[Quick Impressions] Continuum with the Display Dock

Deofol

May 30, 2014
Visit site
So the display dock arrived today, and I'm currently docked in, streaming spotify and browsing forums on the big screen (in fact writing this post from continuum).

First impressions: This is the future, I can see in 3 years not needing a desktop and/or tablet unless you do some type of production (Audio or video) or development (Ie. Visual Studio). I would like to see wireless displays speed up, and you could have a Surface Display that was more less a dumb terminal for the phone, maybe with a onboard GPU for additional processing power.

Performance: Its not great. Given this is the first iteration of this; and it does actually function on most modern websites, I'm impressed. If you have too many phone apps running, be pre-paired for wierd lags in mouse scrolls, and keyboard input. Is it acceptable for me, yes. My wife I think would get frustrated. For me I understand this is the first time in history anything like this has been actually acomplished, and to be honest, its pretty dang neat.

Final thoughts: I'm impressed, knowing the depths of effort this took, I can only say its going to get better, and as a start, it's impressive. I look forward to seeing more applications take advantage of the universal application framework, and I also am interested to find some games that can run under continuum.

That and right click spelling check in Edge would be nice. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss