm on to something when you had the issue did you use an aux cable headset or wire. On your device got a new phone and backed it up from an old file. And had no issues it worked perfectly as soon as I hooked up my earbuds and un plugged then it went right back to the old way

Jon Wolthuis

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I had the caller echo on my 950. Swapped it for a replacement 950 at the AT&T store. Not related to HD Voice, as both phones worked with HD Voice, albeit with a better sounding echo on the first phone.

Replacement phone has no caller echo, and HD Voice sounds great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss