Lumia 950 Notifications Bug?

Aaron Wiedman

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I recently picked up a Lumia 950. I should mention that I am a windows phone fan and have been around since Lumia 920 launch. I have been a member of preview for developers previously for Windows phone 8. However, I have not stayed up to date with Windows 10 Mobile.
My issue is this, my notifications seem to not work at all. I have custom text message tones for several different contacts. Instead of their custom tone, I get the general default message tone when I get a text. I have checked everything more than three times. Same issue with my email. I never get a tone or a notification when I get a new email. Same thing with my News App for example, no sound and no notification. I have already done a hard reset once and I have never had any issues with this while running Windows phone 8. Is this simply a bug of the current Windows 10 build? Any insight would be appreciated.

TheKingsEighth

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
You have to go into Outlook Mail app and tap on the three dots at the bottom right, then go to Settings > Options. Towards the bottom of the menu you should see notifications and you can turn on "Show a notification banner" and "Play a sound." For the other apps you may have to check in the phone settings. Settings > System > Notifications and actions. In there you can choose each app and what sound it plays.

Aaron Wiedman

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have done both of those things with no resolution to my problem. In fact the only app that currently is showing as able to send notifications is my messaging. I have nothing else showing up for email or any other app.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Did you restore a backup? Highly recommended to do it as a fresh device. It is a pain, but seems to be worth the effort. I did mine like that and have no notification issues.

Aaron Wiedman

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I just reset the phone and did a fresh install. Did not restore from a backup. I STILL am having notification issues. Individual contact tones do not work and no new email notification sound. Would it be pointless to do another reset and fresh install? I sincerely hope this will be addressed in the next build of Windows 10.

NokiaWhyMS

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Yep, I have the same issue: Outlook Mail notifications not working. As in, there is NO sound or vibrate notification from emails.

I have found other bugs too. E.g., Outlook Calendar snooze doesn't work (at least on the gmail calendar). If I snooze for, say, 5 minutes, the reminder never pops up again.

Also, Calendar is not updating lock screen (it is one of the selected apps to show brief status on lock screen.)

I've a clean device that I did NOT restore from Nokia 1020's backup.

gemini5150

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
This is why I returned my 950. Also the search is so hit or miss with Cortana I never get locations just web info. And sometimes it will show locations to stores but nothing else also it does not show hours at locations like in 8.1 I will just keep the 1020 and wait for the surface phone or when win10 becomes stable and ready for real use. Plus the damn buttons would cut me so bad. I have soft hands. :'( great phone though. Maybe ill get it when its cheaper before the surface phone... We will see.

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep, I have the same issue: Outlook Mail notifications not working. As in, there is NO sound or vibrate notification from emails.

I have found other bugs too. E.g., Outlook Calendar snooze doesn't work (at least on the gmail calendar). If I snooze for, say, 5 minutes, the reminder never pops up again.

I too am not receiving Outlook Mail notifications. All other notifications working perfectly, as they should.
I have checked and double checked that all the appropriate settings are set in both Notifications & actions and in Outlook mail, but this issue persists.

I 'm guessing that this is some kind of bug in my newly acquired Lumia 950, but haven't read too many posts from other L950 user's complaining of this issue. If I knew for definate that it is simply a bug that would eventually get ironed out in a future bug / fixes / update, then I will be happy to keep hold of the phone, but if it is thought to be a fault with the phone it's self, then I'll have no alternative to return my precious L950 back to microsoft.

User's views, thought's, and comments on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Will James3

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue with notifications. I have 3 emails accts. each is a separate tile on the start screen. the only indication I have of a new email is in the Outlook Mail tile which is a combination of all three accts. they are going backwards, and a support call with MS confirmed there is no fixing this. it will have to be an update. really disappointing.

dozer167a

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Right! Now I am receiving all my email notifications with sound.
It's a mystery, as I haven't touched any settings again, so as to how my phone has now corrected the issue, I don't really know, but I'm certainly not complaining.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
You have to go into Outlook Mail app and tap on the three dots at the bottom right, then go to Settings > Options. Towards the bottom of the menu you should see notifications and you can turn on "Show a notification banner" and "Play a sound." For the other apps you may have to check in the phone settings. Settings > System > Notifications and actions. In there you can choose each app and what sound it plays.
I wasn't getting notifications for email, but I just saw this and made these changes. Now I'm getting both sound and visual notifications for my exchange account (work), but not for the other three accounts I've got set up in Outlook. I don't have live tiles for each of them, instead I'm using the single tile and using the hamburger to select accounts once I'm in the app. I did set the notifications for all accounts in the Settings > Notifications. In my Outlook Mail app, there wasn't a Settings > Options available.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
... In my Outlook Mail app, there wasn't a Settings > Options available.
In your open Outlook Mail page, there are three dots and a Settings choice with a list of options including Notifications. Although I have separate tiles for each of two Outlook accounts (each with it's own name), and I'm not sure how your stacked/single-tile setup might differ. Good luck learning and getting past this one.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have 3 email accounts, and was having the same problem with not getting notifications for incoming emails. I also checked "play a sound" for notifications, but that didn't work. The fix to this problem is that you have to check "play a sound" and "show notification in banner." Once I did that, then everything started working perfectly.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In your open Outlook Mail page, there are three dots and a Settings choice with a list of options including Notifications. Although I have separate tiles for each of two Outlook accounts (each with it's own name), and I'm not sure how your stacked/single-tile setup might differ. Good luck learning and getting past this one.
It's all working now, notifications coming in for all email accounts. Appreciate the help!

flair77

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
* BUMP *

Outlook Mail shows 1 new mail notification although I've checked and read all new emails and deleted some as well. Rebooted the phone, removed the mail app from start screen and put it back - nothing works, and the 1 new mail notification remains! Anyone else having outlook notifications acting funny?

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
For the custom text tone, you seem to have only two options (3 if you want silent):
-Set a custom tone (or set as default) for every text that comes in.
-Use the system default for every text, but set each person with a custom one.

Sadly, you can't have everyone on a single custom text handle everyone, and have personal tones work for select contacts. I think I understand why, if it matters. When you set the tone in the notification area, that overrides every other setting, but unlike the ringtone, there is no way, that I'm aware of, to change what the system sees as the "Default" tone for texts. Just what the notification banner will use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon