Anyone had SD card problems? exFAT Issues?

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else had issues with their micro SD card in their Lumia 950?

I bought a 64GB Lexar from Amazon and installed it before first using the phone. When I started downloading offline maps, the phone locked up and the downloads froze. After a few more tries, nothing was recognizable on the SD card anymore.

Pulled the card out and check it on my desktop, and it was unreadable. I then formatted it NTFS since it’s not going to be ejected live anyway. Reinserted it, and I haven’t had any issues yet.

Today, my wife’s 950 was acting up really bad with several of her apps (SD Card installed). She has a new PNY 64GB card that I bought her. I took that card out, and my desktop immediately popped up the card had errors on it. I was able to access it, but I wiped it cleaned and reformatted it NTFS as well.

So far, no more issues on either phone.

Is exFAT a lot more vulnerable to errors or lock ups? If so, NTFS seems a lot more stable so far. I’ll see if anything else crops up, but if anyone is having issues with their phone, you might want to check your SD card first before returning your phone.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like a good idea to format cards to NTFS before putting it into the phone for the first time. Good looking out.

sandman

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hm.. When I popped in my new PNY card yesterday I formatted it using the phone. So far no issues, but I'll keep an eye out.

Johnny Loo

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issued. I tried two different SD cards. Whenever I tried save any file to the SD card in the 950XL, the phone reboot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99