Returning my 950 tomorrow :(

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The competition, however, has become increasingly alluring.

Agree.

I've used a WP for years because the MS ecosystem was far more important to me than other issues. The seamless integration was great. BUT, now that MS has embraced cross-platform applications, all my beloved and necessary programs are available on other phone platforms. Although I give the edge to WP10, there is little to hold one any longer to a Windows phone. I doubt there will be any US market share growth for WPs in the near-term.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
i don't think people ever will.... it will be asked over and over again, because of the way MS announced it.
I think is a "new shiny thing over there" issue. Folks heard about the liquid cooled 950XL and thought: Whoa! I can really impress my (fill in blank) because my phone will be liquid cooled. Dumbness! I agree with Dan. Give it a rest!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Agree.

I've used a WP for years because the MS ecosystem was far more important to me than other issues. The seamless integration was great. BUT, now that MS has embraced cross-platform applications, all my beloved and necessary programs are available on other phone platforms. Although I give the edge to WP10, there is little to hold one any longer to a Windows phone. I doubt there will be any US market share growth for WPs in the near-term.

And Microsoft is ok with that. They've basically accepted that trying to go after the existing consumer base for smartphones in the US is a loss cause. I think their mobile platform will continue to grow functionally, but won't see market share growth for a long time.

Apple had 0% market share before 2007, then suddenly got a big win with the iPhone. They also have grown in PC market share over the past few years. These tech companies are in it for the long hall. This obsession with growth every 6 months is an obsession with tech journalist and stupid share holders. It really has nothing to do with long term strategy and opportunities down the road. For now, it's important that MS just keeps a foot in the door for mobile. Losing that would be very dangerous considering the ever expanding element of that industry segment.

Personally, I'm VERY happy with my 950. I know it won't attract many iPhone or Android users to switch. But for existing Windows fans, it's a fantastic device. And the OS is just as polished if not more than when Windows 10 launched on PC. So I fully expect that within the next 6 months, most of these little bugs will be worked out. Currently it's a far more full featured OS then 8.1.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have had no issues - the 950 runs cooler than my old Lumia Icon.........The Microsoft Store in Manhattan (the new flagship store) was extremely helpful, they processed a warranty claim for my Icon's Broken charger - replaced with a shiny new 950 (always buy the insurance with Microsoft!!) So far, I'm loving it - I am debating whether to swap it for a 950xl now though - if they enabled app snapping, I would go for the XL in a heartbeat. The MS store also was able to port my phone number from Verizon to ATT, activate my new phone, and waited for my old phone to backup, be factory reset, and for the new phone to restore from my Icon. All in all, a great experience!

loko ino

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have been using mine since the 18th when I got it. Only issue I have is the occasional echo on incoming calls. It did get warm when I was playing a game on it but no where near as hot as my 1520 would get after 20 mins. I was on the Preview for all the WP10 builds on my 920 so I was expecting some glitchiness. This is build .11 and it is pretty flawless. There is some lag but hell, check Android and see how that works over time for you. The iris scanning is quick..quicker than me putting in the PIN. Maybe you didn't program it under several conditions and that is why it is so slow for you. This phone pleasantly surprised me, the initial pics of it did not do it justice.
All those who start threads just to complain..I feel like it is just bashing because you want to bash. Who cares if you had to make a phone call to activate your phone. I ordered mine and had to put it together and activate it..waaaah. First world problems. Some folks are never happy no matter what.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I give a hoot, only, about market share. I drive an Audi; to me, it's the best and wouldn't have anything else: Audi's US market share has climbed in recent years to about 1%.
:love:

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm right there with you, uselessrobot. The 1020 is still the best phone I've ever had. There is nothing about Windows 10 or Windows 10 mobile I like. Nothing. The 950 feels and looks as cheap and flimsy as the 635 and 640. And 5.2" screen is just too big. A 5" screen would have been perfect for me. I have a Surface Pro 3, so I don't need a phablet or anything approaching that size. And the camera on the 950 just doesn't beat the 1020, it just doesn't. Low-light pictures are noticeably worse than the same pics I took with the 1020. The only point in favor of the 950 is that it takes pictures quite a bit faster than the 1020 (though I still see lag, especially in low light.

eugarps

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
ScubaDog,

Indeed the 1020 was a phone that was way ahead of its time. If it had dual SIM's and expandable memory, I'd still have mine. It looks like I'll have to put up short of RFM OS..... Eek!

Bill

harmon rabb

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm on the 5th day with my Lumia 950. All-in-all, it's not a bad phone. Unlike most, I like the design and the OS hasn't really giving me major problems. It's mostly just the ongoing stream of annoyances, and occasional issues. Nevertheless, the entire time I've been wrestling with the idea of returning the phone; the Nexus 5X being the likely replacement.

I realized that, had I never owned a Windows Phone I'd probably think the 950 and Windows 10 is pretty good. Assuming, of course, you approach the platform with an open mind and ignore the app store situation.

The catch is that I've stuck with the OS for 3 years and I'm aware of the history prior to that. Microsoft is starting over for the third time in 5 years. While I realize that it's not a true reset, from the perspective of consumers and developers it nearly is. In that time both Android and iOS have seen mostly incremental updates. Those updates haven't brought about upheaval, relatively speaking, and have allowed Google and Apple to focus on refinement. Not that they're perfect, by any stretch, but they're a lot further along and offer more robustness in a few key areas.

So I can't escape the feeling that I'm back in 2012 with my Lumia 920. While I'm confident that Microsoft will work to improve Windows 10 I don't want to be stuck in the same situation a year or two from now. It's very tough, because I still believe that the OS than the competition in many ways. The competition, however, has become increasingly alluring.
I use both Windows phone and Android. Both have jumped the shark and become less polished than they once were. Don't forget that android took one step forward with lollipop and about 15 steps back, and Marshmallow on my Nexus 5x doesn't seem to have fixed much.

Maybe I should go back to a flip phone.

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been very happy with my 950. The sale and activation was as smooth as possible. My phone gets warm, but not any hotter than other phones I've used. W10 still needs some work - mostly built-in apps, but overall I find it stable, fast, and pleasant to use. The podcast app let me down. I downloaded some podcasts for a road trip and none of them would play. The photos from the trip were great though!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine too got warm, but only during the initial setup. It's been rather cool since I purchased it 4 days ago.

That is what they all do but people keep trying to use them while the phone is configuring settings. When the process fails, its a weakness with the phone.