12-08-2015 12:25 AM
64 123
tools
    I have been an iPhone user for the past 5 years and began searching for something new after my last contract expired (Verizon). I started exploring new phone hardware and OS's and came across WP a while back on a friends 8.1 phone. I was impressed with it from the start. I was just getting bored and tired with iOS which has remained largely the same since birth.

I am an avid mac/iphone user but use windows daily as well and am impressed with windows 10 so I started following WP10 shortly after.

I finally settled on the Lumia 950 with WP 10 after researching it and waiting for weeks. I read the forums and reviews. I asked friends and mobile reps. It was barely positive but I had hope for something coming from MS. I wanted it enough that I even jumped carriers.

I've heavily used the phone since it's release on Friday and I am pretty impressed so far. The phone gets warm just like my 5S but it's a non issue. Here are my thoughts.

Pros:
    Gorgeous UI and design
    Love the live tiles
    All the apps I regularly use are available except Chase banking and snapchat
    Unique windows apps like baconit are great
    Phone itself is nice. Getting used to the big screen still
    The plastic design doesn't feel like an apple device by any means but it feels more solid than Samsung and some others. It's definitely not cheap feeling
    Camera is awesome
    Cortana works as well as Siri for what I do
    Screen is great
    Battery life after a day of heavy use leaves about 30% remaining
    Ease of transferring contacts
    Removable back cover
    Hello or the iris recognition works better than expected

Cons:
    New keyboard not easy to get used to
    Keyboard is laggy at times
    Some apps seem a bit laggy and slow
    Speaker is underwhelming
    Touch screen not as sensitive or accurate as iPhone but it works well enough
    Some live tiles/apps don't seem to update their notifications very quickly

Overall:
    I am a bit of a techy but I think anybody can pick up and use WP easy enough. I picked up my iPhone after two days and it felt so outdated! I am willing to wait for MS to work out the kinks and have high hopes for snapchat to arrive. I also want my fantasy football apps (yahoo)! Making the switch has been easy enough and I'm sure I've made the right decision so far.
    Last edited by plandyman; 11-22-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    11-22-2015 01:37 PM
    This was a very good little review. A lot of long time users forget to mention the good part of the ecosystem and you saw the value of it in just a little while.
    11-22-2015 01:49 PM
    I have been an iPhone user for the past 5 years and began searching for something new after my last contract expired (Verizon). I started exploring new phone hardware and OS's and came across WP a while back on a friends 8.1 phone. I was impressed with it from the start. I was just getting bored and tired with iOS which has remained largely the same since birth.

I am an avid mac/iphone user but use windows daily as well and am impressed with windows 10 so I started following WP10 shortly after.

I finally settled on the Lumia 950 with WP 10 after researching it and waiting for weeks. I read the forums and reviews. I asked friends and mobile reps. It was barely positive but I had hope for something coming from MS. I wanted it enough that I even jumped carriers.

I've heavily used the phone since it's release on Friday and I am pretty impressed so far. Here are my thoughts.

Pros:
    Gorgeous UI and design
    Love the live tiles
    All the apps I regularly use are available except Chase banking and snapchat
    Unique windows apps like baconit are great
    Phone itself is nice. Getting used to the big screen still
    The plastic design doesn't feel like an apple device by any means but it feels more solid than Samsung and some others. It's definitely not cheap feeling
    Camera is awesome
    Cortana works as well as Siri for what I do
    Screen is great
    Battery life after a day of heavy use leaves about 30% remaining
    Ease of transferring contacts
    Removable back cover

Cons:
    Some apps seem a bit laggy and slow
    Speaker is underwhelming
    Some live tiles/apps don't seem to update their notifications very quickly

Overall:
    I am a bit of a techy but I think anybody can pick up and use WP easy enough. I picked up my iPhone after two days and it felt so outdated! I am willing to wait for MS to work out the kinks and have high hopes for snapchat to arrive. I also want my fantasy football apps (yahoo)! Making the switch has been easy enough and I'm sure I've made the right decision so far.
    Nice reviews a perspective ....
    I have felt IOS to be boring for a long time... I dont care for all three social apps. I have gotten by with WP for years now...

I just want. A phone do what I need need and windows has been very good to me while not being so cookie cutter.

Good luck to you
    11-22-2015 01:49 PM
    Great review from someone who has just joined WP and can see the many positives there is!
    Good luck, and it'll be nice to hear from you in a couple of months to see how you're getting on.
    aximtreo and ven07 like this.
    11-22-2015 01:58 PM
    It's crazy how every ATT rep tried to downplay the phone and talk me out of it! The rep didnt know anything about the phone and told me they had none in stock. A manage ran after me after I was leaving to lmk they found one in the back. MS needs to rectify that if they want growth.

And I agree with you jaimeastin. As long as the phone does what I need with minimal issues I'll be ok.
    Last edited by plandyman; 11-22-2015 at 03:29 PM.
    11-22-2015 02:00 PM
    Every time I use an iPhone it feels really outdated. Confounds me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    zombie0 likes this.
    11-22-2015 02:06 PM
    It's crazy how every ATT rep tried to downplay the phone and talk me out of it! MS needs to rectify that if they want growth.

And I agree with you jaimeastin. As long as the phone does what I need with minimal issues I'll be ok.
    They didn't even know what I was talking about when I went in there. After the dug around and found one in the back, yes 1, I got everything up and running. I have never even held a WP before but got everything off and running. All of them were blown away that the phone was made by Microsoft, how light it was, and how great the screen looks. They might need a little bit of training on the stuff they sell...
    11-22-2015 02:46 PM
    It's crazy how every ATT rep tried to downplay the phone and talk me out of it! MS needs to rectify that if they want growth.
    And so should existing and potential AT&T customers. A lot of individuals complaining in ways a decision maker hears can go farther than Microsoft saying the same things. After all consumers don't have as conflicting objectives as MS does.
    11-22-2015 03:16 PM
    Great little review, and welcome to WM10! I too jumped carriers (after 14 years) for this phone. Enjoying it so far.
    11-22-2015 03:29 PM
    I hope when you switched carriers you let them know why. I've been with Big Red since my first mobile phone back in the late 90s. I don't plan on getting the 950 soon but when I do finally get a new phone I will also switch carriers.
    Aaron Graves likes this.
    11-22-2015 03:39 PM
    Don't hold your breath for Snapchat. It's developer is as hostile towards Windows as Google.
    ven07 and Tjarren like this.
    11-22-2015 03:53 PM
    I picked up a 950, just to try it out. And man am I disappointed! After using a 1520 for so long, this phone feels like a cheap toy. Definitely taking it back! Also W10M runs better on my 1520 than it does in this hardware that is made for W10M.
    I really hope Microsoft gets their **** together for their next "flagship" phones. This phone is a literal punchline! Keeping my 1520 & 6+ as my two main drivers.
    11-22-2015 03:59 PM
    Keeping my 1520
    That'll work too.
    geekladyemjay likes this.
    11-22-2015 04:06 PM
    Cons:
    Some of this might be attributable (and I mean might, I'm only speculating) to the way iOS handles touch inputs. I know I have taken time to adjust to this going from an iPhone 4 to a Lumia 920 and then using my wife's iPhone 5S every now and then. I now don't think any are better, but they are different.

iOS tends to shift the touch target down slightly from the UI element it relates to. You can really see this if you try to use an iPhone upside down, the touch target isn't where you expect. This is done on purpose based on Apple's research of how users hold and interact with phones, but other OSs might not do this. I know Android didn't around the time of the Galaxy S4 and I'm not sure about Windows Phone.

Anyway I'm not certain if iOS, Android & Windows Phone still differ in this way and I'm not saying which is better, but maybe give it another couple of weeks to get used to the 950 and see if it's still noticeable.
    11-22-2015 04:11 PM
    Welcome to the world of Windows 10 Mobile!
    ven07 likes this.
    11-22-2015 10:51 PM
    Even when I suggested lumia to my friend. He went into store to buy one & the ignorant sales rep. tried as much as he can to downplay the phone & persuade him from buying a lumia..,!!! But he stayed determined & eventually bought one. General lack of awareness is the biggest problem microsoft has to address to.
    11-22-2015 11:33 PM
    I picked up a 950, just to try it out. And man am I disappointed! After using a 1520 for so long, this phone feels like a cheap toy. Definitely taking it back! Also W10M runs better on my 1520 than it does in this hardware that is made for W10M.
    I really hope Microsoft gets their **** together for their next "flagship" phones. This phone is a literal punchline! Keeping my 1520 & 6+ as my two main drivers.
    If you're happy with your 1520 just keep it. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.. Let the ones that like the 950 enjoy their new phone without all the negativity.
    raycpl, libra89, Al4video and 5 others like this.
    11-23-2015 03:08 AM
    If you're happy with your 1520 just keep it. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.. Let the ones that like the 950 enjoy their new phone without all the negativity.
    Sounds like a hater that's probably never touched a 950.
    Changaizee, Al4video and ven07 like this.
    11-23-2015 03:24 AM
    Sounds like a hater that's probably never touched a 950.
    Hater on the 950, yep. Typing this comment with it. So I'm touching it, and it still feels like a cheap toy. You made such a dumb comment, lol. But I'm definitely keeping my 1520, just had to share my opinion. You don't have to like it, but it's still gonna be there.
    Arunabha Goswami and ven07 like this.
    11-23-2015 04:19 AM
    Like I said in the original comment, I am keeping my 1520. And I'll feel free to post my opinion, deal with it.
    Arunabha Goswami and MAHAD93 like this.
    11-23-2015 04:21 AM
    Insecure much?

Posted from my Note 5
    Arunabha Goswami likes this.
    11-23-2015 04:45 AM
    General lack of awareness is the biggest problem microsoft has to address to.
    Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
    Now I'm confused. Is the biggest problem awareness or that nobody is holding a gun to people's heads?

But maybe a two pronged approach would work.
    Skyway likes this.
    11-23-2015 05:11 AM
    Insecure much?

Posted from my Note 5
    Why? I'm just saying nobody is forcing anyone to buy the 950. His opinion was that MS should get their **** together and that these phones are not flagships when they clearly are. They're just not the flagshipes HE wants..
    ven07, tangledW and MAHAD93 like this.
    11-23-2015 05:20 AM
    Now I'm confused. Is the biggest problem awareness or that nobody is holding a gun to people's heads?

But maybe a two pronged approach would work.
    I sure can se panos Panay holding a gun to peoples heads :P
    tangledW, ven07 and Alfa Kapa like this.
    11-23-2015 05:22 AM
    Apple iphones or iDevices are primarily targeted for noobs and even for geeks. So, taking noobs into consideration, they want a device that just works at the end of the day w/o a hitch. Even a kid can use an iDevice because of its ease of use. Windows on the other hand, is a little unfriendly with noobs, but after spending a little time with windows ecosystem, they prefer windows 75% of the time.
    11-23-2015 08:42 AM
64 123