Lumia 950 Qi wireless charging: Display noise/interference

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Screen flicker on wireles charging

Hi everyone

Has anyone noticed screen flicker with wavy black lines when you place the 950 on a wireless charging pad?

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone.

When i charge my 950 in either the CR-200 car kit or the DT-900 Qi charger i get an anoying interference/noise/corruption of the display.
It's 100% sure that it is the Qi charging that causes this and it is most noticable when the screen shows white.

Microsoft Support in Denmark has testet their 950 with a DT-900 and has the same problem. But the help ends there. Their answer was: "Well have to pass this on to technical support" And when i asked what is was suppose to do with a ?500 phone that has display issues the answer was: "Hopefully the problem will be fixed in a future update"

So my question is: Do any of you have the same problem or is it just mine and MS DK's phones that have this problem?

Thornton

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Ha ha

I just posted about this... Im having the same problem but with my DT-900 and DC-50

Microsoft support was useless suggested i get the phone replaced.

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Screen flicker on wireles charging

Yep. I have the exact same problem and posted a thread about this just minutes ago (can't post link because i just signed up)
Microsoft is NOT very helpfull at all.

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft Support in DK wouldnt even replace it. They just told me to wait until they technical department had looked at the problem, and that a future update hopefully solved the problem.

Even thu is many years since i studied electronics, i have a hard time seeing how a softwareupdate should fix such a problem.

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Indeed maybe they missed out some shielding somewhere. But your right i cant see how an update would sort this out.

They suggested to me i take it back to where i got it. MMMM that would be the online MS store.

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
They just told me now that "this is a known problem when restoring from a backup"
So they want me to reset the phone and start a clean install.... I dont see how this could have anything at all to do with the interference, but ill do it just to shut them up.

MattLFC

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: Screen flicker on wireles charging

Not seeing this issue I'm in work typing on one now. None of my qi chargers at home cause it either - however none are official Nokia. What models are you using?

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Just did a reset and clean install without restoring a backup - and of course it didn't change a thing. The problem is still there.
Im gonna contact support again and ask for a refund/replacement - lets see how that fans out.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a DT-900 daily to charge my 950, and I don't see any display issues. What exactly does it look like on yours?

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've seen interference on the screen as well when charging with a 3-coil charger (Lumia 950 unlocked). The phone also gets quite warm and even after being topped off at 100% charge it remains toasty on the charger.

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I've been using a DT-900 daily to charge my 950, and I don't see any display issues. What exactly does it look like on yours?

Horizontal lines across the entire screen with a horizontal spacing of about ? cm and ?cm width. The line is darker that the background, so its most noticable on a white background.

And the lines move up/down - kinda like on an old TV set.

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I wonder if they have advanced replacement.
They better have. My phone is my primary worktool, and i got rid of my old 930 an 830 when i got this.

I didn't by it directly from Microsoft, but the store where i bought it, will only take it in for investigation - which should take 1-2 weeks. And im not going to wait 1-2 weeks when the phone isn't even 1 week old.

sutt359

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
They better have. My phone is my primary worktool, and i got rid of my old 930 an 830 when i got this.

I didn't by it directly from Microsoft, but the store where i bought it, will only take it in for investigation - which should take 1-2 weeks. And im not going to wait 1-2 weeks when the phone isn't even 1 week old.

1 to 2 weeks. Here in the UK you have 14 days to reject for refund or instant replacement.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Horizontal lines across the entire screen with a horizontal spacing of about ? cm and ?cm width. The line is darker that the background, so its most noticable on a white background.

And the lines move up/down - kinda like on an old TV set.
I switched mine to a white background app, then put it on the DT-900. Nothing showed up on the screen, no change at all.

Peter Thornton

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I have just got a reply from MS regarding this, and their answer was: "Yes, the 950 screen will flicker when charging with 901 og 201 - that is not a error in neither your 950, 910 og 201"

So bascially they are telling me, that there is a design flaw in the 950 so that the intereference from the charging pad causes disturbences to the screen - but they won't fix it.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have just got a reply from MS regarding this, and their answer was: "Yes, the 950 screen will flicker when charging with 901 og 201 - that is not a error in neither your 950, 910 og 201"

So bascially they are telling me, that there is a design flaw in the 950 so that the intereference from the charging pad causes disturbences to the screen - but they won't fix it.

The 930 had a similar issue when using Edge network. Same situation with interference. Total lack of quality control and mediocre inside build quality.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99