The Lumia 950 is an absolute embarrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
re: Is the Lumia 950 an embarrassment?

A smartphone consists of hardware and software. When you buy a phone as expensive as the L950 you expect to have minimal issues out of the box.
Only the biggest of fans are going to keep their phone until it becomes usable :winktongue:

I hope the L950 is a redpill for the Android naysayers on this forum... I don't think Nokia would have accepted this level of incompetency.

pechio

May 19, 2013
Visit site

I am on Verizon and I didn't notice any problems with the 950... thanks Microsoft.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Previously had the Lumia 900 which has been my all time favorite phone....

It has been 3 days with the phone and this is not the windows phone of the past. This has so many bugs and is way more frustrating to function.

I feel ya bro. The 900 was my favorite WP as well. I'm rockin' a L920 on 8.1 now. I also had a Blackberry Z3 for a while. Agreed - I grew to like it a lot as well..

about the 950 and WP (Win Mobile)...Is the 900 your last WP until ur 950? Harsh transition if so...Regardless of the technical issues (which I don't doubt) I can tell you that I hated W10M as well. I had it for a bit on the Insiders Program and couldnt stand it. It wasnt the tech issues, it was the new W10M look and feel of the OS..Its just not the smooth, elegant OS that W7.5 - 8.1 had. People tell me that W10M is so much better, has more and better features an that its the future...Well, its not. Sorry. Anyone who appriecates good design and integration can relate.

Anyway, sorry its a letdown. I'd stick with it a bit longer to see if you can iron out the glitches and get better accustoned to it...If not Lumia 920s and 1020's are cheap! For me, I'm sticking with my 920 on W8.1 until they turn the power off..

good luck!

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Are you saying you successfully activated a Lumia 950 on the Verizon post paid network?
No, he's joking, he didn't notice any problems on Verizon because you can't get one on Verizon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I have more faith in the 950XL as that is the one that most employees were using. So firmware/optimization is likely better on it as they likely found quirky bugs while using them.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

I have more faith in the 950XL as that is the one that most employees were using. So firmware/optimization is likely better on it as they likely found quirky bugs while using them.

i highly doubt that. considering the difference of about a week, i would say the 950 and 950XL have the exact same build of Windows 10, errors and bugs and all.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I've mentioned elsewhere on this site, that the current insider build is ok for insiders that are expecting issues, and even then it can be frustrating at times, but to release this build to the general public was not a good idea.

I too have notification issues, I very rarely get notifications on my lockscreen (though i do sometimes from some apps), though the live tiles seem to work ok. I also had issues where I had to explicitly add several apps including Microsofts own Outlook Mail app to the "allowed background tasks" list, surely this app in particular should automatically be allowed to run in the background without any user configuration. Also, if you configure it to collect every 15 mins, if you don't also find the setting to allow it to run as a background task, it still won't collect. This is too much for any new user to the platform to have to deal with.

Forgot to mention, this is on my L930. The last build had a few less issues for me.

Last edited:

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I love when posts like this pop up from users with single post counts. I'm calling shenanigans.

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

I love when posts like this pop up from users with single post counts. I'm calling shenanigans.

But he has the exact same issues as many insiders on the same OS build with other Lumia's, so there's not really much of a reason to doubt him.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

But he has the exact same issues as many insiders on the same OS build with other Lumia's, so there's not really much of a reason to doubt him.

No issues the first time and silent poster is writing about here.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Well went in to att store last night .... 950 is super light ! It does feel a bit plasticky but it is the lightest phone I've ever held but the screen is only ok I think my 1520 is a bit crispier. Good over all but not of the chain like my 6s plus but also not as pricy . But for ms flagship? Not sure...

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

I am not doubting that there are not problems; however, I think that you raise a valid point. The OP has only one post, and has yet to respond to the thread that s/he created. This could possibly indicate a red flag.

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

I could go through and pick out problems as well and say I'm having them. My point is when you have a single post and it's doing nothing but flaming a device, and you're not ACTIVE in the thread you started... the odds are heavily against you in having a legitimate problem. That's why I called shenanigans.

jefbeard911

May 28, 2012
Visit site

Maybe he's not ACTIVE because some people like to make fun of others who are new?

Careful...with only 290 posts and barely double digit likes given (11) you're not much of a contributor either.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

but it does seem iffy...

If you bought a new device and it wasn't working the way you expected, most people would either return it or reach out. the OP did reach out, but then nothing. Maybe he did make up the whole this, or maybe he returned it. hell, he could have been abducted by aliens.

Post count "should" mean nothing, but if you start a topic as your very 1st post, complaining about a device you just bought, and disappear off the face of the earth, it does seem suspicious.

Now, I am not saying the op made it all up to troll the forums, but I can say some people are having issues, others are not. Luckily, I am not :)

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site

You know you're totally right. If you really don't like it bring it back. In a month or two I bet most of those problems are fixed (Doubt so), we're talking about Microsoft here. But they changed their strategic plan. But I can imagine how mad you are right now.

Microsoft is actually VERY quick and fixing things.... Apple on the otherhand is super slow. and when they do fix it, its still broken, or broke something else..

Windows 8.1 released.. big bug was fixed in 2 months. iOS big bugs fixed in 7-8 months...

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Ok, your reasoning is sound. We'll see if he/she ever returns.

I'll likely still get a 950 at some point myself anyway :)

Last edited:

Loiselle

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Maybe he's not ACTIVE because some people like to make fun of others who are new?

Careful...with only 290 posts and barely double digit likes given (11) you're not much of a contributor either.

First off, at no point did I make fun of the OP. All I did was simply state the opinion of something doesn't add up. And looking at the OP's profile, there's a lot that supports what I'm getting at. He joined on 11/23/2015, made his 1st post on 11/23/15 @ 7:44 AM, and hasn't been back to the site since 8:17 AM of that morning.

And what does MY post count and "likes" I've given out have to do with it? I don't visit the forums often, but if I find something I can use, or find something I like, I give respect where it's due.

And, I'd like to believe I've contributed plenty. I was also mentioned in this blog post about Lumia 920 cases by Nokia. I was a month ahead of the article written.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Well went in to att store last night .... 950 is super light ! It does feel a bit plasticky but it is the lightest phone I've ever held but the screen is only ok I think my 1520 is a bit crispier. Good over all but not of the chain like my 6s plus but also not as pricy . But for ms flagship? Not sure...

There is no way a 6" 1080x1920 display is as crisp as a 5.2" 1440x2560. The ppi (pixels per inch) is what determines how 'crisp' a display looks and with only 367, the 1520 significantly lags behind the 950's 564.

Also, the iPhone 6s plus has a 5.5" 1080 display. Again, nowhere near as crisp as the 950.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss