75% battery drain overnight

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
As the title says. Went to bed with 75% battery last night. Woke up this morning to a completely dead phone. I had just closed out of all apps before going to bed.

This is unfortunately going to be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I can't in my right mind pay $600 for a device that I have to keep plugged in all the time.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I closed out of all running apps. I don't feel that with a flagship smartphone when smartphones have been around more than a decade that I should need to turn off NFC and go into my settings to disable everything every time I don't want the phone to drain 3/4 of its battery in an 8 hour period while in standby.

The only apps I have installed are Facebook, Wells Fargo, MSN Weather and NFL Fantasy Football.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
In the settings, Is Facebook allowed to run in the background? Facebook allowed to run in the background eats battery life even when you think its closed.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is unfortunately going to be the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I can't in my right mind pay $600 for a device that I have to keep plugged in all the time.

Then return it and get your money back. If you need help... fine. There's no point in moaning.

P.s. EVERY phone has to be configured. Next you'll complain that Bluetooth is left ON which reduces battery life

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I closed out of all running apps. I don't feel that with a flagship smartphone when smartphones have been around more than a decade that I should need to turn off NFC and go into my settings to disable everything every time I don't want the phone to drain 3/4 of its battery in an 8 hour period while in standby.

The only apps I have installed are Facebook, Wells Fargo, MSN Weather and NFL Fantasy Football.

That's with any phone apps will run in the background. Go in settings and disable the background apps u don't need constantly running in the background. Facebook is a battery drainer on android and iPhone as well

Sent from mTalk

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Then return it and get your money back. If you need help... fine. There's no point in moaning.

P.s. EVERY phone has to be configured. Next you'll complain that Bluetooth is left ON which reduces battery life

I'm not stupid. I know and understand the correlation between radios and battery life. My gripe is that at the end of 2015, a flagship smartphone should be able to maintain a decent mix of performance and battery life, especially so during nighttime hours when it's not in use.

Letting Facebook sync in the background or keeping Bluetooth on does not have as large an impact on battery life as you are making it seem. Maybe a couple extra percent here and there. Guess how many apps I have on my iPhone 6S? 132... And every one of them that can sync in the background does. I also leave NFC and Bluetooth on all the time with two push emails, and I lose 6-10% during sleep hours with those settings.

The Lumia 950 is just plain not optimized, and it shows. THAT is my point. Nothing more and nothing less. I am a huge fan of WP and of MS. I buy probably 4-5 phones a year. This one is not even close to prime time ready.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Just FYI, there might be something wrong with your phone. My L950 only drops about 10-15% overnight. It was worse the first night I had it, but It's much better now.

*edit: Just wanted to add, I haven't done anything to try and attempt to optimize battery life yet. I've got everything running and listening at max NSA friendly settings, including Cortana. Though I did shut off FB notifications mainly because they are annoying. I also have Windows Hello turned off just because I don't like it.

Daniel B1

Nov 26, 2014
Visit site
Went to bed with 75% battery last night. Woke up this morning to a completely dead phone. I had just closed out of all apps before going to bed.
And what did Battery Saver->Usage show had consumed the majority of the power?

How long did it take to recharge the phone to a usable level, say 50%?
And how long would that have taken you on any other phone that you might buy?

If it does it every day in a row, complain. If it happened once, it could be an anomaly - background updates, perhaps.
I'm not saying what happened is acceptable, all I'm saying is "a device that I have to keep plugged in all the time" may be an extreme over-exaggeration. Find out why it did it, then if it really is just a quirk of the phone, find out if it's a common problem with other users. THEN make the "broke the camel's back" statement and take your phone back for a refund, or depending on how patient and reasonable a person you are, perhaps even for exchange under warranty.

By the way, if you're really done with the 950, FYI: Lumia 640s are $29.99 at Best Buy tomorrow and they'll be running Windows 10 Mobile by this time next month. Their battery life is excellent.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm not stupid. I know and understand the correlation between radios and battery life. My gripe is that at the end of 2015, a flagship smartphone should be able to maintain a decent mix of performance and battery life, especially so during nighttime hours when it's not in use.

Letting Facebook sync in the background or keeping Bluetooth on does not have as large an impact on battery life as you are making it seem. Maybe a couple extra percent here and there. Guess how many apps I have on my iPhone 6S? 132... And every one of them that can sync in the background does. I also leave NFC and Bluetooth on all the time with two push emails, and I lose 6-10% during sleep hours with those settings.

The Lumia 950 is just plain not optimized, and it shows. THAT is my point. Nothing more and nothing less. I am a huge fan of WP and of MS. I buy probably 4-5 phones a year. This one is not even close to prime time ready.

What sense does it make to think you can do the same thing across multiple devices with different os's? Just because you can do it on your iPhone doesn't mean you should be able to do it on android or W10M. They are all different and have to be treated as such.

That's like complaining that your dodge viper doesn't get as good of mileage as your corvette. Both sports cars, but totally different setup and components used which creates different experiences.

You can't blame one for not being like the other. Learn each devices strengths and weaknesses. To sit here and complain about it just seems juvenile.

awesomeindeed

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It's nothing like that. And yes, I can blame them for not being somewhat alike in terms of performance, especially when one out specs the other, and the company that released it chose the hardware and wrote the OS for it.

My point is that sacrificing default features to achieve acceptability is not an answer, and no matter how big of a ****** you are or aren't, you should never think that that's OK. What seems juvenile is to defend a company for clearly releasing a beta product as a finished one under the guise that it's "for fans of Windows Phone."

I have been a fan of Windows Phone since the very beginning and I probably have more experience using more devices on more platforms than most of the people here. When I spend my money on a product, I'm going to report my findings. I referenced my iPhone 6S because that's what I have been using as a daily driver. Is it perfect? No. Are there things I hate about it? Absolutely. Do I think I should expect the exact same thing from a Windows Phone? No, but I expect them to perform somewhat similarly as modern day flagships.

By the way, the culprit was "Windows Default Lock Screen" using 65.8% of the battery. Right behind that was "Messaging" using 18%. Unacceptable in my eyes. I didn't get to post this until now because I didn't have time to throw the phone on the charger. The phone died, alarm never went off and I had to swap SIM cards to my iPhone and run out the door. Doesn't matter how quickly it charges when it fails to perform.

I don't need the 640. I have a 640XL and an 830, and also still occasionally use my 1520 and 1020 depending on what I'm doing.

For those of you experiencing nothing but good things with yours, that's awesome. I'm hoping this one is a fluke and am still going to exchange it to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, then yes, it will have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I just hope Microsoft is able to stay on their chosen path and release quality devices, because as much as I like Windows Phone, people who aren't already fans will never make the switch.

Radek Jahoda

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
If Windows Default Lock Screen was the most "hungry" proccess I would recommend to check settings of lockscreen.
Maybe change lockscreen image to Bing and remove all shortcuts from lockscreen for a day. And then check the power consumtion in few hours. If it will be OK than try to add basic shortcuts as phone,messaging,email and calendar.
It might be possibble that some of your application is forcing lockscreen to not sleep when display is turned off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon