Not getting rid of my 950

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Lumia 950 for about 2 weeks now, and everything is hunky dory. My fianc? has even told me on a few occasions that she LOVES her phone.

The camera is really stunning. It's not leaps and bounds better than other top end cameras, but it's impressive none-the-less. Pictures are sharp with excellent fine detail, and low light quality is very good. The "finishing touches" process needs to be faster, but I'm consistently impressed by the pictures it takes (like my av picture).

The screen is excellent. Little washed out from the factory, but MS gives you the ability to adjust some settings, so I tweaked it to my liking. I really like the size too. Solid mix of big enough to see full sites, but small enough to be comfortable.

I have the black, fianc? has the white, and the style is... interesting. It doesn't really LOOK high end, but it doesn't look cheap. It's understated, kind of like a nice black suit, won't win you any style awards, but won't get you kicked out of a nice restaurant. The splash of silver from the buttons helps break up the black a bit too. I plan on picking up a Mozo cover, but I'm not in any rush.

The speaker is loud and clear, surprised me when I first used it as a phone.

The microphones are awesome, of course.

The Hello iris scanning is cool. It's sometimes a bit fickle, but it can recognize me with my computer glasses on and my sunglasses (it can't see through my highly reflective cycling glasses though). Still on the gimmicky side, but neat.

I like the direction of the OS as well. It still needs some work, I honestly wouldn't push it to the masses in the same state as it is on the 950/950xl, but it is suitable for DD use. Still a little buggy/crashy, although after a handful of app updates the crashes and random reboots have dramatically decreased. I do like the higher level of customizability you can do on the start screen as well (you can check for my post in the stuck thread if you're curious.)

All in all, I'm happy with my purchase, and this will do nicely as a device until the next flagship lands. So yea, I'm going to be hanging onto this device for a while.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Me too. I love it and have had zero issues.

HUGE upgrade from my 830... which was a POS.
come on tangledW, didn't you play the waiting game with us for AT&T's release of Denim? i wouldn't say it was a POS.... just nowhere near as good as the 950 :)

Back on topic, I plan to keep mine as it's leaps and bounds better than my previous Windows Phones.... including the 920 that is on my desk with the latest insider build. Run them side by side and it's perfectly clear which phone is better.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I just got my shipping notice for an AT&T 950. If I am successful getting it unlocked I will be keeping it most certainly.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got my shipping notice for an AT&T 950. If I am successful getting it unlocked I will be keeping it most certainly.

did you buy it off contract? if so, from what i understand, you have to wait until after the return period to request the unlock code.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
come on tangledW, didn't you play the waiting game with us for AT&T's release of Denim? i wouldn't say it was a POS.... just nowhere near as good as the 950 :)

Back on topic, I plan to keep mine as it's leaps and bounds better than my previous Windows Phones.... including the 920 that is on my desk with the latest insider build. Run them side by side and it's perfectly clear which phone is better.

Absolutely.

All FOUR Lumia 830s I had were garbage, the 4th being the though obviously.

Bluetooth issues, GPS issues, touch sensitivity issues, unresponsive capacitive buttons, screen blurred & reacted like touching a soft LCD monitor, slow & laggy on both 8.1 & 10, overheating, poor build quality, etc., etc..

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
did you buy it off contract? if so, from what i understand, you have to wait until after the return period to request the unlock code.

Yeah, they told me 30 days then fill out a form/survey online and it will take about a week after that

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely.

All FOUR Lumia 830s I had were garbage, the 4th being the though obviously.

Bluetooth issues, GPS issues, touch sensitivity issues, unresponsive capacitive buttons, screen blurred & reacted like touching a soft LCD monitor, slow & laggy on both 8.1 & 10, overheating, poor build quality, etc., etc..

Ok, the 830 line in general really hated you :p Mine was rock solid for the 4 months I have had it (got it as an inbetween since a drop shattered my 920's screen and was awaiting for the "announced but not really announced yet" 950)

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure who your source is, but I was just at the local MS Store on Tuesday and an employee there had the AT&T 950 unlocked and running on T-Mobile. He told me just went to the unlock request website and entered the IMEI and was surprised to find the unlock code the next day. Rolling the dice here I guess. As a backup I did call up cellunlocker and they even said worst case scenario they would have no problem getting the unlock code.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Not sure who your source is, but I was just at the local MS Store on Tuesday and an employee there had the AT&T 950 unlocked and running on T-Mobile. He told me just went to the unlock request website and entered the IMEI and was surprised to find the unlock code the next day. Rolling the dice here I guess. As a backup I did call up cellunlocker and they even said worst case scenario they would have no problem getting the unlock code.

have used the AT&T unlocking portal numerous times in the past few years.... so, uh.... i guess that is my source. :) If you can have an agent place the request, which isn't easy anymore, then it's possible to get it sooner.If you paid full price off contract, .

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=ohT8m_wG

as you see here "If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device." so it seems like the 14 day period is for early upgrades. this page has changed a few times over the years....

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
have used the AT&T unlocking portal numerous times in the past few years.... so, uh.... i guess that is my source. :) If you can have an agent place the request, which isn't easy anymore, then it's possible to get it sooner.If you paid full price off contract, .

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=8T7Z3lGc

as you see here "If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device." so it seems like the 14 day period is for early upgrades. this page has changed a few times over the years....
Yeah, I am just taking the word of the salesman. I did pay full price for the phone and hopefully have cellunlocker as a backup plan. If I have to send it back no problem, I guess I'd then look to ebay for an unlocked single-sim 950.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Loving my 950. Best phone I ever owned. Once a few minor bugs get ironed out this is going to be one sweet device. You know I was initially turned off by the camera washer, but after a few days it's grown on me and I don't mind it so much.

d1stort1on

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Same with me. Came from years of iphones to an 830. The 830 completely botched an update and I panicked and returned it and went back to iphone, but always looked back on that as a mistake. Picked up a 950 because I broke the mic in my iphone 6 and love it. Much more pleasant interface, fast and responsive, just an overall nice phone.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ah... the silent majority.

I read so many threads complaining of issues with their 950, it's hard to tell how many actually have these problems and how many are just rabid and posting about it over & over again... then there are those that simply don't know how to use a phone.

Anyway, it's gotten to the point where it's comical. All these posters complaining and I'm just sitting here using the best phone I've had. I love everything about this 950.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Ah... the silent majority.
All these posters complaining and I'm just sitting here using the best phone I've had. I love everything about this 950.

I'm very curious about your setup. Today my phone is at 68% battery after 3.5h. Used to take 6 pictures, send 8 texts (2 in WhatsApp), read news in News app for about 20 min and check windows Central app (now).

If you look at battery use over the past week, what are the top culprits? Any chance you would snap a screen of the battery use? Really trying to understand if there are hardware inconsistencies or if I re-flash with WDRT, there's a chance of improvement.

Also, what build are you on and dis you have to disable any background apps, windows hello, etc?

Thanks!

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any special setup, not using battery saver and I'm on the latest build .36 but I haven't gotten the firmware update yet. I'm not blocking any background apps.

Looks like I have to use a PC or a hosted link to post photos, I'm not going through all of that. Sorry.

I will tell you that Edge is the highest user with 19%, followed by Facebook 12%, search/Cortana 8.5% and Groove 8.3%. Background use is at 6.9%. - that's at a 24 hr cycle, but at a week it's almost the same except search/cortana is much lower.

Sorry, I'm afraid this won't help much because I'm not doing anything special.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the 830 line in general really hated you :p Mine was rock solid for the 4 months I have had it (got it as an inbetween since a drop shattered my 920's screen and was awaiting for the "announced but not really announced yet" 950)
My 830 was rock solid as well. I really like the 950, but I'm starting to get irritated by the intermittent functionality of certain features. This morning, I missed a calendar entry because I didn't get any calendar notification. On the other hand, Quiet Hours didn't keep an unwanted txt from getting through and waking me up at 5:00am.

These basic features shouldn't be so hard to get right - they've been included in generations of Lumias and have worked perfectly in previous Windows phones.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My 830 was rock solid as well. I really like the 950, but I'm starting to get irritated by the intermittent functionality of certain features. This morning, I missed a calendar entry because I didn't get any calendar notification. On the other hand, Quiet Hours didn't keep an unwanted txt from getting through and waking me up at 5:00am.

These basic features shouldn't be so hard to get right - they've been included in generations of Lumias and have worked perfectly in previous Windows phones.

Exact opposite for me. The four 830s I had were junk, and I've had zero issues with my 950. I've had it since release and by this point I would have been on my 3rd 830.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers