The GPS on the 950 is AWESOME

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Years ago, on a plane, I was able with some patience to make the Lumia 800 and later 900 lock in while in flight and trace my course on the HERE Map.

My 1020 and 930 couldn't lock in at all.

This morning, I flew to Denver and with Airplane mode activated, I opened Maps and hit the location - it zeroed in immediately and locked in. Tried a bit later - same, and a third time.

I tried to save battery by not doing this too often, but it was so much fun seeing the little dot moving across the map closer and closer to Denver!

Microsoft did a great job here - this phone has the strongest GPS of any I have ever owned - the more I use this phone, the more I am convinced that in every way it is a very substantial upgrade above the Lumia 930!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
That's good news!

But to be technically accurate, it's not just "GPS" that is good, since the Lumia 950 uses at least three satellite-based technologies for location:
GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou. GPS is the first, and was developed by the U.S.A., while GLONASS is from Russia and BeiDou is from China. The combination of these three result in more reliable location readings from the Lumia 950.

The Lumia 1020, in contrast, only has GPS and GLONASS - although from my experience I was able to determine my position 38,000 feet in the air, I was even able to track my flight but there were instances that my location could not be easily determined.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05