Worth switching from Verizon?

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the area now, with Verizon & AT&T phones. I see no difference.

AT&T basically has every metro area covered, it's the more rural areas that Verizon has it beat.

What about down in the metro tunnels? When I lived there Verizon worked in the tunnels, ATT did not. Maybe that's changed? Not a deal breaker, but it was convenient.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
If you had the Icon, id say its not quite worth it - you could wait. But the 735......man, switch it up. I had the Icon, and would have kept it, but i had broken the charge port, and was able to use my Microsoft Complete insurance to file a claim, and I argued for the 950 as a replacement. They wanted to give me the HTC One - but I adamantly refused, and told them to give me my 599$ back that I spent on the Icon 22 months ago, or to repair it. The phone was not in production anymore, and they didn't have the parts available to fix it, so for 50$, i got myself a new 950. Its pretty awesome - other than the retina scanner, and how thin and light it is, I don't really notice much of a difference between this and the Icon. Its fast, but so was the Icon, the Camera is amazing, but i feel like the Icon was pretty close with it on an image quality level.

tanders04#WN

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If you had the Icon, id say its not quite worth it - you could wait. But the 735......man, switch it up. I had the Icon, and would have kept it, but i had broken the charge port, and was able to use my Microsoft Complete insurance to file a claim, and I argued for the 950 as a replacement. They wanted to give me the HTC One - but I adamantly refused, and told them to give me my 599$ back that I spent on the Icon 22 months ago, or to repair it. The phone was not in production anymore, and they didn't have the parts available to fix it, so for 50$, i got myself a new 950. Its pretty awesome - other than the retina scanner, and how thin and light it is, I don't really notice much of a difference between this and the Icon. Its fast, but so was the Icon, the Camera is amazing, but i feel like the Icon was pretty close with it on an image quality level.

If you're having issues with the iris scanner, someone posted a great tip on hear the other day. Look at the Microsoft logo when unlocking and you should see a noticeable improvement in speed and accuracy. I've been much happier with the feature after that.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

How exactly did $50 get you the 950? Did they give you your money back and you added $50 to it to buy the 950? Or did they give you an offer to purchase a 950 for $50? Or what?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah the 1520 and ICON are still great phones. The 950 & 950 XL don't exactly beat them into the dust either.

From the camera samples I've seen, the photos aren't extremely better, they're just a little better. Though the triple LED flash looks interesting and promising. Also the move from 1080p to 2k on such small screens isn't really noticeable in my opinion but if they didn't go with 2k then that would've just been another negative thing for people to be screaming about right alongside the "boring design", which luckily seems to be the only common first glance complaint prior to the in depth reviews that'll comes as it's released into consumer hands. Lastly considering this is Windows we're talking about, the OS probably isn't going to be too much different on either the 950, 1520, or ICON. My ICON (currently listed in the marketplace btw) is just almost as smooth as a phone could possibly be running Windows 10 and considering the fact I'm not even on the last build, it'll only get better.

Also to people who got to use the 950 XL's before being pulled from stores, did anyone else notice how much smaller the phone was inch imprison to the 1520? I still had a 1520 with me when I went and although the screen is really close in size, the overran device seems to be a lot smaller IMHO. Now that's some good Bezel work Microsoft ;D

Last edited:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Man, I went down to the local AT&T store and tried out the 950, I love that phone! I have an Icon on Verizon, but I'm still running 8.1, it's awesome we get a REAL file manager and can attach files to email from Outlook mail app on W10M! I have been missing this from my BlackBerry days. The 950 is WAY nicer in person then the pictures portray. My contract is up next summer, by then maybe Verizon will get cozy with MS and carry this phone, or by then we should have some solid rumors on the Surface phone, or maybe one of the other OEM's will have some awesome offerings. I'm very reluctant to jump back to AT&T after my prior experience with them.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I ended up going to the Microsoft store by me and buying a new 735 and some stuff for it. I'll wait it out and see what comes to Verizon, if anything does at all. I must say though the Microsoft store is awesome. As soon as I went in I was helped immediately by two folk and they even offered me something to drink. They also allowed me to play with a 950 while setting up my guy and it is rather nice, I just can't see switching yet for it. If anybody is switching carriers for it, I suggest going to a Microsoft store if you have one by you. Very fast service and incredibly nice folk whom obviously aren't biased like carrier reps are.

GoodEyeSniper83

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the input everybody! I'm just annoyed because I have the windows 10 preview on my 735 and it's so buggy! I want to go back to 8.1 but the recovery tool won't work leaving me stuck with this mess.

Why didn't the recovery tool work? I have a 735 running W10 mobile and I'm seriously considering switching back to 8.1.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Good luck bud, let me know how it works out for you hahaha. For me it said "package is not available for this device." I contacted both Microsoft and Verizon both of which told me to buy a new phone or deal with it.

Why didn't the recovery tool work? I have a 735 running W10 mobile and I'm seriously considering switching back to 8.1.

HOTDAWG

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I switched for 950xl, but coverage issues aside, I'm actually glad. Customer service is better, website more user friendly, our bill is smaller.

GoodEyeSniper83

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Good luck bud, let me know how it works out for you hahaha. For me it said "package is not available for this device." I contacted both Microsoft and Verizon both of which told me to buy a new phone or deal with it.

That's just wonderful. Getting the 735 was a huge ordeal bc the first one I bought was a dud. Sent it back within 14 days and Verizon tried to charge me for another phone. Took 3 months to resolve.

I'm probably going to get another Android for daily use and keep the 735 on hand for whenever MS releases a usable OS.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I currently have a 735 with Verizon which I like. I must say though the 950 has been making me consider jumping ship. What do you 950 owners think? Is it worth it or nay? Or should I wait to see if by chance Verizon releases their own? Snow balls chance in hell though that'll happen...
I upgraded from the 830 to the 950. Initially at first it was hard to bite the bullet. But to me it was worth it. This is my main device. I rarely make it to a PC out tablet. If I used a PC or tablet a lot more I probably would have stuck with the 830. That bring said... I love this phone.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
It's ridiculous their software won't work and won't do anything for us. They did say maybe its the build and an update could fix it but they don't know whether there will be any ore more updates. What good is that?

That's just wonderful. Getting the 735 was a huge ordeal bc the first one I bought was a dud. Sent it back within 14 days and Verizon tried to charge me for another phone. Took 3 months to resolve.

I'm probably going to get another Android for daily use and keep the 735 on hand for whenever MS releases a usable OS.

GoodEyeSniper83

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
It's ridiculous their software won't work and won't do anything for us. They did say maybe its the build and an update could fix it but they don't know whether there will be any ore more updates. What good is that?

I have not done the most recent update. I might try the recovery tool tonight. I'll let you know if it recognizes my device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786