Has anyone figured out how to create separate email accounts and live tiles?

Gary Tanner

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I love how the 920 and 1020 would let me link certain email accounts and relabel them. I linked my two personal accounts (G mail and Outlook) and renamed them as "personal email", then I kept my work email as a separate account. I could pin them as two different live tiles on the start page. It was great. So far, I have not been able to do this with the 950. Is this a "lost feature"? I hope not, please bring that back.

Gary Tanner

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I did that when I first got the phone. However, it does not pin just the chosen account to the start page, it pins all accounts to the start page. If you try that, then open the new live tile, then go to the hamburger menu in the top left corner, you will see that all your accounts are included, not just the one account you were trying to pin. Additionally, when you get an email, notifications show up in both the original live tile and the new live tile. The net effect is that it just duplicated the original all-accounts email live tile, but give the new live tile the name of the email account you pinned.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It is the same app no matter which tile you open it with. Opening with a pinned account tile simply opens the app at that account, you can still navigate to other accounts. Once it's open, some people might find it more convenient to use the hamburger rather than backing out and tapping the other tile(s). Both actions work so use whichever is more convenient to you.

If you pin all your separate accounts, the logical thing to do would be to unpin the original tile that has the combined notifications. Once you have multiple accounts pinned you will see different numbers for each one displaying the number of unread items in each. (myself, I have four email accounts, I pinned each one, unpinned the original, and put all four in a group)

Your original question mentioned combining a few accounts but not all of them. That feature was there for a while, they found a bug and reverted it out temporarily. It will be back.

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
As stated, all your email accounts come into a single app. Open the app with any email account and tap the hamburger menu in the upper left corner. Each of your installed email accounts will be listed. You can pin it to the start menu by long tapping on any of those email accounts.

Gary Tanner

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I did that and I still get three live tiles with all accounts tied to the three live tiles. I cant separate the accounts as I could before.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have this working. The way I set it up was to open Outlook from the apps menu. Then, I opened my Hotmail inbox. Then, hit the three ... at the bottom of the screen and select Pin to Start. I then went back to the Outlook app in the apps menu, opened my work email inbox and did the same thing...hit the three dots and pinned to start. I now have two tiles on my start screen for my separate inboxes. Both work flawlessly.

Jopl

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I tried all of these things, and sure you can create the new pinned icon, and when you click on the new icon it brings you to the new account, however when you click on the original outlook one it opens to the whatever account was opened last, which is sort of useless.

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Unpin the original outlook icon and setup two new icons as per the instructions above. I too had the same behavior until I unpinned the original Outlook icon and created two brand new icons as outlined above.

Gary Tanner

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
That works in a round about way. it doesn't pin just the selected account to the start page. I have pinned both my personal accounts (gmail and outlook) and my work account to the start page. Then I deleted the original outlook live tile from the start page. the three new live tiles still include all three accounts. The work account live tile opens to the work account, but the two personal accounts are still there also. the same holds true for the two personal accounts. Pinning them to the start page separately designates them as the primary account, but it does not separate them from the other accounts. But at least the new mail notifications are specific to the primary account pinned, so that part is good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb