Caller Echo?

patryk.szady

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Glad it worked for you - did not when I tried. Like others suggested clicking hold and hold again as soon as you answer a call definitely fixes this isse. I have an opened case with Microsoft support regarding this - I contacted them last week and was told they are escalating my case to "the relevant team"...whatever that means (nothing?). Maybe she was lying since I still haven't heard back. I really wasn't nice, lost my patience.

patryk.szady

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I just spoke with Microsoft Support again. "I have made a follow up on this from the department that is handling the case, and was advised that you will be given a call by tomorrow about this. We will prioritize that you be contacted as soon as possible." So I'm expecting a call tomorrow regarding this. Hopefully this will help so they can at least acknowledge the issue.

GregCra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Love my new 950, but I'm getting a strange issue with reception.

Anyone getting a strange issue with other callers complaining about an echo? During calls, I've heard several people telling me they hear themselves echo, while I can hear them just fine. After doing my own detective work over the past day, I've noticed several things:

1) Happens randomly. I can call someone else right after and they don't hear an echo.
2) Putting the call on speakerphone seems to stop the echo on their end.
3) Happens with or without a case on
4) Happens at any location

Hate the idea there might be something wrong with my new phone, and toying with the idea of bringing it back to the ATT store and exchanging for a new one. However, I'm not yet sure if this is a technical issue with the phone or an issue with call quality.

I had this issue.. I can give you 2 solutions:
1) put the caller on HOLD .. then UNHOLD them.. and all will be good
this is not a good solution.. so
2) bring the phone back and get another one within the 14 period. I did this today .. and got a phone that does not cause the echo. Seems some do and some don't. I suggest testing it before you leave the store.

PS.. it only happens when people call you.. you can call them back and it won't happen.

TonkaIce

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm experiencing the same echo complaint from callers. It does not happen all the time but occurs several times a day.

Occurs while using a Bluetooth headset and when using just the handset.
I can hear the echo and distorted noise on some of the calls.
Seems to be worse when you are in a loud environment.

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if AT&T has something going on with the HD Voice capabilities of the phone and wondered what peoples settings are set to. I tried turning off "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" in the SIM settings and it seemed to clear up the echos for now. I don't have HD voice capabilities in my area so I figured I'd turn it off. You can get there by going to Settings > System > Phone > under SIM hit "Cellular &SIM" > at the bottom hit "SIM settings" > Enhanced 4g LTE Services. I set it off and did a soft reset. As of 10 hours or so no one has mentioned the echo to me. Just throwing some things out there to try if anyone else has success with it or not.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
With my Wife's phone and mine still doing it, well we are about to take her's back (she also has issues where the ring for phone calls and texts only works part of the time, even after rebooting/pulling the battery).

I don't want to, but if I have to I'll also exchange mine. Pretty shoddy that so many are having this issue with absolutely no news from MS about it.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With my Wife's phone and mine still doing it, well we are about to take her's back (she also has issues where the ring for phone calls and texts only works part of the time, even after rebooting/pulling the battery).

I don't want to, but if I have to I'll also exchange mine. Pretty shoddy that so many are having this issue with absolutely no news from MS about it.

Did you factory reset the phone opting not to restore from a backup?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Just curious if AT&T has something going on with the HD Voice capabilities of the phone and wondered what peoples settings are set to. I tried turning off "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" in the SIM settings and it seemed to clear up the echos for now. I don't have HD voice capabilities in my area so I figured I'd turn it off. You can get there by going to Settings > System > Phone > under SIM hit "Cellular &SIM" > at the bottom hit "SIM settings" > Enhanced 4g LTE Services. I set it off and did a soft reset. As of 10 hours or so no one has mentioned the echo to me. Just throwing some things out there to try if anyone else has success with it or not.

When I was having the echo issue turing this off didn't seem to make a difference.

Kressilac

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Same issue. I make the call, no echo.

If someone calls me and they can hear everything in the background and their own voice echoed back to them. Place them on hold and take them off hold, immediately resolves the issue. If I don't ask the caller, I have no idea they are listening to terrible call quality.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. I found the culprit, I think, hey cortana. After resetting the phone i had not enabled the always listening hey cortana. As soon as I enabled and trained hey cortana the echo issue returned. I immediately turned the feature back off and it was gone. Turn off hey cortana and have someone call you to see if it fixed it.

ncbartschi

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Ok. I found the culprit, I think, hey cortana. After resetting the phone i had not enabled the always listening hey cortana. As soon as I enabled and trained hey cortana the echo issue returned. I immediately turned the feature back off and it was gone. Turn off hey cortana and have someone call you to see if it fixed it.

You might be on to something here. I recently did a factory reset like you suggested and the echo has been gone for the past 2 days. Before the reset I had trained Cortana to learn my voice, but after the reset I have Hey Cortana enabled, but haven't trained her voice yet. So it might not be Hey Cortana by itself, but training her to respond to your voice

Now that I've resolved it, I'm hesitant on training to my voice for fear it might come back. Can other people with the issue confirm if they have Cortana trained to your voice?

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You might be on to something here. I recently did a factory reset like you suggested and the echo has been gone for the past 2 days. Before the reset I had trained Cortana to learn my voice, but after the reset I have Hey Cortana enabled, but haven't trained her voice yet. So it might not be Hey Cortana by itself, but training her to respond to your voice

Now that I've resolved it, I'm hesitant on training to my voice for fear it might come back. Can other people with the issue confirm if they have Cortana trained to your voice?

Let me enable hey cortana again and switch it back to everyone to see if the echo stays away. :)

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No dice. I enable hey cortana and switched it anyone and the echo came back. I then switched hey cortana back off and echo issue went away again.

I wonder if there is anyone that is in your position. Had the echo, Factory reset with no restore, turned hey cortana on without training and still without the echo.

Last edited:

John Frey

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site

I can confirm tested 4 times with "Hey" on and off every time it was on had the echo every time it was off perfect call quality. Think we finally found it!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm tested 4 times with "Hey" on and off every time it was on had the echo every time it was off perfect call quality. Think we finally found it!
Wow, great detective work by Windows Central users once again. That was the biggest hardware problem I had, next to the Qi charger making my unit very warm. I hope they can fix this asap.

rickms80

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well lets just think about it. It makes sense to me and needs to be fixed. When the Hey Cortana feature is enable it's "Always Listening." I'm confident that when the phone is "listening" the mics are tuned so they're extremely sensitive to listen for "hey cortana." For some reason this sensitive mic tuning is carried over into an incoming call, a bug of course.

Lennart Petersson

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Oh dear, now this bug caught me also :(

Have the 10586.29 update installed (no insider) on my 950XL. Also have Hey Cortana enabled. But all worked fine and have not heard of any complaints until my first call today. Tested my self and sure, there is a lot of echoes... Disabling Hey Cortana solves the problem.

Note that today I put my second sim card into the phone (dual sim) and this was the first call after that. Was that a coincident or is it related somehow...

/L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo