Anyone here have an external Bluetooth GPS receiver with Lumia 950?

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Will the Lumia 950 work with an external Bluetooth GPS receiver? When I travel, I may have no data and the internal GPS receiver may not work as well as an external Bluetooth GPS receiver. This will be especially useful when combined with the offline mapping capability of the WM10 platform.

ericloewe

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I may have no data and the internal GPS receiver may not work as well as an external Bluetooth GPS receiver
How'd you arrive at that conclusion? It'll need a while longer to get an initial estimate of your location, but it's otherwise just like any GPS receiver.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
No one here knows?

I'd say unlikely. An external BT GPS will be a NMEA SPP device. Unless software can interpret and open that, it's not likely to work.

As already mentioned, the internal GPS will not require a cellular connection to work. That is for AGPS only. The internal receiver will just have a cold start GPS time, like any external received would and will provide GPS mapping when roaming without cellular data.

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I'd say unlikely. An external BT GPS will be a NMEA SPP device. Unless software can interpret and open that, it's not likely to work.

As already mentioned, the internal GPS will not require a cellular connection to work. That is for AGPS only. The internal receiver will just have a cold start GPS time, like any external received would and will provide GPS mapping when roaming without cellular data.

Almost all Android devices can work with an external Bluetooth receiver.

Regardless, it seems like you're just making an assumption and assumptions are not facts. It would be great if someone is able to test this.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Almost all Android devices can work with an external Bluetooth receiver.

Regardless, it seems like you're just making an assumption and assumptions are not facts. It would be great if someone is able to test this.

Almost all Android devices can work with an external GPS receiver only when a third party and sometimes side-loaded app is installed. There are technical reasons for this, the most basic being that an OS doesn't know that a device is a GPS device so you have to add some software glue.

It doesn't work on Windows 10 Desktop without additional third party software being installed so it stands no chance of working on Windows Mobile.

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Almost all Android devices can work with an external GPS receiver only when a third party and sometimes side-loaded app is installed. There are technical reasons for this, the most basic being that an OS doesn't know that a device is a GPS device so you have to add some software glue.

It doesn't work on Windows 10 Desktop without additional third party software being installed so it stands no chance of working on Windows Mobile.

You're right, I do need to install a third party app in order to use an external Bluetooth GPS receiver with an Android device.

Which third party software will allow me to do this with Windows 10 Desktop?

In the past with Windows Phone 8.1, were there any apps that worked with an external Bluetooth GPS receiver?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett