Caller Echo?

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Just a quick update after a week:

The echo is definitely a problem only with incoming calls. If someone does call you and they're getting the echo, just toggle "hold" and "unhold." It should fix the issue. I've decided not to bring my device back to the ATT store and I'll stick it out, hoping this is an issue Microsoft could easily fix. It's interesting to see that some units have this issue, while others don't. Not sure how to explain that as I thought it might be firmware related.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Going to do a factory reset to see what happens there. Not going to restore from a backup either.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I had people complain about an echo on my 950XL. I wonder if there's a firmware issue related to the noise suppression system or so. Too soon to tell, let's see how many people report similar issues.

gmart2333

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Having the same problems with my new 950 I just bought last week through ATT.

I can confirm 100% that it happens during both incoming and outgoing phone calls. I have to ask the person on the other end of the call to turn their volume down and it's not as bad but it's still there. Very disappointing and I'm seriously considering returning the phone and going back to my Note 2 :/

jfreiman

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the same echo complaints from all callers on my 950 regardless ox incoming or outgoing calls.
I'm really disappointed that I can't enjoy my phone literally everyone had complained so far - then I tell them it's a new phone, a Microsoft Windows Mobile phone, and I can hear their mocking tone. It's awful.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Do people here hear the echo themselves as well? I don't hear it, suggesting that the speaker signal somehow makes it to the microphone, or maybe that the ambient noise suppression is a little overzealous. Is there already a Feedback item for this problem? What's the title so we can search for it?

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do people here hear the echo themselves as well? I don't hear it, suggesting that the speaker signal somehow makes it to the microphone, or maybe that the ambient noise suppression is a little overzealous. Is there already a Feedback item for this problem? What's the title so we can search for it?

You on the 950 do not hear the echo. Who ever calls you will complain that they can hear their self when talking to you. They will sound fine to you however. Toggling them on and off hold usually fixes it or calling them back. It's frustrating.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try and pick up a 950 for myself tonight. If the problem doesn't exist on mine then I'll have my Wife exchange hers and assume it's a hardware issue.

Although before doing any of that i want to make sure she's on the latest OS build.

Now that I have two Lumia 950's, bought at different stores, both have the echo issue when receiving calls.

We only have 14 days to return/exchange from what I understand. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everyone that calls us we tell them we'll call them right back to stop the echo issue. It's not just echo though, it's like we put them on speakerphone ( a really poor quality one) too.

Has anyone seen anything official from Microsoft on this issue? Where do we go to make them aware of the issue?

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Now that I have two Lumia 950's, bought at different stores, both have the echo issue when receiving calls.

We only have 14 days to return/exchange from what I understand. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Everyone that calls us we tell them we'll call them right back to stop the echo issue. It's not just echo though, it's like we put them on speakerphone ( a really poor quality one) too.

Has anyone seen anything official from Microsoft on this issue? Where do we go to make them aware of the issue?

No need to call back to fix it. Just put them on hold for a second and it'll clear it up. Some people have even said muting might work too, although I haven't personally tried it.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No need to call back to fix it. Just put them on hold for a second and it'll clear it up. Some people have even said muting might work too, although I haven't personally tried it.

Muting didn't work for me. The hold trick seems to be the quickest workaround.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone with this issue exchanged and the new device not have this issue?

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
This is not good. With the bland exterior of the 950 MS can not afford to have these kind of problems come up. This could be a deal killer for some people who are on the fence on buying...unattractive phone and it does not work properly...not a good combination.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I factory reset the phone. I chose to start fresh instead of restoring from backup. So far... all incoming calls have no echo. I'm not going to get too excited. Hopefully setting up the phone without restoring from a previous backup works. Like I said so far so good.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I factory reset the phone. I chose to start fresh instead of restoring from backup. So far... all incoming calls have no echo. I'm not going to get too excited. Hopefully setting up the phone without restoring from a previous backup works. Like I said so far so good.

Please let us know if anything changes (or gets worse).

leftturney

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What really stinks about this is you don't have any idea it is happening unless the person says something. Hopefully this is fixed fast. I have it happening on both mine and my wife's 950s. It doesn't matter if a case is on or not and it happens for us on placed and received calls. I haven't tried the hold thing yet so I'll start using that for the time being.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What really stinks about this is you don't have any idea it is happening unless the person says something. Hopefully this is fixed fast. I have it happening on both mine and my wife's 950s. It doesn't matter if a case is on or not and it happens for us on placed and received calls. I haven't tried the hold thing yet so I'll start using that for the time being.

That is a very important point. Unless the callers complain, you will not know your phone is doing this. Your calls will always sound normal to you. The person that calls you will hear their self echo. Some people do not complain because, and I did this at first, they assume they're on speakerphone. You'll know your phone is messing up though if they ask if they're on speakerphone, why do I hear myself, or where are you, it's so loud.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

36 Hours into a factory reset with with no restore from backup. No echo so far. :-D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo