Harsh reviews and unexpected comments

Mardox

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
While I'm waiting for my 950 to arrive, I've been reading different reviews around the web for the L950 and even if many big tech-journals' review were harsh or "one-sided" I've noticed that many of the comments were defending the 950 and usually criticizing the reviewers with different well constructed arguments.
Many of these people didn't look like old school WP fans to me but more like normal geek frustrated by the "biased review" and lack of open mind.
You can check your self, just look at the comments in reviews like the ones from the verge ( the worst review IMO) or Engadget (kynda fair one).
I hope I'm not wrong about this feeling this comments are giving to me, if I'm right I hope that it means that people are starting to look for something different form IOS or Android.
What do you think about it?

PS: sorry for the possibles errors, English is not my native language.

Last edited:

Immortal Lobster

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
A lot of these "journalists" all grew up in an era of anti-Microsoft, where Microsoft was the big evil and oppressive regime corporation. The new geeks of today that have time to post comments to reviews have never seen that in their tech influential years, they've not looked at the market through the pc spectacles, only through the lenses of mobile and tablets. In this world it's apple that rules the market, and google that oppresses the market.

The human condition will almost always rout for the underdog, but not everyone sees the underdog the same way.

A lot of my fellow employee who are new hires all come from a different tech cut. They don't use the word google synonymously with search, they just search. I've found that many of them don't even have a PC, and if they do it's a low power unit for at home file storage. They are also all typically fairly open minded as well. This is the group Nadella needs to marke to in the consumer space, and things like continuum do appeal to them, we've had discussions. ;) mostly because they figure, if they can just plug their phone into their TV when they get home, with external storage space, and not have to buy, maintain and upgrade their at home pc, then they could focus more of their finances at buying better phones regularly.

The old anti-Microsoft guard must soon put down it's arms if they are to survive generations y and z.

Last edited:

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
The two biggest complaints I've read are the plastic case and the lack of apps in the windows store. They will knock off a star or two for just those reasons. It's pretty ridiculous when you compare the specs and features of this phone to the iPhone and it competes well for what folks want to do.

Mardox

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
A lot of these "journalists" all grew up in am eta of anti-Microsoft, where Microsoft was the big evil and oppressive regime corporation. The new geeks of today that have time to post comments to reviews have never seen that in their tech influential years, they've not looked at the market through the pc spectacles, only through the lenses of mobile and tablets. In this world out it's apple that rules the market, and google that oppresses the market.

The human condition will almost always rout for the underdog, but not everyone sees the underdog the same way.

A lot of my fellow employee who are new hires all come from a different tech cut. They don't use the word google synonymously with search, they just search. I've found that many of them don't have a PC, and if they do it's a low power unit for at home file storage. They are also all typically fairly open minded as well. This is the group sells needs to market for in the consumer space, and things like continuum do appeal to them, we've had discussions. ;) mostly because they figure, if they can just plug their phone into their TV when they get home, with external storage space, and not have to buy, maintain and upgrade their at home pc, then they could focus more of their finances at buying better phones regularly.

The old anti-Microsoft guard must soon put down it's arms if they are to survive generations y and z.
Your point of view is really enlightening. I know the MS history even if I'm young but what I think is what people ( and companies ) do on the long term and if what they do help society to grow and evolve.
I really hope that people realise that even if W10M is still not finished and lack of apps (sadly sometimes it's undeniable) still remains the only hope for a grow in the mobile market and tech.
Google it's to busy to hold and lock people into their services and not create a wider experience.
Apple have stopped (IMO) to create great design product ( the first ipod and mac book) and just iterate old draws.
MS from it's "last position" is ( right now) the only one that try to create and improve the sector.

Mardox

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
The two biggest complaints I've read are the plastic case and the lack of apps in the windows store. They will knock off a star or two for just those reasons. It's pretty ridiculous when you compare the specs and features of this phone to the iPhone and it competes well for what folks want to do.
The worst part for me is the comparison with the two new nexus phones. they both lack major features compared to the 950/XL but reviewers still value more the nexus to the lumias.
Taking the desing apart both lumia and nexus have policarbonate back cover and still the lumia ones feel cheap.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
There is no denying that these are two valid complaints. I've picked up the new iPhones in the store, they're very solid, well-designed pieces of hardware. Every aspect is well thought out. The plastic back cover of the 950 is not in the same class. Even the back cover of the 830 is better than the back cover of the 950. I do appreciate being able to expand the memory, and having access to the battery, but I would have liked a better cover. As for the apps, this has been an on-going problem for Windows-based phones. There is a huge discrepancy in the number of apps for Windows and for the other two dominant OS's. Microsoft would be much better served if they could establish a common interface, allowing Android apps to run on a Windows-based platform, that would take at least that half of the criticism away.

mageman17

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Personally, I think it's time for another Mojave experiment.

Put up a tent, put some basic instructions on how to use the OS and how easy it is to control, hand phones to people and tell them Microsoft is "forking Android" and is looking for feedback, etc.

Windows phones badly needs an aggressive marketing campaign like the "Smoked by Windows Phone (tm)" campaign.

Nubwy

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
As a side note, comments about how Windows 10 Mobile feels like beta, or is unpolished, I agree. I've noticed a lot home screen lag and touchscreen issues. I've had tiles move themselves without the phone even being on. When I turn it on, the tiles had moved. When scrolling on the home screen, any immediate touch to start an app after you stop scrolling will not work. About 70% of the time this happens. Sometimes the lag is so bad that you hit the app below the one you want. This was rushed.

Halfempty_dg

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm a die hard MS fan (have been promoting WP 8.X since it was first launched) and I'm passing on this. I think the phones themselves are great, and pushing the envelope with Continuum, but WM10 itself is a step backwards for me. Things that made WP different (Glance, Notifications per contact, swiping instead of hamburger menus) is what non-WP people I demoed it to, loved. It was really only the lack of apps that made them stay away. I've been thinking long and hard about what WM10 has over an Android phone now, and I'm not sure if there is anything. Live Tiles themselves are not good enough, but what *can* be pinned vs. Android is just as important.

I must say I'm at a lost at how to respond to "We made this for the die hards". I'm one of those, and am not happy. Like I said the hardware is great, but the OS went backward.

WM10 feels like the main priority was to make sure everything was consistent across form factors (PC, tablet, and phone) than improving upon what was already there and worked very well.

Sorry, rant over. Don't forget the reason I rant is because I loved the OS and feel like I've stuck with them all this time for an Android wanna be.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm a die hard MS fan (have been promoting WP 8.X since it was first launched) and I'm passing on this. I think the phones themselves are great, and pushing the envelope with Continuum, but WM10 itself is a step backwards for me. Things that made WP different (Glance, Notifications per contact, swiping instead of hamburger menus) is what non-WP people I demoed it to, loved. It was really only the lack of apps that made them stay away. I've been thinking long and hard about what WM10 has over an Android phone now, and I'm not sure if there is anything. Live Tiles themselves are not good enough, but what *can* be pinned vs. Android is just as important.

I must say I'm at a lost at how to respond to "We made this for the die hards". I'm one of those, and am not happy. Like I said the hardware is great, but the OS went backward.

WM10 feels like the main priority was to make sure everything was consistent across form factors (PC, tablet, and phone) than improving upon what was already there and worked very well.

Sorry, rant over. Don't forget the reason I rant is because I loved the OS and feel like I've stuck with them all this time for an Android wanna be.

The 950 is my first wp and I have been a die hard android user/fan. I have a pretty powerful desktop that I use a lot and the integration and consistency of a similar os is what I have wanted for a long time. Just my opinion of course, I know it won't be for many others though.

Halfempty_dg

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
The 950 is my first wp and I have been a die hard android user/fan. I have a pretty powerful desktop that I use a lot and the integration and consistency of a similar os is what I have wanted for a long time. Just my opinion of course, I know it won't be for many others though.

That's actually an interesting point. Kind of reminds me of what happened when VW came out with the newest Jetta model. Got new owners since it was similar to what they were coming from, but a little better, but lost previous Jetta owners since it was no longer a VW, but an americanized german car.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Been with smartphones longer than most tech journalists and the level of bias and ignorance (Gizmodo) is astounding!

Starting with the obvious Gizmodo review, the "windows mobile has always been limited" drove me nuts. That comment aged the reviewer as previous to Windows phone 7, windows mobile5 and 6 was quite possibly the most open smartphone OS available. You wanted software support for anything? Make it happen. No having to to wait for anyone to update the is for new apis or hooks.

A few other reviewers mention that fingerprint readers would have been more modern...
My LG Expo, again windows mobile 6.1, had a great fingerprint reader that worked 100% of the time, then the idea of fingerprint reading became taboo until apple did it...

I could go on for days, but my thumbs would fall off.

Now the current Google (alphabet) seems to be more like the Microsoft of old, and morphing into Apple. Apple is still Apple, design focused and into telling you want you want. Microsoft seems to have had an injection of something. They seem more open as of late, adding new ideas, like continuum, new projects that seem to excite, like hololens, and Windows 10 seems like a huge departure over the previous versions of windows.

Is Windows 10 mobile flawless? Far from it. What major revision of any OS been perfect from day one?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro