No sounds for txt message or phone calls.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I've got two Lumia 950's. The first one we bought has sound issues. Both have the echo problem when receiving calls, but one of them also has an issue where incoming phone calls and txt messages produce no sound (no ring/txt message notification sound).

Anyone else have this issue?

We are about to go and replace the phone with a new one if we can't figure this out in a couple days.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I've got two Lumia 950's. The first one we bought has sound issues. Both have the echo problem when receiving calls, but one of them also has an issue where incoming phone calls and txt messages produce no sound (no ring/txt message notification sound).

Anyone else have this issue?

We are about to go and replace the phone with a new one if we can't figure this out in a couple days.

I am going to give what seems to be a very "duh" answer, and I do not mean to insult you in any way, just need to check, since I had a similar "issue" with TXT notifications... Not everyone knows Windows like the back of their hand, and I just can't assume everyone does. IF you already tried this, then ignore.

Go to settings - System - Notifications & actions and scroll down and tap on "phone" or"messaging" (not the on/off toggle, but the name itself)
There you will see the notification settings for the phone or messenger, depending on the one you selected. you'll see if notifications are on, show notification banner, keep private on lock screen, vibrate, and sounds.

make sure the important one ("notifications" ) are on and everything you want it set to on. If the 1st one was OFF, then that was your issue.

Also, make sure quite hours aren't on (load up Cortana, hamburger menu on the top left, notebook and then quiet hours)
if it's set full time, you will not have any call or txt notifications unless that person is on your breakthough list, or you manually check the phone.

Last edited:

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I am going to ask what seems to be a very "duh" answer, and I do not mean to insult you in any way, just need to check, since I had a similar "issue" with TXT notifications... Not everyone knows Windows like the back of their hand, and I just can't assume everyone does. IF you already tried this, then ignore.

Go to settings - System - Notifications & actions and scroll down and tap on "phone" or"messaging" (not the on/off toggle, but the name itself)
There you will see the notification settings for the phone or messenger, depending on the one you selected. you'll see if notifications are on, show notification banner, keep private on lock screen, vibrate, and sounds.

make sure the important one ("notifications" ) are on and everything you want it set to on. If the 1st one was OFF, then that was your issue.

Also, make sure quite hours aren't on (load up Cortana, hamburger menu on the top left, notebook and then quiet hours)
if it's set full time, you will not have any call or txt notifications unless that person is on your breakthough list, or you manually check the phone.

No worries. I'm a longtime windows phone user, but I will double check those settings. With the lack of sleep my Wife and I have been getting due to non-sleeping toddler and 6 month old, there's a strong possibility we are overlooking something simple. :)

Deaconclgi

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Same thing happened to me and my 950 and it wasn't fixed until I did a hard reset. My 950 stopped being able to send picture messages last night. I put my sim in the 830 and I can send picture mess perfectly fine.

Looks like I am in for another hard reset. Sigh.

Aaron Wiedman

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I have had this issue as well for Notifications. I have everything turned on, I do have the general text tone and ring tone. However, my contact specific text tones will not work. Only the default text sound works. Also my other Notifications (such as new email, news update, etc) have no sound even though I have them set up. I have already reset the phone and done a "Fresh Install" but that has not fixed the issue. This has got to be some bug in the current 10 build.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I confirmed on the phone that was having issues that all settings are correct.

The no phone call or txt message sound is random. Resetting the phone allowed it to work a couple of times, then it goes silent after that. It's hit or miss.

What irks me is that the Lumia 950 is exactly same hardware no matter which 950 you have, but there have been so many random and different issues. Should all or majority of the phones be experiencing the same issues? I mean, these are things that are popping up on the first day or two of use.

Saml01

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Can confirm, my ATT 950 does not audibly notify me of email, text messages or calendar. Pulling the battery to restart the phone fixes the issue temporarily but it comes back after a few notifications.

Saml01

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Found the solution. That's what I get for clicking stuff carelessly.

Open outlook, tap the ... at the bottom right, choose settings and then options. Midway you will you will see the notification settings. Click on "Play a Sound" and if you want "Show a notification banner". But the "Play a sound" was the culprit even though outlook notifications were enabled in the notifications and actions sub menu in settings.

caresrg

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Problems for me as well. I've got the AT&T version. I am getting notification sounds for phone calls, Facebook messenger, and alarms, but only for texts or Azure Authenticator when the phone is awake (i.e., screen on). Not sure, but I think it has to be unlocked, too.

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Same here with messaging. No notifications at all, not even banner display or a number showing on the pinned tile. Fortunately, I do get a notification through my Band otherwise I'd have to manually check periodically.

xzb6np

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I was having an issue not being notified of texts by audio and found that if you don't have show notifications on the lock screen that you don't even get a audio notification. I think it's a bug.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I'm getting phone call notifications, text message notifications, calendar notifications, but not email notifications. I've got a valid tone selected, there must be some setting that I've got flipped incorrectly for email. Under notifications, I've got all the apps with notifications on except facebook and alarms and clocks. Under each of the apps, I've got the same settings, everything on except "Keep notifications private on the lock screen". Any other suggestions of places to check?

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
nokia lumia 925 build 10586.107 - no text messages sound notification. Have to check manually.
Only delivery reports provide sound when sms is delivered, besides than that, I'm thinking in hard reset.

interesting to note this happened only after update, so...bug?

ivokpop

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
I had no SMS notification at all!!!
I fix it for my self using battery settings and allowing messaging app to run in background.
Now sounds, notifications and counting SMS on the icon works again :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99