No deals for AT&T Lumia 950 buyers

omagic82

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems like every day I am seeing another deal offered by carriers and Microsoft for those purchasing a 950 or 950XL. Whether it be a free Continuum dock, free cases, wireless charges or a free Xbox One, it seems most of these sweet deals are being handed out to anyone who buys one of these devices except those who purchase through AT&T. It sucks. It is what it is, but it still sucks. Paying for the same device as someone else, but they are getting a free XB1 as well? Oh well, I've said my peace. I'll keep enjoying my 950 and get over it, I suppose.

It could be worse. I could be on Verizon and have no 950's at all.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
At&t is also charging more than anyone else is. $50 more than the unlocked version.

Oh no. Nope. Can't be. Nuh-Unh. Liar Liar Pants on FIRE.

Posters have assured us time and again that buying phones from the carrier SAVES so much money they laugh at poor schmoes like me who pay outright for a Factory Unlocked phone.

That extra $50 you see is an illllloooooshun. The real cost of the phone is only the sales tax on the list price. You just gotta be in the NEXT club and enter into indentured servicetude.

[/sarcasm]

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh no. Nope. Can't be. Nuh-Unh. Liar Liar Pants on FIRE.

Posters have assured us time and again that buying phones from the carrier SAVES so much money they laugh at poor schmoes like me who pay outright for a Factory Unlocked phone.

That extra $50 you see is an illllloooooshun. The real cost of the phone is only the sales tax on the list price. You just gotta be in the NEXT club and enter into indentured servicetude.

[/sarcasm]

Indentured servitude, funny. What you failed to mention is that anyone on the NEXT program can leave at anytime. Pay the remaining balance, take your phone and you're free to go. No contracts. The NEXT program is basically interest-free financing.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Wait WHAT. I need to call AT&T and threaten to go back to Verizon again. They didn't offer me anything.

Just FYI, I got $200 for porting my numbers over (2X $100) and $400 for trading in the Icons (2X $200).
The caveats as I understand them were that you had to purchase he phones from an AT&T corporate store (i.e. not Best Buy, online, or an AT&T retail partner)
If you are not too far removed from purchasing the phone, and you bought them in-store if they will let you go back and turn in your old phones for the credits. I turned mine in 48 hours after I got my 950s so that I could have time to make sure the backup on my Icons went smooth (which it didn't). Thanks to another poster, figured out to set the background on my wifes phone to default to finally get the backup e successful (it would fail at 97% everytime if before I did that). Only issue is now is my old txt msgs have still to show up :/

treeflip7

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Indentured servitude, funny. What you failed to mention is that anyone on the NEXT program can leave at anytime. Pay the remaining balance, take your phone and you're free to go. No contracts. The NEXT program is basically interest-free financing.

This. If you do some simple time value of money equations you realize that it's not any more expensive than unlocked, other than setup fees/tax whatever else AT&T hits you with.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
This. If you do some simple time value of money equations you realize that it's not any more expensive than unlocked, other than setup fees/tax whatever else AT&T hits you with.

Also, if you are a premiere member, then additional fees are dependent on the contract AT&T has in place with your employer...on top of a discounted rate :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Proponents of Next always seem to forget the savings incurred by shopping around on the service portion of what they are committing to.

I recently did a calculation that showed I save $360 a year with my mvno vs an ATT line.

It's an important component in comparisons.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Can we just add a Sticky with some kind of massive calculator tool and all agree to never have this debate again.

As awesome as that would be, it will only work for the regular customer. Yes, I understand that's the vast majority, premiere and business customers would be left out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans