The Lumia 950 is an absolute embarrassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

JmpnJeronimo

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
re: Is the Lumia 950 an embarrassment?

How did you guys get WIN10 on your 920? I thought 920's didn't like it.. care to enlighten me, is it a tough process?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

How did you guys get WIN10 on your 920? I thought 920's didn't like it.. care to enlighten me, is it a tough process?

Just goto the store app and search windows insider app.. you pick preview build option, reboot, goto phone updates and it'll start downloading!

The Rockweiler

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site

I wouldn't waste my time if I legitimately wasn't let down. I don't frequent this forum as much as some of you and I don't feel inclined to. I'm only sharing my experience as I was a huge windows phone supporter. I love the phone itself but the software is just terrible.

The text notifications fixed itself.

The email has yet to sync.

Ive taken pictures and it takes a while for the system to process it so I can't really snap a pic and show it to someone. Also I try to delete it and it wont let me. I have to try multiple times, close out of photos, reopen and try again. Then it says it got deleted but I go to upload a pic to instagram and there is the picture that is nowhere to be found on my phone or on OneDrive, I want it deleted.

Also can't save a picture from email in browser.

Also edge is crap. Sometimes the back button works, other times it takes me to the start menu. Have to click ljnks multiple times sometimes.

Also when I'm typing in edge and I go back up to add something and I click return, it creates a line but then the cursor moves to the bottom.

Also when connected to Bluetooth audio, everytime I get a text now, it interrupts the music and asks me whether to read it or ignore. Neat feature but it can be really annoying as theres no option to shut it off.

I have 14 days since the 20th, if these issues are not resolved...i never thought id say this...but I'm going to iPhone. I liked windows phone before because I could pick it up and I knew it was going to do what I wanted it to do. With this windows 10 its a huge hit or miss and highly frustrating.

Now an having another issue... Sooner, I was connected to my Bluetooth speaker and when click the volume rocker, the drop down menu said I was connected, ok everythjng worked fine. Now that I am disconnected, and with Bluetooth off, I click the volume rocker and the same dropdown menu appears as if I were still using Bluetooth.

Perhaps a reset will fix it but this is unacceptable, I dont expect a phone that requires constant resets to work to cost $600.

As fir hardware, I have some issues with screen sensitivity at times. And the battery drains by 2pm when unplugged 7am.

Last edited:

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

There is no way a 6" 1080x1920 display is as crisp as a 5.2" 1440x2560. The ppi (pixels per inch) is what determines how 'crisp' a display looks and with only 367, the 1520 significantly lags behind the 950's 564.

Also, the iPhone 6s plus has a 5.5" 1080 display. Again, nowhere near as crisp as the 950.

PPI is only part of the story. Go look at a new iPhone 6S. The displays are gorgeous. Evenly lit, razor sharp, excellent balance of color and clarity. These phones did not "need" to be 1440 x 2560 to look great.

DoctorPizza

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

There is no way a 6" 1080x1920 display is as crisp as a 5.2" 1440x2560. The ppi (pixels per inch) is what determines how 'crisp' a display looks and with only 367, the 1520 significantly lags behind the 950's 564.

Also, the iPhone 6s plus has a 5.5" 1080 display. Again, nowhere near as crisp as the 950.

At a reasonable viewing distance, all the displays are at or beyond the limit of visual acuity, and as such have little or no discernible difference in "crispness". Yes, the 950 display is beautiful. But so are many others.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

Also when connected to Bluetooth audio, everytime I get a text now, it interrupts the music and asks me whether to read it or ignore. Neat feature but it can be really annoying as theres no option to shut it off.

Yes, there is. Cortana/Notebook/Settings... [Read texts aloud]

At a reasonable viewing distance, all the displays are at or beyond the limit of visual acuity, and as such have little or no discernible difference in "crispness".

I find this to be patently false, much like the claims that the human eye cannot see the difference between 30fps and 60fps, or that humans cannot tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on anything less than a 32" monitor. There's a reason why 300dpi is the baseline for print, and some people even publish at 600dpi. It because we can tell the difference, even if we can't jump up and down and point to each individual pixel.

But I can't prove it, just 'feel' it.

I will grant you there's a lot more to how nice a screen looks than the ppi, though... however, the L950' screen is startlingly good. Not as good IMO as the S6 Edge, but still jaw-droppingly good.

Last edited:

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

Your opinion. I own a 1520 and iPhone and literally live next door to att. So for me display does not pop out at me like my 1520 or 6s plus it's ok though.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Your opinion. I own a 1520 and iPhone and literally live next door to att. So for me display does not pop out at me like my 1520 or 6s plus it's ok though.

Stats are not opinions, they are facts. The fact is the 950 has a lot higher pixel density. There is no denying or arguing that. You can not like it all you want, but the 950 has a much crisper display. Period.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

Stats are not opinions, they are facts. The fact is the 950 has a lot higher pixel density. There is no denying or arguing that. You can not like it all you want, but the 950 has a much crisper display. Period.

But people will always make their perception into a wannabe fact. Some dislike OLED at all and some love it, sadly we have to accept that we cannot make any objective statements about a display apart from reciting the technical data or measurable data.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
But people will always make their perception into a wannabe fact. Some dislike OLED at all and some love it, sadly we have to accept that we cannot make any objective statements about a display apart from reciting the technical data or measurable data.

That's all I was doing, I never once stated anyone's opinion was wrong. People don't have to like the way the display looks, it was just incorrect to say a lower resolution larger display is more crisp then a smaller higher resolution display.

The problem is most people confuse things like pixel density with the way a display 'pops', they mix technical data with subjective data.

Last edited:

The Rockweiler

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm returning the 950. I do not recommend it. The OS is not anywhere near to par to any other. Windows phone OS once used to be smooth, reliable, functional. It's now a laggy, unreliable embarrassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers