My 1 week with the Lumia 950

Steve WWW

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I haven't picked up a 950 yet but I'll share this. I have never, ever activated a Windows Phone without doing a hard reset first. New or used, always do a factory reset. I learned this with WinMo and later, Android.
Thanks for the tip. But why? Surely performing a factory reset on a phone fresh from the factory is redundant -- what sort of problem(s) does performing a factory reset on a fresh phone avoid?

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
On that note, I've continued to have heating issues using and battery drain on mine after getting a replacement. Not as bad as the first one, but still not acceptable. I'm hoping a software update will fix it...and soon.

You need to give it more than a few days. It took me a week and a half for battery life to stabilize and the improvement was massive. I took it off the charger at 8am this morning and as of 5pm it's nearly 72%. This is with the phone connected to my Band, using Telegram on and off throughout the day and roughly 30 minutes playing Spiderman.

Heating is no longer the issue it was on the first few days. The phone still gets warm from time to time, mostly during gaming. It no longer heats up when messing around with the OS. In any case, it's nothing compared to how hot my old 920 got and it cools back down surprisingly quickly.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. But why? Surely performing a factory reset on a phone fresh from the factory is redundant -- what sort of problem(s) does performing a factory reset on a fresh phone avoid?

Ever since I started doing that, I've avoided issues with apps not loading and accounts not syncing properly. It's always a good idea to reset after loading an OS for the first time, regardless of which vendor, and that includes a fresh factory load.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
a simple google/bing should turn up current cost of materials for an iphone.... now the costs have always been estimated based on bulk purchasing the individual parts since apple (well no one) will reveal the cost to build an iphone.... so the numbers can be higher or lower, but, since you seem to think that you know everything based on the stereo-typical comments you have made, i decided to give you ONE link to start.... it's not hard to find this info, so if you want to claim that someone is wrong, then research to PROVE them wrong. Don't just sit there and say everyone is wrong unless they can prove it to you. I am pretty sure you are capable of making your point without generalizations and stereotypes.

Estimated iPhone 6s build cost pegged at $211.50, iPhone 6s Plus at $236

You can't just say stuff and not be able to back it up. As far as your next point, been there done that. For some reason, you assume I know nothing about a search engine. Believe me when I tell you, this thread ain't my first rodeo. So no, I am not going to be chasing every outrageous claim on this or any forum around the internet. All you've discovered and posted are speculation. The kind of stuff you might accept but again, this ain't my first rodeo. Even Cook in the story you posted said: "During Apple's quarterly conference call for the second quarter, Cook said he has never seen an estimated bill of materials breakdown "that's even close to accurate." Who would be in the best position to know the materials cost then Tim Cook? So I'll stand on my earlier comments and with Tim Cook. Which is why I call BS to anyone talking about what these phones cost to build. Sure, they cost less than they are being sold for, but there is a reason and that's business. You/We simply do not know detail on that level. . Moreover, if you are only talking materials list, that isn't even remotely close what it costs to build these phones.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
You can't just say stuff and not be able to back it up. As far as your next point, been there done that. For some reason, you assume I know nothing about a search engine. Believe me when I tell you, this thread ain't my first rodeo. So no, I am not going to be chasing every outrageous claim on this or any forum around the internet. All you've discovered and posted are speculation. The kind of stuff you might accept but again, this ain't my first rodeo. Even Cook in the story you posted said: "During Apple's quarterly conference call for the second quarter, Cook said he has never seen an estimated bill of materials breakdown "that's even close to accurate." Who would be in the best position to know the materials cost then Tim Cook? So I'll stand on my earlier comments and with Tim Cook. Which is why I call BS to anyone talking about what these phones cost to build. Sure, they cost less than they are being sold for, but there is a reason and that's business. You/We simply do not know detail on that level. . Moreover, if you are only talking materials list, that isn't even remotely close what it costs to build these phones.

The point is that they cost a lot more than "pennies" to make.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Those estimates only ever take into account the price of components. They don't factor in all the other things that go into producing and marketing a device; and without insider information it would be a total guess anyway. Even with cheap overseas labor it still costs a lot of money to not only pay workers, but set up tooling and keep the facility running. Additionally, marketing is a considerable expense and Apple spends more on that than most. Then you've got all the staff in Cupertino who've worked on the phone to one degree or another. Sure, research and development is amortized over the life of the phone, but it is a massive expense nonetheless.

At the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised if profit on each phone is in the range of 10%. The one key advantage with Apple is than an iPhone costs the same on day 365 as it did on day 1, whereas everyone else sees significant price drops. So at the end of the day, volume is still important.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site

thing is, Cook didn't say if it was higher or lower. Also i didn't assume you didn't know how to search, but you should as I see nothing backing up your specific claims either. It's kind of selfish and one sided to proclaim something as true and demand others to prove you wrong while at the same time not proving why you are right.

It's rare for a manufacturer to give out the cost to build numbers.... much less with R&D numbers, which DO factor into the cost.. Either way, this thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction... so unless you can back up your claims with specific numbers, then there is no point in carrying on this pointless argument.

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
My 950 has had very good battery life on par with 8.1. To this day, I've never had it crash. Very satisfied with it. Sorry you're having so many problems. Perhaps yours is in need of a hard reset or its defective.

Patiently waiting for your next post that describes all of the issues you have been experiencing. Anyone that uses this phone enough will eventually experience issues

Bri D

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey look, it's someone who apparently represents everyone!

My comment stands. Been a windows phone user for a while... Samsung Focus, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, Lumia 1020 with wp8 then wm10 insider preview, Lumia 950 ATT. Been using my Lumia 950 since 11/18. If you haven't had issues with the 950 yet, you probably just got it, you don't use it enough, or the maybe unlocked version is free of issues?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
thing is, Cook didn't say if it was higher or lower. Also i didn't assume you didn't know how to search, but you should as I see nothing backing up your specific claims either. It's kind of selfish and one sided to proclaim something as true and demand others to prove you wrong while at the same time not proving why you are right.

It's rare for a manufacturer to give out the cost to build numbers.... much less with R&D numbers, which DO factor into the cost.. Either way, this thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction... so unless you can back up your claims with specific numbers, then there is no point in carrying on this pointless argument.

Good you're finally coming around to what I've been saying all along. Good. Me, I don't care that much and I'm not going to spend anymore time on this side issue. Its not the topic.and its not that big of a deal. The mods are already sharpening their blades to perma ban me from Windows Central so I'll leave it here. Peace.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo