05-13-2016 05:20 PM
76 1234
tools
    Well, I prefer having a phone for several years and no burn in, versus having longer battery life and a dead screen within a year.

Maybe I just had a really bad Samsung Galaxy S3, since it got burn in after 8 months, but when searching for AMOLED with burn in, there's just SO many pictures of burn ins on these screens. I kinda think that people that is pro for this technique actually ignores the problem with it, and just says "nah man, doesnt ever happen".

Because it seems like a common problem.
    I do acknowledge your point. But it also depends on on usage. You use it continuously or use a particular app most of the time,some particular areas will burn in like area of buttons which display the same thing most of the time. You might not get burn in if use your phone for a long time but use various apps. I've read in these forums that someone having oled display had burn in in shape of the buttons in the bottom area because he used WhatsApp most of the time.😳
    12-01-2015 06:59 AM
    I haven't played with the settings at all because I don't (yet, 950 due on the 8th!) have a phone with an OLED display. I definitely will check this out when I do. What I was talking about is the OLEDs I have seen on in-store display devices, friends/colleagues phones & the display on my Band 2 (which I can't adjust). And I was contrasting this with the LCD displays I've seen in the same situations where I can't think of even 1 that has had the over saturation or off-whites.

The tests of OLED displays that I have seen show the displays exceed sRGB (sometimes be a lot) where a good LCD is very close to sRGB. It's a feature of OLED and leads to the vibrant or saturated colours. Some of this can be adjusted through colour profiles modifying saturation, balance, etc. but that is all a compromise (e.g. 'fix' one aspect but compromise another).

The white balance is fairly well documented in forums and other places, OLED phone displays have at least a history (if not present) of off-white whites. I have found this changes with ambient lighting too, my Band in particular looks like it has blueish whites in some situations, orangey in others and sometimes just plain white, where the LCD in my 920 looks the same kind of white in all conditions.

I'm not saying LCD (or OLED) is better AND I'm really looking forward to trying out my Lumia 950 (complete with OLED) when it arrives next week. I'll certainly try adjusting the colour profiles if I'm not happy. I was just mentioning 2 aspects that really stood out to me in the displays I had seen. Equally an LCD has downsides, the backlight for one is a source of constant annoyance for me.
    Yes please do check with the settings. They are releasing their flagship device after a long time their display must be calibrated pretty nicely. And if my memory serves me right , the colour profile is set as"VIVID" (adds punch to the colours) initially, so that's why you saw the oversaturated colours on the in-store display phones.😊
    12-01-2015 07:06 AM
    I had a purple dot in the upper left when my 950xl booted. At first I thought it was a messed up pixel, but it only showed on boot. Other than making the OS look about as polished as Ubuntu Narwhal, I don't think it did anything. Though I only used my phone for 3 days before I sent it back.
    I've got the same dot on my 950 at boot-up, it disappears just before the MS logo appears. Didn't think much about it until I saw your post.
    12-01-2015 08:46 AM
    I've got the same dot on my 950 at boot-up, it disappears just before the MS logo appears. Didn't think much about it until I saw your post.
    Someone mentioned in another thread that it is probably just a boot curser.
    12-01-2015 09:32 AM
    Another benefit to AMOLED is that it uses less power than an LCD, which will help with battery life. AMOLED is also more expensive to manufacture than LCD.
    But if I recall it correctly, then AMOLED uses more power if it displays much white on the screen, so an AMOLED can be a battery eater instead of safer.
    12-01-2015 09:51 AM
    But if I recall it correctly, then AMOLED uses more power if it displays much white on the screen, so an AMOLED can be a battery eater instead of safer.
    Amoled uses more power if it displays white, comparing to an amoled screen displaying black, but not really comparing to lcd.
    The same way, lcd use more power to display black (depending of the technology)... but it's just comparing to a white screen.
    Oled are more efficient than LCD, it should use less power, even when displaying white screen, at equal brightness. But I don't have figure to prove this, but I've also never seen a good comparaison saying white screen oled consume more than lcd, just that white screen use more power on a oled display than black one.
    12-01-2015 10:08 AM
    I've had several AMOLED screens and have never seen this issue. My 930 is nearly 18 months old and is still ok...
    Yea never noticed any burn in on my 930 either nor any previous amoled phones. I didn't even think about it until this thread. I just use and enjoy my stuff however I choose.

speaking of which, I thought 930 had no glance due to the screen type tech! 950xl has it, why is it ok? Or should I better not keep glance on while it's plugged in? hahahaha
    12-01-2015 10:22 AM
    Amoled uses more power if it displays white, comparing to an amoled screen displaying black, but not really comparing to lcd.
    The same way, lcd use more power to display black (depending of the technology)... but it's just comparing to a white screen.
    Oled are more efficient than LCD, it should use less power, even when displaying white screen, at equal brightness. But I don't have figure to prove this, but I've also never seen a good comparaison saying white screen oled consume more than lcd, just that white screen use more power on a oled display than black one.
    I am no expert either, I just read a bit and on Wikipedia in the article about AMOLED displays I read that an AMOLED could use up to three times the power of an LCD display if displaying a white-only screen.

Regardless of the accurate numbers, my display on L930 is responsible for roughly 70% of all power consumption according to WM's power saver.

Most of the time, I use Edge and News app, so I have much white on the screen throughout the day.
    12-01-2015 10:27 AM
    Yea never noticed any burn in on my 930 either nor any previous amoled phones. I didn't even think about it until this thread. I just use and enjoy my stuff however I choose.

speaking of which, I thought 930 had no glance due to the screen type tech! 950xl has it, why is it ok? Or should I better not keep glance on while it's plugged in? hahahaha
    I'm partially content with glance like ability with Awesome LockScreen. Keep it in mind, its not really glance feature. I switched background color to black and set only to display calendar events and it shows date & time like glance does. BTW i'm using lumia 730.
    12-01-2015 10:41 AM
    I love AMOLED screens for their deep blacks and popping colors. Of all the AMOLED devices I've owned, only my Epic 4G Touch just got a bit of a burn on the screen - but that's after almost 4 years now! If you know what causes it, you know how to prevent it.
    r2SN and InsGadget like this.
    12-01-2015 12:16 PM
    The issue with the 930 wasn't OLED but I believe that the particular OLED screen they used didn't have any (or enough) memory on the screen itself to implement Glance. I don't know the details but Glance operates while the phone is in a low power state and it makes use of memory on the display to store necessary information.
    RumoredNow and anthonyng like this.
    12-01-2015 04:36 PM
    I do acknowledge your point. But it also depends on on usage. You use it continuously or use a particular app most of the time,some particular areas will burn in like area of buttons which display the same thing most of the time. You might not get burn in if use your phone for a long time but use various apps. I've read in these forums that someone having oled display had burn in in shape of the buttons in the bottom area because he used WhatsApp most of the time.
    I tend to play games sometimes on my phone, write lyrics and so on. I guess game UI's and office will burn in eventually after a year or so. Would be pretty ****ty, and I see the entire OLED technology as an defect due to its so shot lifespan.

Sucks that 950 is the only high end WP, cus I like WP, and want something more powerful than my 640. But paying such amount of money for a phone where the display will be faulty within a year is bad.

Android has same problem, at least Samsung.

I love AMOLED screens for their deep blacks and popping colors. Of all the AMOLED devices I've owned, only my Epic 4G Touch just got a bit of a burn on the screen - but that's after almost 4 years now! If you know what causes it, you know how to prevent it.
    Yeah not using your phone will prevent it :P
    12-02-2015 09:52 AM
    You seem dead set on not getting the phone, and I'm not going to try to stop you. But anyone else reading this thread, there is no evidence that you will have burn in after one year. Samsung's hugely popular Galaxy series phones and tablets are all OLED. If they were suffering burn in after a year, it'd be major news. Sure a few people might experience it in specific cases, but odds are you'll never see it.
    12-02-2015 10:42 AM
    I tend to play games sometimes on my phone, write lyrics and so on. I guess game UI's and office will burn in eventually after a year or so. Would be pretty ****ty, and I see the entire OLED technology as an defect due to its so shot lifespan.

Sucks that 950 is the only high end WP, cus I like WP, and want something more powerful than my 640. But paying such amount of money for a phone where the display will be faulty within a year is bad.

Android has same problem, at least Samsung.

Hey man I am not saying how long usage of what thing will result in burn. Might differ from display to display or brand to brand or even person to person.
    12-02-2015 12:06 PM
    I had a samsung focus with amoled when wp7 first came out and I didn't have burn in. I didn't read about it among other focus users either. My mom has the 820 and after 3 years I see a slight burn in here and there but you have to look for it. I guess once you see it, it'll bug you everytime.

Coming from a focus to 920 to 1520 to 950XL, I think this is the best display on a wp I seen so far. It is really clear and the colors pop nicely once you set the display settings to your liking.
    r2SN, anthonyng and InsGadget like this.
    12-02-2015 12:13 PM
    True, I never used it, I abused it for a long time. Only time the screen was off was when I was asleep.

Bit of an exaggeration there, but the point is, AMOLED screens aren't the problem - on the contrary, they make phones and their content look amazing. It's usually the user that's the problem...
    12-02-2015 02:20 PM
    My S6 of launch has never suffered any Burn-in...ive owned and have always prefered amoled over lcd, honestly i could never understand why someone would want LCD over Amoled...one of my main priorities when buying a phone is the screen. I honestly dont think you should be worried about anything, MS going with amoled for these devices (being a former WP fan) is one of the better choices imo.
    Skyway and InsGadget like this.
    12-02-2015 02:58 PM
    You seem dead set on not getting the phone, and I'm not going to try to stop you. But anyone else reading this thread, there is no evidence that you will have burn in after one year. Samsung's hugely popular Galaxy series phones and tablets are all OLED. If they were suffering burn in after a year, it'd be major news. Sure a few people might experience it in specific cases, but odds are you'll never see it.
    Actually I ordered the phone, waiting for the mail man to deliver it. I love WP, and wants a high end version. But believe me, if there was a LCD option, I'd choose that.

Actually its a pretty big thing on Samsung phones and tablets. People just tends to accept it. Try google Galaxy S/whatever and tablet and type Burn in, and you'll see.

I play on my Lumia 640 alot and granted - the games runs badly.

I want to game on my Lumia 950, but I fear that the UI etc might burn in.
    12-03-2015 05:58 AM
    I want to game on my Lumia 950, but I fear that the UI etc might burn in.
    I think you're way over reacting on what is going to cause burn in on your phone. Think about the old CRTs. My parent's freaked when we got a NES because they thought that was going to cause burn in, and it absolutely would have if we left it on 24/7, but we didn't, we watched TV and stuff on it. You're going to do other stuff on your phone, right? You're going to play other games, right? Unless you're morning to night on the same game you'll be fine.

Like you said, look at the pictures on google. What is burned in? The home screen, the stuff that is on the screen every single time that you turn the phone on. My focus had burn in issues back in the day, but again it was the stuff that was constantly on the phone, my status bar and the outline of the live tiles (mostly just the outlines since the tiles would be flipping and displaying new information, IIRC some of the static ones like the phone may have burned in too).
    12-03-2015 09:55 AM
    OLED > LCD all day.
    RumoredNow and broar94 like this.
    12-03-2015 11:32 AM
    OLED > LCD all day.
    I have to disagree.

But that is what makes them opinions and why we are fortunate there are choices.
    InsGadget likes this.
    12-03-2015 01:50 PM
    I am no expert either, I just read a bit and on Wikipedia in the article about AMOLED displays I read that an AMOLED could use up to three times the power of an LCD display if displaying a white-only screen.

Regardless of the accurate numbers, my display on L930 is responsible for roughly 70% of all power consumption according to WM's power saver.

Most of the time, I use Edge and News app, so I have much white on the screen throughout the day.
    Comparing white on AMOLED to white on an LCD isn't really fair. Like comparing idle fuel consumption in a Prius to full throttle on a Ford C-Max Hybrid. LCDs typically "default" to an "open" state, so white uses less power than on the AMOLED. MS used to display a warning about this on phones with AMOLED screens in Windows 8, haven't checked to see if it's in 10.

So, what's your stance on flash storage? It has a relatively short lifespan, much shorter than a magnetic disk. Of course just about every flash drive on the planet does little read and write tricks to prolong the life of the drive, but still, they have a finite lifespan. Of course people don't really care because the speed boost more than outweighs any lifetime concerns. Plus we generally will replace our devices before the drive starts to fail anyway.

AMOLED is the same way. The burn-in (which is a misnomer, they don't actually burn) issue was worse in the past than it is now. Part advancements in the technology, part smarter OS design by Google and MS (like being able to use a colored background with the navigation bar), but it's still there. But the pros tend to outweigh the cons, and it's not difficult to mitigate the uneven pixel wear, so they continue to be popular in cell phones, and soon, TVs. Plus with the frequency that people replace cell phones, most people are on to the next device before the screen becomes an issue.
    12-03-2015 03:07 PM
    I have to disagree.

But that is what makes them opinions and why we are fortunate there are choices.
    Definitely! I enjoyed the OLED screens on my Zune HD, Samsung Focus, and now my 950 more than the LCD on my 920 (and never experienced burn-in), but far be it from me to decide what others like or dislike!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    12-03-2015 05:40 PM
    Comparing white on AMOLED to white on an LCD isn't really fair. Like comparing idle fuel consumption in a Prius to full throttle on a Ford C-Max Hybrid. LCDs typically "default" to an "open" state, so white uses less power than on the AMOLED. MS used to display a warning about this on phones with AMOLED screens in Windows 8, haven't checked to see if it's in 10.

So, what's your stance on flash storage? It has a relatively short lifespan, much shorter than a magnetic disk. Of course just about every flash drive on the planet does little read and write tricks to prolong the life of the drive, but still, they have a finite lifespan. Of course people don't really care because the speed boost more than outweighs any lifetime concerns. Plus we generally will replace our devices before the drive starts to fail anyway.

AMOLED is the same way. The burn-in (which is a misnomer, they don't actually burn) issue was worse in the past than it is now. Part advancements in the technology, part smarter OS design by Google and MS (like being able to use a colored background with the navigation bar), but it's still there. But the pros tend to outweigh the cons, and it's not difficult to mitigate the uneven pixel wear, so they continue to be popular in cell phones, and soon, TVs. Plus with the frequency that people replace cell phones, most people are on to the next device before the screen becomes an issue.
    These screens use diamond matrix pentile, last much longer with less "burn in". Actually gsmarena did a non biased review with real testing and these screens are pretty much some of the best out there.
    r2SN and Joel S. like this.
    12-03-2015 08:17 PM
    Comparing white on AMOLED to white on an LCD isn't really fair. ... LCDs typically "default" to an "open" state, so white uses less power than on the AMOLED. ...

So, what's your stance on flash storage? It has a relatively short lifespan, much shorter than a magnetic disk ... they have a finite lifespan. ... Plus we generally will replace our devices before the drive starts to fail anyway.
    Maybe technically it is unfair but not so if we use the daily usage as the criterion and there it is fact that websites have frequently white backgrounds and both technologies are there to do the same activities; and a LCD display uses the same power regardless of the screen content whereas it is advisable to use black backgrounds on AMOLED.

It is simply sad but until now we cannot do anything about it, it is simply the price one has to pay for AMOLED and the good pictures it can produce.
    Still, I were quite content with the AMOLED of my 930.

And regarding flash drives and mechanical ones, you state the obvious.
    Back some years, I let things like eDonkey run for days and weeks and the typical lifespan of my mechanical drives on a desktop was half to a full year.

So, both types of drives have their finite lifespans and the tricks of flash drives are the simple means by which they expand their lifespans as mechanical ones have theirs to expand it.

I waited too long once in the past to replace a drive and it was a pain to rescue my data, yes, I would replace my device before big problems arise.
    But before my 635 and my 930 I used a Nokia C-3 for five or more years. Well, I am not quite sure I would be able to repeat this with today's phones.
    12-05-2015 08:50 PM
76 1234