If you had a 930 would you/did you get a 950 anyway?

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't see that much difference between the specs of the two and knowing that a Microsoft phone is coming next year, I wonder if I should wait before spending that much money. (I honestly don't see myself using Continuum).

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a 930.
While the 950 looks nice, I don't see a need to get one.
The 930 will be getting W10M and I can't see a real world use for Continuum in my every day life.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Depends how rich you are obviously. If you've got cash sloshing around because you're just that damn successful that the money isn't an issue, it'd be an upgrade I guess.

If like me you're as broke as Zimbabwe there is a case for waiting to see what they come out with next year.

I'm getting one because my phone contract is up and need a new phone as I've trashed my current one.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't. 'Cause I did. If your phone isn't trashed, you don't care about windows hello or continuum there basically isn't anything your 930 can't do that a 950 can.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't. 'Cause I did. If your phone isn't trashed, you don't care about windows hello or continuum there basically isn't anything your 930 can't do that a 950 can.

You could argue that about a 1st gen iphone. Screen resolution, processor speed, memory, camera pixels and storage are the only things that have changed and technically don't enable you to do anything more than you could anyway.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
One of the reasons, busngabb, I'm rich enough to have sufficient cash sloshing around to think about this is that I usually try to make rational, informed choices whether and where to spend the cash I have. If it were a coat that was "warm enough" and not badly frayed, I'd probably stick with the old one. But technolust makes it more difficult. When it comes to new technology and the desire to encourage MS to keep at making phones it's harder to restrain myself from getting the newest and best.

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I didn't upgrade to the 950 too cos I don't have the cash to do so.... My cash could take me as far as the 535 and it is really cool. Running Windows 10 fluidly.

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You could argue that about a 1st gen iphone. Screen resolution, processor speed, memory, camera pixels and storage are the only things that have changed and technically don't enable you to do anything more than you could anyway.

Yeah, but the 930 isn't a 1st gen device that suffers from immature technology. That being said, isn't getting the new and shiny new toy why we usually by something new? Whether it's a new car, phone, tv, etc. We all like shiny new toys.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but the 930 isn't a 1st gen device that suffers from immature technology. That being said, isn't getting the new and shiny new toy why we usually by something new? Whether it's a new car, phone, tv, etc. We all like shiny new toys.

Of course it is. Or we'd all be running round with Lumia 435s or Moto Es depending on our OS bias.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I will be upgrading, probably to a 950XL, later this month or early next year. The reason is that some time ago, before I got my 930, I drew up a list of what I required from my next device and part of that was enough memory to take my music collection; allowing me to merge the budget and functions of my phone and iPod. A 128GB micro SD card in a 950/950XL is the first combination which actually meets my requirements.

The other reason is simly that while I've been telling myself otherwise, the 930 is too cumbersome and I do miss the glance screen. I wasn't going to upgrade from by 920 until the deal with the free wireless speaker and portable Qi charger made it stupid not to.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Are you an Insider? Are you comfortable with Windows 10 in its current state? If yes, then you should consider upgrading. Changes are marginal, but not insignificant.

If you are not an Insider, or you find yourself switching back to 8.1 on your 930 due to issues with Windows 10, stick with the 930 until the OS shows more maturity.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't see that much difference between the specs of the two and knowing that a Microsoft phone is coming next year, I wonder if I should wait before spending that much money. (I honestly don't see myself using Continuum).

There is a pretty big spec change. While the 930 may perform adequately, the 950 indeed has much better hardware. Now, whether or not you need that hardware is another question.

The other thing is that if you are always waiting for the next device, you'll always be waiting. We don't know that a flagship to replace the 950 is coming next year, they are only rumors at this point. I have a hard time believing that they would drop the 950/XL and then release another flagship within a year, it just doesn't make sense.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
For me the 930 performance is good enough but I consider to get the 950 XL, not for the better hardware but for the larger display.

Tempest790

Oct 3, 2004
Visit site
The 930 is a great phone but two things made me upgrade to the 950. No LTE on the 930 on AT&T's network and the micro SD card expandability. 32GB phones just don't cut it anymore for me. That said, I think the 930 design was fantastic. Great display (slightly brighter than the 950), perfect screen size, and good camera. Plus, it recorded 4K video too with the latest Windows 10 update.

Coming from any other phone, the 950 is a great upgrade, but from the 930 it's more marginal although I do like the 950 overall.

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a 930 and to be honest i'm more likely to wait until the next one comes along. Even though the specs on the 950 are an improvement, I don't feel my phone is slow in any way and the camera improvements in the 950 are smaller than I expected.

The things that keep me on the 930 are w8.1 (w10 has a long way to go, rolled back last night due to this), and the design of the phone, I just don't like the 950 line. To be honest the 930 compared to the 925 it replaced was a step back in the aesthetics department, but I tolerated it due to the huge upgrade in specs and camera. With the 950 I'm not getting that upgrade so I can't justify it.

I'd like to see what the rest of the manufacturers bring to the table too.

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site

I echo this sentiment. Prior to the release of the 950XL, I was quite eager to get my hands on it. I use a combo of a 640XL and a 1520 at the moment. Seeing the specs of the 950XL and the fact that the latest Insiders' Build (1511) works just fine on my primary device (640XL), I have now decided to sit out this round and wait for what MS decides to release next year. Till then, I am confident that my 640XL will work just fine. It is a robust phone and unless it get damaged in some at of now unforeseen way, I think it will serve my purposes well. The thing is that W10M (in its current state and it can only become more refined over the year) has made the 640XL feel like a new phone and I don't feel the lack of either RAM or the SoC.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I think that the 950 overall is a great phone, and worth the upgrade, but for me 3 things are still holding me back.

1 - my 930 is only one year old, and its in a very good condition (if i was very tempted to go 950 i might sell it, but not yet)
2 - i have a lot of over devices that would make continuum not necessary for me.
3 - the eco system is not solved with the 950, its solved with windows 10, and i have that on my 930.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077