Custom ringtone

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone gotten custom ringtones to work on the 950?

If so what program did you use and in what method did you get the audio file on your phone?

Celticg

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Just download a audio file (I use MP3), plug your phone into the computer and just drag into the Ringtones folder. No program needed.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone 8 had a 30 second limit for ringtones. Files that are longer will be ignored. I'd assume the same with 10. All of my ringtones restored and work fine from my 920 to 830 to my 950.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Strange I copied them from from 1520 to 950 using cables and they don't work.
Copy them from a folder on pc and to 950 they work.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've tried copying music files from one phone to another, it hasn't worked. I've had to copy them to my computer first, then onto the second phone. It would make sense that ringtones would be the same. I do think in WP 8.1 and 10 they've dropped the 30 second limit for ringtones, I can put a whole .mp3 song for a ringtone. The playback will be truncated when the call rolls to voice mail, but I don't need to shorten the ringtone before using it.

jbowyer1

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I copied from the Music folder in the SD card in the phone, didn't work. Copied from folder on computer, worked. Very strange.

MS changed the ringtone format in W10M from the MP3s used in WP8 to M4Rs (iPhone ringtone format!) in W10M. When you copy an MP3, WMA, etc. from your PC to the Ringtones folder on your W10M phone, it automatically converts the file to M4R format, which is why the phone then sees it as a ringtone.

No clue why they made this format change, though it'd probably be a good Windows Feedback suggestion to ask that they add a feature to File Explorer to convert MP3s to M4R ringtones, so you don't have to use a PC to do it.

They removed the 30 second limit, with the only limitations now being that the file isn't DRM-protected and is under 30mb in size.

shaunydub

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually my mp3 files are still mp3 files, none have been converted.
As Sandy Goodman found you have to copy from pc to phone ringtones folder.
If you try and copy from one phone to another directly plugged in to laptop for example it won't work. If you copy to SD card then from SD card to new phone it won't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs