11-29-2015 04:44 PM
67 123
tools
    The one thing most people agreed in any review is that continuum is cool and it has a futuristic vibe to it.
    You had a very objective and clear rebuttal on Gizmodo or Engadget's 950 review, unless someone stole your thunder via screenname.
    Krystianpants likes this.
    11-28-2015 06:06 PM
    And I have the black 950XL it looks nice and premium.
    I personally care more about the function, since the looks are nearly entirely a result of the case the phone is buried in. I can't tell what most phones really look like (or even what phone it is) because virtually everyone I see uses a case, and those that don't have a cracked screen ruining any premium look. In any case, I was raised to ignore what other people think about what you are wearing or using. The only important thing is whether it suits you. On that note, polycarbornate backs and/or the case feel much better, provide better grip, and offer protection. I am old enough to remember when cameras were all metal and one drop would often do them in, whereas today's mostly plastic cameras will survive the same drop unscathed. Very thin metal is not always the best practical choice.
    11-28-2015 06:17 PM
    spec wise, the L950 is closer to the LG G4 than it is to the 5X. L950 is $80 cheaper. Nexus 5X is discontinued and android people didn't like it too much. the nexus 5X launched $80 cheaper than what L950 is launching today. They only shared the same processor and the 5X has the laser autofocus. Other than that, the L950 seems better in every other way.

The L950 could be $50 cheaper to make it more competitive, but its current launch price hardly an amount to claim it is too be considered "expensive for what it is" relative to other phones in the market.
    Discontinued? https://www.google.com/nexus/5x/

It's barely even a month old. It hasn't been discontinued. The 950 has the edge in RAM and screen resolution when compared to the 32 GB 5X, but I'd much rather have the fingerprint scanner than iris recognition (more reliable, easier to use, etc.), and then there's the whole ecosystem thing. 950 is overpriced.
    11-28-2015 07:07 PM
    I got a 64GB Moto X Pure Edition for $499. No it doesn't have iris scanning, but I wouldn't be able to use that feature anyway with my glasses.
    You must have significantly worse eyesight than I do.... And the iris scanner worked fine for me.
    11-28-2015 08:22 PM
    You must have significantly worse eyesight than I do.... And the iris scanner worked fine for me.
    -9.0 diopters, so I have high index plastic lenses with rolled and polished edges.
    11-28-2015 08:25 PM
    11-28-2015 08:28 PM
    I'm ordinarily one to take reviews with a grain of salt, but this one from Gizmodo is terribly unfair:

Lumia 950 Review: Microsoft's Best Ideas Still Don't Fit In Your Hand

I mean, the Lumia 950 is not perfect. It's a great phone, but has serious shortcomings: the app gap, of course, some performance issues (app crashes, heat). Still...this reviewer clearly had an axe to grind. For instance: the camera button often doesn't launch the camera app? The camera app is sluggish? The screen is "small" (while the iPhone 6s's 4.7" screen is seemingly alright)? The battery life is terrible? Puh-lease.

Also, no mention of Windows Hello, which -- love it or hate it -- is a differentiator. No mention of wireless charging. No mention of...well, anything positive outside of the screen's resolution.

Just a badly-written review, obviously coming from someone who hated the assignment (and hated carrying the phone for a week). Grrrrr.
    Wait, you yourself said the phone has shortcomings including temps too hot, and apps crashing. I will not include app gap because that isn't fair since devs haven't had the chance to finish universal apps. BUT, those first 2 aren't enough reasons to stay away from a phone? Stop being so forgiving to MS, either they get it together, or they give up.
    Jonnie LasVegas likes this.
    11-28-2015 10:23 PM
    The difference between Amazon reviewers and Gizmodo, is that the latter is a professional reviewer, which is tasked (and paid) to do an objective review as much as possible without spreading FUD. I am not saying they cannot insert their opinion, but they have to contrast it so readers can tell between findings and personal preferences from the reviewer.

You can read the tone of his review, and that was unequivocally to bash the windows phone, so it never stood a chance.

On the other hand, Engadget seemed fair except for the "expensive for what it is" comment. It is priced to market.
    It can't be priced to market. MS opened the doors on cheap feeling, low cost devices, and that is what everyone expects now. They shot themselves in the foot with that strategy and now they expect people will pay $600 USD for a phone. Not. I too am waiting for E-Bay sales at around $100 for the 950 and then maybe I will buy in. Otherwise, it's just another screen that may or may not be better than my less than $50 640. The OS seems to run pretty well on a cheap device, so why spend the extra $$$?
    11-28-2015 10:29 PM
    For instance: the camera button often doesn't launch the camera app? The camera app is sluggish? The screen is "small" (while the iPhone 6s's 4.7" screen is seemingly alright)? The battery life is terrible? Puh-lease.
    I have all of these problems on my 950. Camera button works to open the app 1 out of 5 tries. Camera is also very sluggish. And battery life is embarrassingly bad.
    11-28-2015 11:31 PM
    I have all of these problems on my 950. Camera button works to open the app 1 out of 5 tries. Camera is also very sluggish. And battery life is embarrassingly bad.
    And you're sure you're not covering/shadowing the proximity sensor which makes the phone think it's in your pocket?
    M7H and TLRtheory like this.
    11-28-2015 11:44 PM
    And you're sure you're not covering/shadowing the proximity sensor which makes the phone think it's in your pocket?
    Positive. Had this problem on all of my Windows Phones thus far.
    11-28-2015 11:49 PM
    Positive. Had this problem on all of my Windows Phones thus far.
    Now that just seems odd. That you would consistently have an issue that most people don't. Are you maybe only pushing it down far enough to hit the first click stage (focus) instead of fully down?
    11-28-2015 11:57 PM
    Zero problems with camera launch here. Pressing into the second stage has launched it from lock into the camera in about one second 100% of the time from about 20 tries.

... that's been pretty consistent with my experience on Lumia 930 and 1520.

It's been fail-free on my 1020, 830 and 520, but I don't have LC5 on those so it still takes time before the camera software is ready to start snapping. It always launches from lock though... 100% of the time on every Windows Phone I own.
    11-29-2015 05:51 AM
    I read through comments to see if there are any real issues I should be worried about after paying 600 bucks for a phone. Nope.
    - Build quality: excellent, especially with less weight (my Icon feels like a brick now).
    -Cursor controller works great: this button is saving me tons of time I'd otherwise spend tapping and touching into just the right spot for editing.
    - Camera launch is flawless.
    - Apps selection: haha! (I have a life AND a browser).
    - Battery life excellent, but then I'm not playing games all night long or running ten thousand apps that I never use.

I had read that second Engadget review before buying the phone, and the worst criticisms were aimed at the OS, so I feel I went into the phone eyes wide open. Maybe I'm just a low-demand user but I really like this phone and feel I got my money's worth.
    geekladyemjay and Joe920 like this.
    11-29-2015 07:47 AM
    Wait, you yourself said the phone has shortcomings including temps too hot, and apps crashing. ...those aren't enough reasons to stay away from a phone? Stop being so forgiving to MS, either they get it together, or they give up.
    I know you weren't talking to me, but I'm going to answer you anyway. No. An app crash every now and then, and some excess heat does not reverse the fact that the other 99% of the time the phone and OS are fantastic.

When the iPhone first came out, it had bugs. It crashed. It had battery issues. It didn't have apps. It took them many years and iterations to get to where they are now. Same with Google. MS is rebooting itself with W10m and it literally JUST came out, so IMO people expecting the performance and features of an 8-year old operating system vs a 1 month old operating system are definitely going to be disappointed... but I think that those people are being completely unrealistic. If you're one of those people, you should not be an early adopter, you should definitely wait for the OS to mature. When it comes to software nowadays, no one ever ships a finished product. They ship a basic and functional structure, and iterate and polish as they go.
    11-29-2015 01:04 PM
    Stopped reading after "It has never had the apps or fluid user experience of Android or iOS". Enough said.
    11-29-2015 02:16 PM
    Maybe I'm just a low-demand user but I really like this phone and feel I got my money's worth.
    I'm not a low-demand user at all and I find this satisfying.

I cringe when I see someone get a ridiculously powerful phone and all they wanna do with it is FB or Snapchat. People say I have a lot on my phone... but that's because it enables me to do so much.

On any given phone I'm constantly using the camera, playing high resouce games, reading, media consumption, social networking, remoting into computers to do light work, using it as my study aide/tasker, playing youtube videos at their highest quality... which gets very demanding on storage and demands a lot of capability.

... and 950's been incredibly satisfying for that.

When the iPhone first came out, it had bugs. It crashed. It had battery issues. It didn't have apps. It took them many years and iterations to get to where they are now. Same with Google. MS is rebooting itself with W10m and it literally JUST came out, so IMO people expecting the performance and features of an 8-year old operating system vs a 1 month old operating system are definitely going to be disappointed... but I think that those people are being completely unrealistic. If you're one of those people, you should not be an early adopter, you should definitely wait for the OS to mature. When it comes to software nowadays, no one ever ships a finished product. They ship a basic and functional structure, and iterate and polish as they go.
    Two notes I'll make here... even in it's polished form, iOS still has performance hiccups... and apps do still crash sometimes (a lot more often in iOS9, I've found).

...and MS isn't entirely just starting from sqaure one here. While W10m is just freshly out, it's still got a legacy of app development backing it dating as far back as WP7.

That in itself has been more detrimental to the health of the platform than anything else. The Verge just recently released a review where they credited iOS for "Hundreds of Thousands" of apps, then dissed the Windows Store even though - by that criteria - it should've also been credited since it does also have hundreds of thousands of apps. It's grown a LOT more than the media/grapevine want to give it credit for.
    11-29-2015 04:44 PM
67 123